Author Topic: whine or howling from underneath  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
whine or howling from underneath
« on: August 01, 2005, 04:00:07 AM »
i just got a my chain and sprockets changed to the DID VM 530 x link and aftermarket sprockets, I noticed now that between say 1500 and 4000 RPM I get this awful "howl" or whine that wasnt there before. I thought it was my tires being at the end of life, and as it happens I was getting them replaced by avons that afternoon. Got them replaced but the noise didnt go away.
It is definately a motion/cycle generated via the wheels or sprocket somewhere cos it slows and speeds up as the bike does. I hear aftermarket front sprockets can be noisier than the OEM one as the OEM one has rubber components for noise.. Is this correct? I also know the Oem one is about twice the price for this very "rubberized"reason.
I can honestly say I never noticed this noise till I had my sprockets and chain done, and I dont think its the tires as my buddy with the azaros has no problem.
any suggestions?
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 08:06:48 AM »
It could be a few things.

First, check if the chain is too tight and see if it needs to be lubed.

Second, sight down the rear tire and make sure the sprockets are lined up between the engine and rear axle.

It's also likely that the chain/sprockets just need to 'wear' into each other and the noise is normal, but I'd check the other two just to be safe.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 10:29:25 PM »
I agree with Maniac, check the alignment of the rear wheel first of all.  Make sure chanin is adjusted with right tension.  I know from experience that the aftermarket sprockets are very much noisier than the OEM but at half the price are often not a bad substitute.  Give them a little time to wear in also. :wink:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: whine or howling from underneath
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:07:57 PM »
Quote from: "snubnoze"
I hear aftermarket front sprockets can be noisier than the OEM one as the OEM one has rubber components for noise.. Is this correct? I also know the Oem one is about twice the price for this very "rubberized"reason.

This is true! I just put a new chain and sprockets (aftermarket) on mine before my trip and noticed the howl. Perfectly normal.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:53:05 PM »
Same thing happened to me on my 2001 B-12.  I hated it!   :crybaby:

I know that the OEM sprocket is AT LEAST twice the price (I paid $39.00 on Saturday - it was $54.00 retail) but they give me peace of mind.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2005, 10:33:58 AM »
Mine did the same thing.

Sounds sorta like a supercharger. :shock:
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2005, 08:17:03 PM »
My car's supercharger is quieter.  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline B12Teuton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 10:59:05 AM »
My car's Turbo is not, especially when you close the throttle and it dumps the boost. :bigok:
Manny
ATGATT (all the gear all the time!)
2006 KTM450XC Thump-whore

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: whine or howling from underneath
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 02:12:35 AM »
Yup, turns out thats what it is, The noise was indeed caused by the aftermarket front sprocket. Also, however the chain was put on too tight which contributed to the noise. After loosening the dang thing by the stealer that put it on, the noise reduced by about 30 to 40 %, which almost makes the noise thats left tolerable. Even the noise left over might diminish some as the AM sprocket wears into the new chain set up.

We'll see if after a few weeks and a few hundred clicks it gets annoying still, I might have to fork out the $60 CDN to get the OEM version and install it instead.

Good to know though that nothing seriously is wrong though.

A mechanic friend mentioned that some sprocket covers have hole's in it, and if that is the case then I may NOT get used to it then he could see it becoming an annoyance cos of the cover being very thin also.

Other than that, Love it when your new chain/sprockets allows for the kinda "launches" that you fell in love with when you bought the bike new hey?.. And gotta love those AVON's!
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Edmonton
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 12:01:35 PM »
Hey Simon!

I live in Morinville (15 mins north of you), and just went through the hassle of looking for a rear tire,... where did you get yours from?

stormi
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: Edmonton
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 03:44:46 PM »
Quote from: "stormi"
Hey Simon!

I live in Morinville (15 mins north of you), and just went through the hassle of looking for a rear tire,... where did you get yours from?

stormi

Argyll Motorsports, southside, Im sure you know it. You know the ones who have their noses up in the air!

They actually have the best install prices... $50 for rear and $29 for front. They apparantly bought up all the Avons available from a Calgary distributor. This leaves nothing for any other stealership to purchase.

later.. Hey You know Bazza?...St.Albert? 1200 2nd Gen?
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: Edmonton
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2005, 01:06:19 PM »

Argyll Motorsports, southside, Im sure you know it. You know the ones who have their noses up in the air!

I do,... I've never had any trouble with them, perhaps cos I'm a girl? I've never had a problem at any of the dealers,.. except Riverside,.. they didn't want to take my money,.. but I -really- wanted that tire... I just got my rear tire ( not this avon that you speak of) from Alberta Cycle.  I've talked to a few people that wouldn't deal with this or that dealer again cos of the service,.. but I walk in and get good service in any of them, even Edm. Cycle Salvage.

They actually have the best install prices... $50 for rear and $29 for front. They apparantly bought up all the Avons available from a Calgary distributor. This leaves nothing for any other stealership to purchase.

$50 to mount and balance a rear tire?  Is that on the bike?  I just paid $23.40 for the rear to be mounted, but took the wheel in.  

later.. Hey You know Bazza?...St.Albert? 1200 2nd Gen?

No, but I've seen him post in a couple of the threads that I've read.  Anytime I see a silver bike in St Albert I take a second look,.. there's a CBR that keeps getting me though.  

No,.. I know no one here to ride with. My boyfriend doesn't have a streetbike yet, so Dita's (currenly) pretty much a "ride to clients to save $$" kinda bike.  

What are you riding?
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
tire prices
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2005, 03:26:58 PM »
thats on the bike, everywhere else "on the bike" was $55 for each wheel front or back no diff, that's MY experience anyway.

Could be that youre a girl that they are nice to you, if your'e cute thats definately why.. trust me. I guess Im not that cute to them " I showed a bit of leg and everything"... :wink:

I drive the same bike as Barry (baz) Silver 1200 bandit, an 03, w/Krauser top case, a holeshot slip-on and (partial) stage one jet kit. I say partial because I could never get my bike to idle right or NOT consume tons of gas with EVERTHING installed. Ended up with just the shims in the needles, turns out its just as responsive, but better gas mileage. Plus the timing advancer I put on screwed up my timing to make everything lumpy, put the stocker back  and everythings just peachy.

Do you ride around to tims on white?, petro on 97th? at all, maybe Ive seen you. (cant say I do much of that bike night thing anymore, too many squids bragging about their conquests with their girlfriends on the back in their carefully chosen, cutting edge, protectivley designed, short shorts and halter tops, and way too many of those "Tough boys harley crowd" for my liking. :duh:  :annoy:  Nah, Id rather be riding.
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Re: tire prices
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 02:50:27 AM »
thats on the bike, everywhere else "on the bike" was $55 for each wheel front or back no diff, that's MY experience anyway.

Next time,.. try Alberta Cycle, they're less. (They said $47 and change for the tire on the bike.  Unfortunately, not having budgetted for a tire til spring put the extra 24 out of my range for now. ) And they give 30% off MSRP just like Argyll does.

Could be that youre a girl that they are nice to you, if your'e cute thats definately why.. trust me. I guess Im not that cute to them " I showed a bit of leg and everything"... :wink:

Geez,.. I showed no leg,. came in in full gear, I'm surprised they could tell who I was. ;)  Actually one of the guys recognises me, and the other even remembers what I ride. Last time I went in, he goes "what have you done to that poor little bandit now?" LOL!  Funny thing is that I come in for oil drain plug gaskets and filters mainly.  I was in there looking for a windscreen once and a tire.  Overall,. I haven't done much to her at all.

I drive the same bike as Barry (baz) Silver 1200 bandit, an 03, w/Krauser top case, a holeshot slip-on and (partial) stage one jet kit. I say partial because I could never get my bike to idle right or NOT consume tons of gas with EVERTHING installed. Ended up with just the shims in the needles, turns out its just as responsive, but better gas mileage. Plus the timing advancer I put on screwed up my timing to make everything lumpy, put the stocker back  and everythings just peachy.

Wow,.. I'm still good with the power that my little 400 has,.. of course, I've only been on the street (alone) since May. ;)

Do you ride around to tims on white?, petro on 97th? at all, maybe Ive seen you. (cant say I do much of that bike night thing anymore, too many squids bragging about their conquests with their girlfriends on the back in their carefully chosen, cutting edge, protectivley designed, short shorts and halter tops, and way too many of those "Tough boys harley crowd" for my liking. :duh:  :annoy:  Nah, Id rather be riding.

I haven't stopped at either place.  We lived on 83ave and 97st up til about a month ago, and met the guy that rides the XR650 (Sean) around Tims all the time, he's a nice guy, if a little crazy. ;).  We've ridden in the dirt with him, but I haven't ridden on the street with him.  I might not be brave enough to.

Yeah,.. the squids make me a little nuts too.  I'm getting a little tired of the dirty looks that I get thanks to them.  (I'm thinking of getting a sticker for my helmet that says: Yes, I ride a bike, that doesn't make me evil incarnate, so wipe that look off your face.) I don't find that I have a lot of problem with any of the harley guys though.  I even have some of them wave when we pass each other. LOL!
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
riding round town- edmonton
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2005, 01:06:59 PM »
Guess  we should take this posting to another area out of the "mechanical heading" hey. Is there a mere"chit chat" area here?

Yeah, totally agree, the attitude out there is unfortunately, "if your a girl, you should be only on the BACK OF A BIKE!" don't you know?.

I think its cool to have youre own machine, even cooler when you can handle and respect a bike more than those squids.

later
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends