Author Topic: Spark Plugs  (Read 23485 times)

Offline Skaweek

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark Plugs
« on: September 22, 2005, 11:22:54 PM »
What is the best spark to use in the Bandit 1200S?  :thanks:
Drive Fast...
01 Bandit 1200S

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Spark Plugs
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 01:48:37 AM »
Quote from: "Skaweek"
What is the best spark to use in the Bandit 1200S?  :thanks:
      #8809's $2.00 ea walmart champion's, they have been in my 98 B12 for over 12000 miles where as the ngk's for $6.00 ea fouled out dead every time i left the start lever on too long, they are a bit hotter. Only ones i will ever buy again, better mpg too! Just use the book in w mart they fit the intruder too.    :motorsmile:     :beers:

THE best???  Autolite 4162     Thru the years of tune ups on cars, bikes etc, the only problem with autolite, ac's, I've found, is they corrode and come out of the head a bit harder after many miles! Champions are nichel coated or? Haven't used the auto's in the bandit but have in my intruder! I know one thing for sure! @ a buck thirty for the auto's NGK need to get a grip!! As long as the rubber plug on the bandit is sealed well! maybe not a problem! :sparkplug:  :stooges:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Spark Plugs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 03:30:36 AM »
THE best???

Autolite 4162
[/i]

The favored plug of Bandit tuning guru Dale Walker. This Autolite plug was designed specifically for the 1200 Bandit. And they're dirt cheap, like Champions. They'll go the 15K recommended service interval on the 2G, no sweat. Might not get 'em at Wally World (I've never checker for them there), but any auto parts store can get 'em if they aren't in stock.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Skaweek

• TURBO TYPER!
Sparkies
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 07:22:24 AM »
Paul,

I think I'll try the Autolites. I was on the Autolite Web site yesterday and they got a new plug Autolite XP take a look at it. Looks like it would be the bomb, it looks like they don't have one for Bandit yet. Hows your 01 doing, thats what i have 01 silver. No oil problems 5000mi. so far thank God. :banana:
Drive Fast...
01 Bandit 1200S

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 08:40:35 AM »
when u say whats the best plug? for whaturpose do you mean,when i last serviced my 03,the spare parts dept at the suzuki dealer told me the workshop always put in jr8b which is one hotterr than standard jr9b as the 1200 bandit was renown for fouling the standard plug from cold , and a plug one hotter was fine for every day commuting,but i took it out and took it back to the same suzuki dealer to get them to check the colour of it just for interest sake .and they told me the mixture seemed perfect in the colour of the plug provided i wasnt hammering the bike ,but when the discussion lead to occassionally dragging the bike they told me i would definitly have to use 2 sets of plugs'hot for around town and a colder one if the bike was ridden hard over long distance to avoid damaging the motor........????  

slo coach

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Spark Plugs
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 08:58:25 AM »
The autolites are under $1.30 each at Advance auto parts.  I order 8-12 at a time on the website, and keep a spare set.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Skaweek

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 10:13:45 AM »
Quote from: "slo coach"
when u say whats the best plug? for whaturpose do you mean,when i last serviced my 03,the spare parts dept at the suzuki dealer told me the workshop always put in jr8b which is one hotterr than standard jr9b as the 1200 bandit was renown for fouling the standard plug from cold , and a plug one hotter was fine for every day commuting,but i took it out and took it back to the same suzuki dealer to get them to check the colour of it just for interest sake .and they told me the mixture seemed perfect in the colour of the plug provided i wasnt hammering the bike ,but when the discussion lead to occassionally dragging the bike they told me i would definitly have to use 2 sets of plugs'hot for around town and a colder one if the bike was ridden hard over long distance to avoid damaging the motor........????  

slo coach

slo,

Just looking for a little edge (performance) thats easy to change out. I like to bust the sh_t out those Hogs that think there fast. :motorsmile:
Drive Fast...
01 Bandit 1200S

Offline FreediverGa

• Board Homesteader!
which plug for the 600
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 07:59:50 PM »
which is the best plug to put in the 2G Bandit 600's?
I want to change out to new plugs when I install my jet kit this weekend.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 10:02:39 PM »
I like NGK DR9EIX plugs.  They're Iridium tipped and have a much smaller center electrode (0.4mm vs. 1 mm) than a regular plug.  

Iridium is virtually impervious to acids and it's acids that cause corrosion at the center electrode.  Burning a sulphur based fuel (gasoline) creates small amounts of sulphuric acid and the center electrode is affected, rounding off a bit over the miles.  Platinum is quite a bit better than the standard materials, but Iridium is a lot better.

I just had the plugs out of my 2003 Bandit 1200 today when I did a valve adjustment.  These plugs have about 13,000 miles on them and the center electrodes are still sharp and squared off, not rounded at all.  The gap hasn't changed in those miles and with a little anti-seize they went back to work.

While expensive at about $10 each, they're very  long lasting and based on my experience they'll probably go another 20 - 25 K miles before needing replacement.  The body appears to be plated -- no corrosion was noted during removal and replacement, and they came out easily.

Iridium tipped plugs are available from NGK and Nippon-Denso.  The N-D number is IX27.  Both NGK and N-D cross reference these numbers to the J9B plugs recommended by Suzuki.  They're both available in the Dennis Kirk catalog <www.denniskirk.com> and can probably be ordered from any dealer as DK is related to Parts Unlimited.

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2005, 12:12:14 AM »
hey Skaweek.....what type of plugs do you actually use when busting the sh...t out of hogs?
WHAT ARE HOGS ??are they Harley Davidsons??
i presume we are talking about regular 1200 bandits in everyday use here.

cheers slo coach

Offline Skaweek

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2005, 12:04:41 PM »
hey Skaweek.....what type of plugs do you actually use when busting the sh...t out of hogs?

cheers slo coach

slo,

You got it Harley's. My Bandit is stock for the exception of a "Hole Shot" slip-on.

I ran a Big Dog "103ci" SS motor 2 times the other night and took him both times.
Drive Fast...
01 Bandit 1200S

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2005, 12:22:31 PM »
Might want to try the NGK JR9C - Dual electrode.

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2005, 02:33:16 PM »
Quote from: "Skaweek"

cheers slo coach

slo,

You got it Harley's. My Bandit is stock for the exception of a "Hole Shot" slip-on.

I ran a Big Dog "103ci" SS motor 2 times the other night and took him both times.
Hey!! Does the B12 need plugs to do that?? :shock:  I know! :roll: Some of the Big Bore V's are pumpin some big HP!! No limit on em to race from the stops here during biktober or speed weeks! Put em all to rest But one and he was shot BIG TIME!! Makes em real mad when your lunch box is bungied to the rear!!!   :stickpoke:  :monkeymoon:

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2005, 03:12:10 AM »
skaweek...i'm weary of harleys,last summer i'm 70 miles from home on a high speed twisty road in good condition thinking i'm doing pretty good 'isee in my rear vision mirror a bike,he passes me,its a harley piece of dung,so in the big sweepers i'm all over him,then we change roads and its tight and bouncy and my suspension is set way to hard and the wollowy old harley's on his pegs pipes and rims,and i decide to live to fight another day and let him go.....hence my name and i got a lot more respect for them now (harleys)even though some of their riders seem like they are on a mission.

cheers slo coach

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Spark Plugs
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2005, 07:42:16 AM »
skaweek...i'm weary of harleys,last summer i'm 70 miles from home on a high speed twisty road in good condition thinking i'm doing pretty good 'isee in my rear vision mirror a bike,he passes me,its a harley piece of dung,so in the big sweepers i'm all over him,then we change roads and its tight and bouncy and my suspension is set way to hard and the wollowy old harley's on his pegs pipes and rims,and i decide to live to fight another day and let him go.....hence my name and i got a lot more respect for them now (harleys)even though some of their riders seem like they are on a mission.

cheers slo coach

I learnt a heathy respect for the harley, way back when I had a very unstock in fact it was a widow maker of a Z1R. Got creamed in a straight line drag 0-260kph on not just by a bike lenght or two, I mean he creamed me. In 79 my Z1R was pulling mid 10's on a good day.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.