Author Topic: Twitchy brake light  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
Twitchy brake light
« on: March 17, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Happy Springtime folks! (22 C tomorrow in Montreal in March? WTF?  :motorsmile:

I'm prepping my bike for its first ride and I have found that the brake light is coming on almost constantly. The fault lies with the front brake switch. Seems like just blowing on the handle is enough to make a connection. Any ideas how to stop it or what may be responsible?

Just in case something I've done this winter is the culprit, here's what's changed since the fall.
1) removed gas tank and replaced air filter.
2) raised handlebars using the risers that were hiding under the triple tree
3) lost a bolt that holds the right-hand cable guides in place (I was screwing it in and it fell and never made a noise. I have no idea where this sucker went)

2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: Twitchy brake light
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 11:30:11 AM »
I think #3 is responsible.  :trustme:

Seriously though, check the brake switch area for cleanliness and quality of electrical connections.  Sounds to me like it might be "sticky."
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Barbarian

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.straightdope.com
Re: Twitchy brake light
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
I removed the brake handle and discovered the problem -- the brake lever is not fully connecting with the switch.

Turns out the default option for the front brake light switch is 'ON'. It's a spring-loaded switch that needs to be depressed in order for the brake light to go off.
This switch is located about 2 cm past the hinge of the brake lever toward the centre of the bike.

Either the switch nub has worn down a bit (and it's not showing any signs of wear), or my brake lever is not connecting and keeping the switch closed.

I either need to bend that part of the lever, or insert some sort of shim against the lever so it will reach.
2006 650 Bandit S w/ABS