Author Topic: NEED HELP BAD!  (Read 11267 times)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: NEED HELP BAD!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
No, valve guides leak and allow burning of oil. Anyway as Bogart would say, lets just skip it.
The resulting pounding quickly becomes a failure as the loosened seat holds the valve open ...

Would you by chance be referring to the valve guide instead of the valve seat??

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 11:39:17 AM »
No, valve guides leak and allow burning of oil. Anyway as Bogart would say, lets just skip it.

Just trying to learn something.....   :shrug:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 03:16:13 PM »
Man we can make a bad situation worse some times can't we! remember he said the eng ran fine for a few seconds? So valve clearance must have been ok, and now he said all looked good when it was opened up to check! But how do you know the set is ok when it can't be rotated? Are you sure the dowels are where they are supposed to be? This could stop an eng @ Idle and lock it if it found the bottom of the chain and crank sprocket.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 03:25:37 PM »
1900 or 19000 miles? Why were you adjusting them? Did he hear a noise to want this done? Where is Red 01 he knows!  :bigok:

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2008, 01:50:03 AM »
1900 or 19000 miles? Why were you adjusting them? Did he hear a noise to want this done? Where is Red 01 he knows!  :bigok:

Not adjusting the valves will eventually lead to burnt valves.  I know that because of a 900 I bought before and ended up with a burnt valve because they were never adjusted. 

There are two dowels and all the hardware was accounted for.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 07:33:18 PM »
One of the guys I know with a Bandit 1200 with 1900 miles on it.  I assisted him in adjusting the valves.  He never did his initial valve clearance check.  We took our time and adjusted the valves to spec.  When it was all said and done, he started the motor and it ran great for about 15-20 sec and then CLUNK!  It just seized up and we can turn it a little back and forth, but that is about it.  We took the cover back off and look in the head and found nothing wrong in the top end.  Only thing I can thing of that didn't go as planned is when he rotated his motor backwards a little bit.  Any ideas because I am utterly stumped and really need some ideas!

This is also on another board and to recommended he bring the bike to me. I am only about 4 hours from you. Sorry to hear about the delema and you have my number 760-314-7042
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 07:35:35 PM by Blade »

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 01:39:00 AM »
Same person, he is not a member of this forum.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2008, 12:08:57 AM »
We weren't able to find a definite cause.  It seems that it may have jumped a tooth and threw the timing off. Damage was valves and a cracked piston.  The original quote was $1700 to fix it, but they were able to negotiate with Suzuki and got it down to $300.  It sucks, but at least it is now affordable and will have it back in the later part of the week.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 01:35:34 AM »
We weren't able to find a definite cause.  It seems that it may have jumped a tooth and threw the timing off. Damage was valves and a cracked piston.  The original quote was $1700 to fix it, but they were able to negotiate with Suzuki and got it down to $300.  It sucks, but at least it is now affordable and will have it back in the later part of the week.

Usually on a bike with low mileage, when this happens, it is usually a bad cam chain adjuster. I would wager to say it failed and was not adjusting properly. Also I do not believe that one tooth off is enough to cause piston to valve mating. I am wondering if a valve keeper let go? Maybe a bad or weak valve spring. I have had a keeper let go before.

Glad you go it down, because $1700.00 is way high price. For that price or very close to it I could have installed a set of JE Standard bore 11 to 1 forged pistons and had the head fixed with a valve job.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 01:44:52 AM »
I am sure if I would've tore into it myself, I would've found the culprit.  They did say that the timing was off, but I don't know by how much.  I personally don't trust stealer's mechanics too much.  I'lve seen too much shady stuff come out over the years.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 01:48:35 AM »
I am sure if I would've tore into it myself, I would've found the culprit.  They did say that the timing was off, but I don't know by how much.  I personally don't trust stealer's mechanics too much.  I'lve seen too much shady stuff come out over the years.

Proably, I wish I could have see it. But hopefully they will do a good job, but my money is betting they won't.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 01:49:59 AM »
At least it will then fully fall on them.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 02:38:21 AM »
At least it will then fully fall on them.

Maybe, but then I don't put to much in to dealers!

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 02:41:12 AM »
Neither do I.  My Bandit have been to them once.  It was for my initial valve check to put me into the system.

Offline JEM

• First Post! Be Gentle!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
Glad you got it resolved. Weird!
Jim
2005 Bandit 1200S
1981 CB900F