Author Topic: Pilot Screw Settings? Please help me......98 gsf600s  (Read 20414 times)

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
Pilot Screw Settings? Please help me......98 gsf600s
« on: March 22, 2006, 12:00:16 PM »
Hi, I got my 98 bandit 600 not too while ago and as maintenance I cleaned out the carbs,put a fuel filter in andthe whole nine yards and of course to be thorough I removed the pilot screws. Except I didn't have the settings because the previous owner had it running rich because of the cold. Now I don't know the turns and my stupid clymer never mentions the settings except "factory preset" where the number of turns goes. If anyone knows the settings for this bike or even manually messed with their screws to perfection and knows the settings please email me. Don't want to miss out on any Texas Riding.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
air screws
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2006, 01:50:14 PM »
Mine were messed up bad when I got my B6.  A previous owner tried to compensate for lean jetting with backing the screws way out.  Do you have a jet kit?  If you don't its sure is worth the money.  It really wakes the little B6 up and makes it much easier to ride.  Plus, with a kit like the Holeshot one, they give you all the settings.  If not, I'd start with 1 1/4 turns out and go from there.  Its a pain trying to reach those little screws when the carbs are mounted.

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2006, 02:15:12 PM »
Thanks alot for the reply. another add-on question. The jet kit I saw is for 85 on the site w/out filter holeshot. Do you know how long it takes to put in and how hard is it to do. What I'm really saying is I'm not a mechanic but I know my way around and have put many days into my bike to be a solid runner. And  I've been using my clymer for maintenance reference so that shows I'm a little green but I can hold it under my belt to fix the wiring and clean carbs and do things like the brakes/brake fluid.(done all those, my bike's wiring was problematic and found someone had cut some front electrical cords for no reason).

Offline 97RedBird

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2006, 08:50:48 PM »
Just to let you know I am between 1.8 and 2 turns with the stock jets and exhaust.   2.5 turns was to rich (my opinion)

Good Luck!
- Nathan
96 B6S

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 01:56:44 AM »
Just a side note: I have poor low end acceleration and must obtain 3-4k rpms to get moving. Tacoman mentioned a holeshot kit and I was also wondering if that would be the best way to fix the problem. And has anyone put here put a kit such as that on a bandit 600. I was reading it really shaved off the warmup time. Also when I was messing with the carbs I noticed some times when I gave it throttle(in neutral) that I would get it to 5k rpm and when I let go it would drop to 2k rpm for either 1/2 sec or couple secs before returning to 1.2k rpm. (PS:cheers to myself today for getting my choke cable in the mail and installing it, the other one was sticking. This is just one more of many small details I've come to notice on my bike).

AND  :thanks:  for the replies g

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:18:43 AM »
If you running a stock pipe and stock air filter try one radio shack shim on each needle and two turns out +or-.
Are you at sea level?
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
jet kit
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 01:45:54 PM »
I would tell any B6 owner if they don't have a jet kit, put one on!  Its mandatory and its why I still have my B6 today.  I have the Holeshot stage 1 (I would probably skip the KN filter to save some $$) and it was easy to install.  The shims install from the top and you only change jets in carbs 1 and 4, you don't touch 2&3.  The instructions are very good.  If you put one in we can give you some extra helpful hints.  With the jet changes and the ignition advancer you won't have to wind the thing out to take off, you get a lot more low and midrange.  Jet away!

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 11:41:44 PM »
Was out of town this week for work so I wasn't able to check out the forums but am now planning on ordering a jet kit tomorrow (extra work hours = more money for my bike) . Thanks for all the replies and I'm sure glad I found this awesome messageboard. David out.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
jet kit
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 02:45:32 PM »
One more thing, there are some helpful hints not mentioned in the instructions when you go to put the jets in.  Let us know when you plan to put them in and we'll give you the rundown or you may be able to locate old posts.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 03:55:16 PM »
If one of you 600 guys wants to put together a jet kit install how-to, I'll be more than happy to put it in the FAQ.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 06:17:47 PM »
Just ordered the kit and hopefully I'll get it before the weekend arrives.....david out

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2006, 06:28:24 AM »
What kit did you order? And from who? And how much did it cost?
If you don't mind me asking!
 :congrats:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 01:52:52 PM »
I ordered the holeshot jet kit stage one (mainly because I saw dales 1200 project bike and I felt where better to buy than a man who respects the bandit). I ordered without the k&n because some of the friends I've made riding got it for me cheaper than the price difference between the kits. It was around 90 after shipping and ordering was super easy, you call it in and it ships the next day. Oh Yeah,  I'll try to take pictures throughout the install and try to put together a how-to, hopefully though the instructions will be pretty straightforward for others who come along but just incase people can't live without pictures. Davidk out.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
kit
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2006, 02:29:53 PM »
The instructions for this are very good.  I noticed a few things when I installed mine and actually talked to Dale about them (very nice guy, will answer the phone and talk to you with any concern).  In short, watch for these items.  When removing the float bowls on carbs 1 & 4, use a good quality, sharp screwdriver.  These little screws are soft and are stuck in pretty good, careful not to strip.  The bowl covers hold in the float hinge pin, very tiny little part.  Your carbs will be verticle as you don't need to disconnect the cables (instructions show this).  However, be mindful of those hinge pins as they can fall out.  Last, the ignition advancer is press fit so be sure its on straight.  Turn the rear wheel to turn the motor to make sure it runs true and doesn't strike anything.  Other than that, very easy.

Offline davidk

• Board Regular!
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2006, 11:36:33 AM »
Just a followup -
      IMPORTANT - HAVE A REFERENCE BOOK  or a friend who can help you. ALSO NEEDLENOSE PLIERS which help putting the cables back in. I was unable to take pictures as I forgot to put my camera in my bag and I had already pulled the carbs. Besides that I must admit since I have previously removed my carbs and work on them that all this was very easy. I had it all done in 1 1/2 hours for the Jet Kit. The only thing is to really make sure you set the float bowls correctly and a fine measurement tool helps. Also make sure when you put the new needles that you need to be careful with the diaphram and makes sure it sets correctly.
      The kit also came with a 5 degree timing advancer. IMPORTANT -YOU WILL NEED A TORQUE WRENCH or have an electrician for a father who has this stuff :bigok: . You will also need a 6mm hex socket for this task. This was important for putting back in the center nut with 18lbs force. I was lucky with having the torque wrench and even luckier my friend had one hex socket, the 6mm.
      I also threw on a 17 holeshot pipe I acquired at a motorcycle shop sale that sweetened the deal. Its funny when you listen to the bike with just the elbow pipe
     OVERALL - The jet kit is probably the best buy for your bandit that you can make as I noticed immediately the difference. In a sense I basically put life back into my bike and for the following week I've taken it everywhere regardless of practicallity. You won't regret it. As for the pipe it basically makes your bike say "Listen to this...." in an excellent cool way. Louder than the stock but loud as in good power loud, not a harley type where you don't know if it's dying, backfiring or wishing it was a suzuki. basically vroom loud. I hope this helps and now I must go on to admire my bike a little more. David from Texas.