Author Topic: The ol' carb cleaning question- 01 Bandit 600  (Read 12418 times)

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
The ol' carb cleaning question- 01 Bandit 600
« on: March 07, 2005, 11:14:07 AM »
I've routed around in the old BBS looking for a step-by-step, real-worl experience of cleaning the B600's carbs. No-luck. I do have the Haynes manual, but I always prefer the less-sanitized version you generally get here.

With that in mind, does anyone have a good link that follows someone's experience with this project? If not, expect one here from me in the next couple of weeks.

BTW, I am new to the Bandit. Picked mine up yesterday from a nice guy with a fair price. Looking forward to some healthy discussions here.

Blue Skies,
JJ
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 01:49:29 PM »
I can offer a non-invasive cleaning technique that I've used successfully several times on motorcycles.

Shut off the petcock and drain the carbs with the drain screws on the bottom of the float bowl and retighten when empty.  Then remove the fuel tank for access to the fuel line.  

Pour Techron Fuel System Cleaner into the line, filling the carbs.  You'll need several ounces.  When fuel backs up into the line you're done for a while.  Let the cleaner sit in the carbs for a couple of days, disolving the crud in the pilot and main jets.  

Finally remove the cleaner by draining the carbs again.  Refill the carbs with gas by putting the petcock to PRIME and you're good to go.

Techron makes several types of cleaners. one for fuel injectors, another for fuel systems and maybe others.  I've only had experience with the Fuel System Cleaner.

My local auto parts store, Auto Zone, carries it.  I think most auto part stores do.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
carb clean
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:06:31 PM »
that's a good tip.  Taking apart all four carbs is a pain.  If you mess up on reassembly, you'll have more problems than you started with.  The techron stuff should be better that carb cleaner as this stuffs pretty aggressive and can eat plastic and o rings.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 07:03:37 PM »
If the bike runs good enough to ride, try adding the Techron to a tank of gas or three. You'll notice it get better as your ride.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 07:37:18 PM »
Unfortunately, the bike only runs under choke. Even when warm, she will immediately die at anything less than 1/2 choke. Same holds true if I so much as crack the throttle. So ridding with a tank full of cleaner ain't gonna fly. (She was parked, unpickled, for a year)

In my never ending attempt to take a well-planned short cut, I'll give the techron a shot. I am a little concerned about the effect on the soft parts of the carbs...soaking in solvent has never been good for rubber. But then again, my carb work has never been too good for them either.

Blue Skies,
JJ
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
cleaner
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 07:56:01 PM »
gas additives usually aren't too aggressive.  to be safe I'd recommend buying one that comes in a plastic bottle, not a metal one.  If it won't eat thru its own container it shouldn't hurt your carb's soft parts.

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 11:25:30 PM »
Well I got started poking around under the seat.....and the next thing I know I have the carbs sitting on my workbench.  Oops!  :duh:

And for the record....the varnish on the throttle bodies alone was thick enough for my to leave fingerprints in. So yeah, they need a gooood cleaning. I bet most of the jets are all but closed off with varnish.

Does anyone have the secret handshake needed to hook the throttle cables back up?

Blue Skies,
JJ

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 12:01:44 AM »
If the B6 is anything like the B12, and I assume it is, they're a royal PIA.

Some find it easier to disconnect the cable from the throttle, hook up the carbs, then reconnect the twist grip... but whether you do this or not, it's my experience that it's easier to hook them up before you slide 'em into the manifolds, with the carb bank beside the motor.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 07:48:58 AM »
Finished the first carb last night. That leaves me with two questions:

How do the Japanese train the gorillas to install the float bowl screws?

Does anyone know the spec for these screws? Perhaps I can get some at Home Depot rather than pay $2 a piece for them from Aunt Suzi.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 06:23:14 PM »
You can get them from Home Depot... make it easier on yourself in case of any future need to get in there and put allen head scews in there... they've got those, too. That's what I did when I installed my jet kit.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)