Author Topic: NEED HELP BAD!  (Read 11265 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Re: NEED HELP BAD!
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »
Something funny happened.  They got all the new parts installed and started it up.  It did the same exact same thing again.  Here they are trying to blame us and they have it do the  same thing after they (supposed qualified mechanics) worked on it.  Something odd is definitely going on with that motor.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2008, 02:14:12 PM »
In a weird way.... that's good news.  Keep us posted please...
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2008, 07:58:57 PM »
Sounds like it needs to have the clutch pulled to isolate whether it is the egine part or something in the transmission area.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2008, 10:19:54 PM »
it is apparently the engine part.  The timing was off again.  It seems that it is jumping a tooth and causing damage.  It sucks because of the time lot, but good in the sense that it is backing him up that something is definitely wrong with the motor.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2008, 11:22:29 PM »
it is apparently the engine part.  The timing was off again.  It seems that it is jumping a tooth and causing damage.  It sucks because of the time lot, but good in the sense that it is backing him up that something is definitely wrong with the motor.

Wow, I am wondering if the crank gear is bad? The crank sprocket is an integraded part of the crankshaft. But with out seeing the engine, I could not tell you for certain.

Reasons for it chain jumping:

bad cam chain tensioner
bad or missing cam chain guides (must be real bad)
bad or broken gears
worn out cam chain

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2008, 11:52:38 PM »
They said that they looked at the bottom end after it happened the second time and couldn't find a problem.  My educated guess seems to head in the direction of a bad cam chain tensioner.  This especially comes to mind considering the low mileage of 1900 miles.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2008, 12:18:23 AM »
They said that they looked at the bottom end after it happened the second time and couldn't find a problem.  My educated guess seems to head in the direction of a bad cam chain tensioner.  This especially comes to mind considering the low mileage of 1900 miles.

With out seeing though, your guess is as good as anyones.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 01:30:18 AM »
Apparently the problem was the metal piece inside the  spark plug boot fell out and then inside the motor.  I believe that it was million to one chance of something like happening.  It apparently got wedged in one of the cam chain teeth and got stuck there causing it to jump a tooth.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
Apparently the problem was the metal piece inside the  spark plug boot fell out and then inside the motor.  I believe that it was million to one chance of something like happening.  It apparently got wedged in one of the cam chain teeth and got stuck there causing it to jump a tooth.

Not saying that can happen, but sure sounds hard to swallow to me. Especially the way the spark plug boots are made. Were the coils removed when the valves were adjusted? I always remove them just so I have more room to work and to get he valve cover out. They never go back in until after the valve cover is back on and the plugs are installed.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 02:50:10 PM »
I personally don't ever remove the coils to do a valve job.  I didn't do the work, so all I got to go on is what he tells me.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 08:17:10 PM »
I always remove the spark plug boots then blow out or inspect the wells to insure no debris before removing the spark plugs (dirt bike habit) to remove the cover. I have heard of the electrode breaking off, even the porcelain insulators, but I have never heard of a boot falling inside the engine through the spark plug hole. But I suppose there is a first time for everything.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2008, 12:00:43 AM »
I always remove the spark plug boots then blow out or inspect the wells to insure no debris before removing the spark plugs (dirt bike habit) to remove the cover. I have heard of the electrode breaking off, even the porcelain insulators, but I have never heard of a boot falling inside the engine through the spark plug hole. But I suppose there is a first time for everything.

It didn't fall in the sparkplug hole, the valve cover was off for a valve adjustment.