Author Topic: Wierd vibration/grabbing feeling coming from the rear tire!  (Read 3563 times)

Offline DSMoneypit

• New user!
Wierd vibration/grabbing feeling coming from the rear tire!
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:34:54 PM »
Hey guys, I am knew to this site and I hate that my first post is a technical problem.  My bandit is sick though and it needs some help.  I was doing some spirited riding today and on my way I noticed this wierd feeling in my bike, the only way I can describe is that it feels like something is catching.  When I got home I put it on the centerstand and rotated the back tire.  There was a clicking sound that I had not heard before when lubing the chain so I think something is wrong with the chain but I am not sure.

I know this description is horrible I am just hoping that someone has had similar problems and they can help me out with this.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Wierd vibration/grabbing feeling coming from the rear tire!
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 12:06:44 AM »
Sounds like you have a chain and/or sprocket problem. A quick way to check for chain and sprocket wear is:

- Lift the chain with your left foot, taking all the slack out
- pull the chain away from the rear sprocket, in line with the end of the swingarm
- if you can pull more that 1/3 of the height of the sprocket tooth, the chain and sprockets are worn out and need to be replaced.
- if you don't feel any noticable movement, your chain and sprockets are in good condition.

Also, look at the sprocket teeth. If the shape of one side of the tooth is different than the shape of the other side, the sprocket is worn out.

Clicking, clunking, slapping, etc. are all signs of a worn drive chain.

Make sure you replace both sprockets when you replace the chain. Worn sprockets will eat a new chain in only a couple of thousand Kms.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 12:40:51 AM »
Don't you hate it when someone get their answer and splits without confirming the fix. Probubly took a quick look for the very first time and said  :yikes:

Offline DSMoneypit

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:13:07 AM »
I haven't confirmed the fix yet.  I dumped my dirt bike and broke my wrist.  Kind of hard to work on the street bike with one hand.  Towing it to the stealership to get it fixed in a couple of weeks so I will confirm what the problem is then.  Sorry for the delay.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 12:33:46 PM »
Don't you hate it when someone get their answer and splits without confirming the fix. Probubly took a quick look for the very first time and said  :yikes:

Geez, even though you didn't know he'd hurt himself, you could give a guy a little more than a day to get back with any results. 
Some people have to work, family or other things that have to come ahead of solving a weird vibration on a street bike in the winter.  :stickpoke:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:22:55 AM »
Another problem can be if the chain is out of alignment. Check to see if your chain adjuster have loosen up and also if your rear tire is in correct alignment. You can also look down the top of your chain to sight it to make sure it is straight.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:24:34 AM »
I haven't confirmed the fix yet.  I dumped my dirt bike and broke my wrist.  Kind of hard to work on the street bike with one hand.  Towing it to the stealership to get it fixed in a couple of weeks so I will confirm what the problem is then.  Sorry for the delay.

Where are you located? I am in So.CA.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2009, 11:48:04 AM »
Sorry to hear about your injury and yes it wasn't enough time for you to respond for some reason I though the date was Jan not Feb as was a long day and my post was almost 2am :drool:, my bad big time. I thought it was another one of those occasional one time help post past due that never gives a confirmation, sorry.
Make sure you get the opinion of an orthopedic surgeon on your wrist x-rays as the fracture of those tiny bones can get misdiagnosed by a general practitioner or worse X-ray Tech otherwise requiring surgery for proper alignment and restored function. Happened to my son who now lives with limited wrist mobility and function, once mended improperly its too late to repair.

Offline DSMoneypit

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2009, 03:13:56 PM »
It was just a small fracture that happened from my forearm hitting a rock.  Not too bad, I'm hoping to be in softcast by the middle of the month.  I know what you mean about the small bones in the wrist and hand because I have 60% mobillity in right hand because of an injury suffered in the marines.  Well I was finally able to get a trailer the other day and get the bike to the dealership.  Good news, the chain and sprockets are fine (have some wear but nothing major).  Bad new, When the tire was replaced a couple of months ago the rear axle was over tightened causing bearing damage.  According the dealership I need a new axle and bearings, does that sound like a possibillity or are they full of it.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2009, 07:50:42 PM »
When the tire was replaced a couple of months ago the rear axle was over tightened causing bearing damage.  According the dealership I need a new axle and bearings, does that sound like a possibillity or are they full of it.

If the chain and sprockets are good, then yes, it is reasonable that you have a rear wheel bearing failure. If the spacers were installed correctly, then an "overtightned" axle should not have caused the bearing failure. But, once the bearing has failed,(for whatever reason) it will likely score the axle as well, so sounds reasonable.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)