Author Topic: Problems with my starter motor  (Read 2763 times)

Offline pacman76

• New user!
Problems with my starter motor
« on: June 26, 2011, 11:44:38 AM »
Hi,

I am new to this site and fairly inexperienced when it comes to mechanical stuff. Really hoping someone can help me.

I have a 2002 Bandit 600 (mk2). I suspect I need to replace my starter motor. I can bump start it but can not start it with the electronic start button. I have tried to jump it from my car but this doesn't work. When I press the start button I can here ticking but it doesn't fire.

I have looked on ebay and can find 2nd hand starter motors for under £50. I wondererd whether i could get a reconditioned one but can't seem to find anything on the net.

My main issue is that I can see no way of removing the two screws that attach the starter motor to the bike. They are in such an awkward place i can't get to them easilly with any tool that I have. I have a Haynes manual and it doesn't say I need to remove any other parts (except disconnect the battery).

:thanks: in advance for any help advice on how to remove the old motor.

Pascal

Offline banditv

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Problems with my starter motor
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 05:51:56 AM »
the ticking you hear, is it from under the seat somewhere?
and how many miles are on your bike.
if its clicking, but not even turning over, get the battery checked first.
the ticking is usually caused by low voltage under load.
the battery may have good voltage if you check it with a multimeter, but it mat drop heaps under load which points to a tired battery.
get a multimeter  and put it on the battery and check the voltage, it should be 12.5 or better, then with the meter still on the battery, thumb the starter and see what the voltage drops to. if it only goes to 10 volts the battery is probably fine, but if it drops off below 8 volts it wont be able to supply enough current to turn the motor over, supply the cdi and coils and the lights as well and it will just go blah!

Offline pacman76

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 06:02:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

I would need to go and buy a meter to check the voltage however the test I did trying to start the bike whilst hooked up to my car battery may confirm that the battery is not the cause. The battery is less than a year old. The bike has done 30k miles.

I removed the bike battery and attached the car battery to the  positive and negative. The problem remained ie bike would not start and ticking noise (heard from near where the starter motor is) when I press the start button.

I also attached the positive from my battery directly to the starter motor and this also did nothing.

Does this rule out the battery and solenoids being faulty?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:04:19 AM by pacman76 »

Offline banditv

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 06:44:52 AM »
if you've hooked up a car battery and it still has the same click, it does sound like the starter could be out of brushes.
you would get the solenoid click but no cranking.
you would prob want a 1/4 inch drive ratchet,6 or 8 inch extension, a uni joint and i think a 10mm socket to remove the starter.
brush sets are cheap, but unless you are mechanically minded, i'd take the starter to an auto electrician to be overhauled properly

Offline pacman76

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
Thank you. I have now managed to remove the old motor.
I should receive the replacement tomorrow and will post a final message after installing to let you know if it fixed the issues.

:grin: Pascal