Author Topic: Poor mans chain oiler  (Read 2300 times)

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Poor mans chain oiler
« on: March 24, 2009, 07:09:39 AM »
The Poor mans chainoiler.
Last week, having totally shagged out my chain, yes it was well on its way out but, oh just one more run, well we made it to the red backs rally, but with a bit of rain on the way home was its lot. Combined with the REX’s lack of a centre stand, lubing the chain, is let’s just say a pain in the efen butt. So first thing Monday morning it was down to the local shop, cough what? Cough. $320.00 ouch…..As my gonads started gently rubbing my tonsils. Cough.

Got home sat the father in law down and said very firmly, we gotta make a chain oiler and now.( I had 2 days of motorcycle couriering to do, and the weather was looking as if it may well rain. (It didn’t) But it didn’t matter our cheap ass chain oiler worked a treat.

I carry the syringe and a 80cc container of my favorite liquid love for my chain rapped up in rag in a zip lock bag under my seat. Knowing that my unit takes 7 minutes to start feeding on to the chain I inject 6cc into the line then fuel up, by the time I’m fueled up and paid, the oil is just starting to feed onto the chain. I now do this every fuel up, and surprising enough its making less of a mess of my back wheel than the spray on stuff.
Works a treat, and costs 2/10ths of f*#* all.

Ok materials needed 10 or so cable ties, some long enough to go round the swingarm.
3 ft to 4 ft of hospital grade clear air line, 4 mm I/D
1 10cc syringe
145w diff oil. Or your choice of liquid luv (But I did note that DID do recommend 80/90w)
1 wire coat hanger (care must be taken here, her in doors will never see it again.)
If bobbins are not fitted to facilitate the use of a paddock stand 1 bolt and 2 washers are required.

Method
Cut and shape coat hanger to fit to the swing arm where the bobbins would fit for a paddock stand. 5 maybe 10 minutes. Make sure the wire end finishes half inch from the very bottom of the rear sprocket.
Now with the airline and cable ties run the line starting at the sprocket end just touching the chain. Work the line along the wire then the swing arm and up the rear frame rail.
Cut off excess, and where it is easy to get to and fit the syringe.
Fill syringe with diff oil I use 145w and I use about 6cc at a time. Depending on how long you make the length of the hose, will regulate the time it takes the oil to work its way down the hose, so do a check and time it. Ambient temp will also vary the time too.
My unit takes about 7 minutes to start feeding onto the chain. And feeds onto the chain for a further 10miutes. To slow the flow tighten the last cable tie to semi crush the hose.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 07:18:58 AM by B6mick »
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Poor mans chain oiler
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 10:29:04 AM »
 :worthless:

Sounds a lot like the Loob-Man set up - which works very well...
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Poor mans chain oiler
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 02:50:30 AM »
As requested, it worked so well on the REX, and the B6 also having a near brand new chain. I fiqured I'd spend the 20 odd minutes and wip up another one.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 02:52:56 AM by B6mick »
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.