Author Topic: Need broken bolt help  (Read 3367 times)

Offline TK421

• Board Homesteader!
Need broken bolt help
« on: February 20, 2007, 11:53:20 PM »
So I'm doing the old "pre-flight" the other day and notice that one of the bolts on the rear grab rail (also where the Givi Wingrack mounts) is missing.  I assume that it has been lost to vibration (it is a Bandit after all....)  Then, when I try to insert the replacement bolt... no go.

Long story short, after removing the wingrack and the rear cowling I learn the bolt has actually sheared off inside the threaded grabrail mount (which is of course welded to the frame.)  I then fill the garage with some really high quality expletives!

So, if anyone has experience with drilling/extracting bolts in this condition, I be grateful if they could advise what kind of challenge I'm facing.  Am I going to have to drill it out totallyand then make new threads?  Or is there some way of extracting the bit of bolt and leaving the original threads intact?  Any speical tools needed?  In fact, should I even attempt this myself or is this a job that needs a professional?  

Thanks in advance. :motorsmile:

2002 GSF1200S

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 12:00:32 AM »
You can buy a bolt extractor kit fairly cheap.....  should come with several drill bits and matching extractor bits.  These can be found at most hardware stores (Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.) and are very handy to have around.

You drill a hole in the middle of the sheared bolt - the trouble is keeping the bolt from spinning and centering the drilled hole.  Once the hole is made (doesn't have to go all the way through) you use the extractor to twist out the bolt - works very well.

Just be patient and it helps if you can centerpunch a starter point for the drill bit.  Good luck.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 12:08:57 AM »
There are new improved methods of easy out tools that come in a kit with 4-5 size tapered easy-outs tools that work by drilling a hole into the bolt so that one of the reverse thread easy-out can be self tapped and tightened into the broken bolt head counterclockwise and at the same time loosen and remove the broken bolt (WD40 soaked). Like the example below.
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-PC-EASY-OUT-EXTRACTOR-KIT_W0QQitemZ4422091620QQihZ018QQcategoryZ303QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item4422091620

Offline TK421

• Board Homesteader!
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2007, 12:33:16 AM »
Wow, guys thanks!  I wasn't expecting such a quick response!  Sounds fairly simple if a bit fiddly, so I think I'll give it a go.

Thanks again  :thanks:

Cheers,
TK

Edit:  centering the extractor on the bolt seems fairly critical.  Do you just eyeball it or is there a technique?  It's a bit of a concern (even if I centerpunch it first) as the end of the bolt is at least 1/4" recessed, so it might be tricky to see.

2002 GSF1200S

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2007, 01:31:22 AM »
As long as you get the drilled hole close to the centre of the bolt, the extractor should work fine. Use a centre punch to ensure the drill bit does not move around.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2007, 01:39:12 AM »
I am a little worried though as those dam grab rail bolts are so hard to turn, as if the threads were undersized for the bolts. I distorted 2 Allen wrench heads getting those darn bolts out on my new 05 bandit to install a rack.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2007, 02:59:07 AM »
Also check the back side to see if the bolt goes through and if so can you grab the threads. Most of the time this is the case and will save a lot of hassle.

Offline TK421

• Board Homesteader!
UPDATE
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2007, 04:49:30 AM »
The bolt is out.  I started drilling the pilot hole for the extractor and it suddenly started moving.  I kept the bit spinning and the bolt spun right out the back of the grab rail mount.  I had the same concerns as CWO4GUNNER so I had SOAKED the bolt in WD40 for about 2 hours.  Guess that loosened it up enough that the little bit of friction generated by the drill bit was enough to spin it out.  Checked the threads, no damage, so all is well.  I'm kinda concerned about why it broke in the first place, but I guess it's just one of those things.

Anyway, a bit anticlimactic but I really appreciate all those who took the time to post and share their advice.
Cheers,  :beers:
TK

2002 GSF1200S

Offline Rocketboy

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Need broken bolt help
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2007, 12:49:38 PM »
Tk421, why aren't you at your post?!? :stickpoke: