Author Topic: Newbie with clutch problem?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline 97bandit

• New user!
Newbie with clutch problem?
« on: May 05, 2006, 03:34:57 PM »
Hi Gang, sorry if this has already been talked about. I have a 97 1200s and when shifting into 2nd and 3rd even through the clutch seems to disengage "Example, when you come to a stop pull in clutch rev motor bike doesnt move" I tryed to bleed clutch I made it worse now it feels like it doesnt want to shift into any gear unless I foce it sa little more , Any help would be Ausome

Thanks
tbonebandit

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 04:02:53 PM »
Is it leaking fluid?

When you pull the lever, is the slave cylinder pushing the rod fully?

How old is the fluid?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline 97bandit

• New user!
Newbie with Clutch problem
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »
Thanks Paul

I have no leaks, I changed the fluid a few months ago Im not sure about th eslave cylinder but the clutch handle has to be out almost all the way to engage and yesterday I blead the system but when I put the bike up on the center stand start it up. Wants it heats up when I try and put it in gear it bangs into 1st and also 2nd and 3rd and when off of stand bike lerches forward a little but if I pull in clutch put in neutral tire spins?. I did change oil from synthetic 20w50 to reg 20w50 again a couple of weeks ago but every thing was fine except for the bang in first and bang into 2nd. When I ran synthetic clutch slipped alittle and always banged in 1st, notchy into 2nd, and not as bad into 3rd and nice in 4th 5th

Thanks

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 08:49:44 PM »
This is just a guess but you may have some micro air bubbles still in the line. Bleeding brake/hydralic lines can be a bitch. The best way I've found when bleeding is when you let out the bleed valve to let some fluid/air out and then tighten up the bolt, continue pumping lightly a bit to really work out those air bubbles. It's a pain but you will see some micro bubbles come out of there with the lid off. Don't give up. Give her one more shot. Take off the lid and loosen the screw to let some fluid out, in a smooth steady motion pull the clutch in and as you are still slightly pulling in quickly close off the bleed screw. Let off the clutch lever and now gently pump the clutch. Be carefull as there will be almost a fountain of brake fluid if you pump too hard. Do this for 30 secs or so then add fluid as nessesary. You're almost there just a little more patience and you should be fine.

You may also want to pump a bit and wait for a little while to let any micro bubbles work there way to the top before topping up fluid. It's a bit of an art but since you can shift gears at all means there is some pressure there in the lines so you're not too far off. YOu'll get it.
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline 97bandit

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:06:03 AM »
Thanks, I will try tomorrow now that I have some hope and will reply to let you know how I made out.

Offline 97bandit

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 06:39:46 AM »
Thanks Rider123,

That was it! now I'm  :motorsmile: