Author Topic: What kinda oil??  (Read 6046 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« on: April 10, 2006, 07:34:04 PM »
I know, you musta had this topic a million times or more --  but here we go -  I cannot really decide what to do!  Bought a brand new bandit 650 and never had a brand new bike before!  It is so totally awesome!!  Just love the handling and the zingy engine and the styling and basically everything about it!

But I'm coming up on 250 km. and starting to think first oil change.  Do I go with dead dinosaurs or synthetic?  Waddaya think?

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 07:37:53 PM »
Use Suzuki M/C oil until at least 2000 miles.  Then switch to Mobil1 5w30 or 15w50 synthetic.  

You don't need the Mobil1 motorcycle oil, just the regular stuff as long as it isn't a weight that is labeled "energy conserving" on the label.

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 07:39:25 PM »
I like Mobil 1. Was using 15-50 but am now trying 0-40. Hopefully someone will chime in or use the search, but I think you need a few more KM's before you switch to synthetic.

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 10:07:35 PM »
I think the wait a while before using synthetics is an old wive's tale.

I go to Mobil 1, 15W-50 at the first oil change  --  have done that for the past 28 years and almost as many bikes with NO problems.

Mobil 1, 5W-30 comes in the crankcase of most Corvettes, ALL Porsches and Aston-Martins to name a few that I know of.  

Synthetic oils are NOT slippier than regular mineral oils, but their additive package is usually superior, allowing more miles between changes.

Lots of choices, but synthetics are worth considering if you want longer mileage between changes and better cold and very hot weather protection.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:35:50 AM »
I've said this before - but for the Mobil-1 doubters out there - try these 4 little tests and see if you get the results I've gotten...

1.) Before trying Mobil-1, try to downshift all the way to first gear while rolling to a stop.  If you're like me - you'll find it's pretty difficult (and probably not such a good idea) to get it down to first gear before you've completely stopped.  Then try putting in Mobil-1 15w50, put about 100 miles on the bike, and try the same thing.  (Smoother)

2.) Also, after your bike is heated up and you turn off the ignition - listen to the click-clack-tick-tick-tick noises coming from the engine.  Then listen to it after you put in Mobil-1.  (Cooler)

3.) If you're sitting in traffic on a hot day, feel how much heat is coming off your engine.  Then try it with Mobil-1.  (Also cooler)

4.) See how long your oil light flickers after changing the oil with dino, then see how long it flickers after you change it with Mobil-1.  (Quicker distribution to the heads)

YRMV

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
What kinda oil??
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 10:46:32 AM »
I like toast.  :bigok:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline rocketman1

• TURBO TYPER!
Oil for Bandit
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 04:39:41 AM »
Go for Motul 5100 10w40, if you can get it.
quieter, smoother gear changes, just improved overall engine performance & feel heaps... love the stuff
Red 2001 1200 BanditS

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
I agree with Paul.  But, I like it buttered with homemade blackberry preserves.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 08:52:05 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"

What?  Toast with your...

Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:24:01 AM »
Mobile synthetic for me.

And an English muffin.  (That's a type of bread, Jim, not a cute little English girl.)  :wink:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
What kinda oil??
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 03:56:05 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
Quote from: "Red01"

What?  Toast with your...

Don't forget the butter & preserves. Makes the worms easier to swallow. :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2006, 10:23:04 PM »
1) While synthetic oils can be used for engine break in, they will also extend an engines break in period. In fact some of the new very expensive German cars come from the factory with Synthetic.

2) Synthetic oils are mre slippery than standard dyno oil, just go to any of the manufacturers sites and compare their wear & shear test results.

But really, doing your 1st changes at 250 km (or miles) is about the same as holding your wallet open at 100 mph. There is absolutely no need for it. As long as you follow a manufacturers recomendations, and even use crap Suzuki Dyno oil, for the next 100,000 miles, you would see very little difference in Engine life. (I know this because a good friend of mine is a Petroleum Engineer who works for a major oil company &  see's all the test results).

Now my friend who I mentioned tells me that just about every oil in a bottle will be fine for obtaining maximum engine life, but the key is service intervails. To make a long story short, your Bandit can be made to run just as long with a dyno oil versus a Synthetic oil, but to achieve this you would have to do more frequent changes with Dyno oil, as it will break down faster.

PS: I use Mobil 1 MX4T in my Bandit as I was able to view some shear factor test results done with Motorcycle specific oils, and Mobil 1 came in 1st over competitive products. (But not by much) By the way shearing of oils polymers occurs in the transmisson mostly)

Don't be fooled by oil marketing departments as just about everything out there in a bottle is more than enough to give your Bandito a long & happy life.

Offline marcostn

• New user!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 01:17:33 PM »
Just choose an oil that you think makes less noises and makes your bike run smoother and colder and go for it. The most important thing is to change it accordingly to the type. Synthetic supports more abuse before losing its properties.
For the record, I'm using Motul 5100 15W50, after giving a try to Shell and Yamalube.

And enjoy your new bike. Doing the basic maintenance, Bandit's engines are really hard to break.
'02 B6N

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 05:53:47 PM »
I picked my oil on it's ability to give my Bandit "Wessonality".  

Plus, that Florence Henderson is H-O-T !
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline FreediverGa

• Board Homesteader!
What kinda oil??
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 06:12:43 PM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"
I've said this before - but for the Mobil-1 doubters out there - try these 4 little tests and see if you get the results I've gotten...

1.) Before trying Mobil-1, try to downshift all the way to first gear while rolling to a stop.  If you're like me - you'll find it's pretty difficult (and probably not such a good idea) to get it down to first gear before you've completely stopped.  Then try putting in Mobil-1 15w50, put about 100 miles on the bike, and try the same thing.  (Smoother)

2.) Also, after your bike is heated up and you turn off the ignition - listen to the click-clack-tick-tick-tick noises coming from the engine.  Then listen to it after you put in Mobil-1.  (Cooler)

3.) If you're sitting in traffic on a hot day, feel how much heat is coming off your engine.  Then try it with Mobil-1.  (Also cooler)

4.) See how long your oil light flickers after changing the oil with dino, then see how long it flickers after you change it with Mobil-1.  (Quicker distribution to the heads)

YRMV

Which Mobil 1 oil are you using?  The stuff for Cages or Motorcycles?