Author Topic: Storing the bike for winter....  (Read 7091 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Storing the bike for winter....
« on: October 27, 2005, 01:46:33 PM »
What are you doing?
  My Bandit is sitting inside my trailer, so I'lll just top off the bike with stabilized gas after the last ride this year.
  I figured I'd start off this thread to encourage you to think about what you need to do to prep your bike for the 'idle months'.
  Taking a few minutes now prevents damage, and makes spring start up so much less painful!

Usually, all I do is treat the gas in the bike with Stabil, since the bike may be rolled out on nice-ish days.
 You'll want to fill the tank up with fresh, stabilized gas as far as you can, and run the bike a few minutes to let the stabilized stuff circulate throught he fuel system, or be prepared to drain the fuel system.

Depending on where you store the bike, you may want to wash and wax the bike,  and at least cover it up.

If the bike is going to be parked somewhere there are 'critters', you may want to cover up any inlets mice, rats, and bugs can get into.
   If it's damp, either polish all chrome, or wipe down all metal surfaces with an oily rag.  No sense finding rust in the spring...

You can pull your battery out for the winter,  or leave it in the bike.
  Either way, you may want to use a maintenance type trickle charger, or charge the battery periodically, maybe monthly.

Cranking the bike up for a few minutes at a time  over the winter probably won't do much good, but, if it makes you feel better....... :motorsmile:

Winter is a good time to do those little upgrade projects you've been putting off, also.

Some people will totally fill the engine with inexpensive oil. I'm not sure it's worth the effort, but it's your call.

There's a lot of other stuff.   It's nice to start the season off with fresh fluids.  How's your brake fluid?  If it's not clear, and  has a brownish color, it's time to change it.
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2005, 08:24:49 PM »
It is worth doing an oil change before storage so the acids in the old oil won't sit there and eat away on things.

Even though winter isn't a time I get to ride a lot, I am usually able to get out at least one day a month and burn a tank of gas, so I don't really bother with any special storage plans. If I'm not able to get in a ride within a month, I will go out and start it up and run it for 10-15 minutes to circulate things and give it enough time to more than charge up for the juice used to start it in the first place - and so the clock won't drain the battery.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Denverbandit99

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2005, 09:48:34 PM »
clock?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2005, 10:33:50 PM »
Yes, clock. A standard feature on the 2G bikes.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Doch80

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2005, 12:51:03 AM »
I know it wasn't winter but when I stored my bike while I was gone for a year I just filled the tank up with fuel stabilizer, ran it for a few minutes to get it circulated then topped off the tank again.  I also changed the oil before I took it to the shed.  When I got there I topped off the oil to the top.... takes a crap load of oil to do that!  I also covered up all the holes on the bike, then covered it.  

I've heard to remove the spark plugs and put some oil in the cylinders but I didn't really have time for all that before I left so I just left it as is.  

When I got back I just changed the oil and got a new battery b/c I didn't put the trickle charger on it like I should have (it's much cheaper to trickle it then to buy a new battery by the way!).  After all that it basicly started right up.

The first time I was gone for a year I left my bike with my dad who was supposed to run every so often.  He ended up not doing that so he had to take it to the shop to get things worked out... gummed up carborators of course.

Yeah, so that's my story.  Just thought I'd add to the post.  Luckily down here in Texas it doesn't get to cold so the bike never goes into storage.  Lucky me!  South of Dallas anyways!

:beers:

Chad
2001 Bandit 1200s
WTFO

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2005, 01:02:31 AM »
Pretty much the same here, fresh oil (I change the oil and filter in the spring), good clean and wax, pull the battery and put it on a charger/moniter.  I also pull the plugs and note if they will need changing the next spring and put some oil in the cylinders.  I usually do a once over on the bolts to ensure they are tight, then do the same thing in the spring, but then I'm kind of anal that way. :motorsmile:
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
storage
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2005, 01:55:40 PM »
I'm with Red in that I do short rides every few weeks to keep things going, of course thats not an option for all of us.  Avoid running a bike for a "few" minutes, it will do more harm than good.  You'll make just enough warm air to create condensation in the oil and exhaust, causing corrosion.  I've had real good luck on my boat using stabil in the gas and some fogging spray shot into the carb while its running.  When it start smoking, turn it off.  I haven't tried it in a bike but my boat has a quadrajet carb with all kinds of small jets and needles and I've had no clogging.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »
Storing the bike for Winter?

I'm not. Thats the ONLY good thing about Florida  :banana:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2005, 02:53:01 PM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
Storing the bike for Winter?

I'm not. Thats the ONLY good thing about Florida  :banana:

That and fried alligator.

Offline Doch80

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2005, 03:23:47 PM »
That and fried alligator.

No... to chewy....
2001 Bandit 1200s
WTFO

Offline Jacknife

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2005, 05:43:54 PM »
Im with Red, but here in the UK I might not get the chance to get you once a month but there is a garage over the road from me and they have a rolling road so might use that. have not used the bike for a few weeks, battery holds its charge well. I'm trying to get out on it this weekend just works on top of me. And when shit happens (very cold and wet/Ice) i'll have to put her a way till March. :banana:
99' B6

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2005, 02:26:28 AM »
I don't store my bike for winter that long but I basically due what's been said here. For anyone out there the most important thing is putting Stabil in a topped up tank and running it for a few minutes to get it in the carbs. If anyone's taken apart carbs gummed up from gas residue knows it's a whole new kind of hurt in the springtime when everyone else is riding!!! And I still ride up to December and I live in Canada but don't listen to me because I'm too dumb to get off the damn thing when it snows!!!
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Vlad

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Battery trick
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2005, 12:46:40 PM »
Since my garage doesn't have a power outlet (condo building) I take my battery out for the winter. I'm also too cheap to buy a battery tender, so I check it periodically and charge with a RadioShack 1A adapter.

At room temperature the batterey self-discharges quite quickly and has to be checked and charged about once a month.

If stored in the freezer (a good properly charged battery will not be damaged by low temperature) the check/recharge interval efectively triples, so I can practically recharge it once in the middle of the winter and forget about it.

There is some sound physics behind this effect. I also keep all my other batteries in the fridge (not the freezer).

Just a trick that has proven usefull to me...
Vlad lives in Toronto, Canada and rides http://bandit.xxc.cc

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2005, 03:12:38 PM »
Doing all that winterizing stuff takes up too much time and money.
I just buy warm clothes and ride it at least three times a month.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:  :motorsmile:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline wndrr

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2005, 08:25:10 PM »
This  thread is just to depressing to think about.!!! I dont wanna put it away  :crybaby:  :crybaby:
97 B12
84 Shadow 700