Author Topic: Helmet lock doesn't cut it.  (Read 3370 times)

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet lock doesn't cut it.
« on: September 06, 2006, 10:28:07 PM »
Love my new 06 1200 Bandit but I gotta say that leaving the hat with the bike is more than a pain. Instead of having the convenient old mounted on the side lock, they have put a very tricky hook under the seat that is next to impossible to hook and unhook a D ring on. And that's after you remove the seat! I don't know if there are after market fixes for this but as one who likes to leave his helmet at the bike a lot, I gotta do something.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline 0to60

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2006, 12:52:12 AM »
For the past year and a half I have been using a very small padlock on the little ring by the footpeg on the B6 (Before then I always carried my helmet with me) . The helmet rests on on the footpeg. Just a few hours ago. a fellow B6 rider showed me the hooks underneath the seat. I did'nt pay them any mind the whole 4 years I've owned the B6. Never too old to learn. My question is won't your helmet scratch the paint eventually?

:?:

The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary.
The only thing that matters is how fast you can get from 0 to 60, because top speed is secondary

Offline Dundee

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 05:09:48 AM »
Do you mean they've lost the lock from the side altogether? Where is the seat release now?
Mick
2001 GSF1200S

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 05:22:28 AM »
I've seen a aftermarket part somewhere that makes it ezer to use the under seat hooks. It's a flat metal that fits though the D-ring and has lips on both edges so it can't go all the way through and a hole on the other end that fits on the hook. I think maybe Dennis kirk was it, not sure. I haven't tried one, just saw it somewhere.
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can

Offline zeebandit

• Board Homesteader!
D ring extender
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 10:48:30 AM »
You should be able to get one at just about any dealership. :bigok:
Free thinker and proud to be a member of a board that let's me be one.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »
I think if your careful you won't scratch the paint. As for under the seat, there is a key lock on the underside of the left side body panel for releasing the seat but I still want to get away from having to remove the seat. The simplest solution is usually the easiest and I think that small paddlelock idea on the side is the best idea. Thanks all.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet lock
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 02:28:12 PM »
What i use on my 1st Gen is a Kryptonite bicycle helmet cable.  It is flexible and has loops on both ends.  I loop it thru front of the helmet, then thru its own loop, then thru the grab handle to the factory helmet lock.  Not only does it keep it from walking away but it also wont fall off the bike and hit the ground.  Picked it up at GI Joes for $12.00 or so.
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 05:42:22 PM »
I've got a cable trigger lock that came with my last Ruger rifle.  I loop it thru the face shield.  Much more secure than relying on the d-ring chin webbing for protection.  Someone has to bust/pick the lock which is a lot harder than slicing the chin strap with a knife.

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 09:27:03 PM »
OK. Just got my 06 shop manual. And guess what? It's not a helmet hook under the seat after all. It's just a seat hook. just like the one on the other side. Just for sliding and locking the seat into. Boy, do I feel dumb.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!