Author Topic: wireing prob!!  (Read 3254 times)

Offline mattwlen

• New user!
wireing prob!!
« on: April 02, 2005, 04:37:35 PM »
I have a 98 bandit 1200 and when I crank it up a redish orange wire that is plugged into the harness that has two wires coming out of the alternater starts to smoke. the red wire is the one that smokes. it goes to the coil or what i think is the coil. its a gray plug with 4 wires going into it and also has a 30 amp fuse on it. its on the left side under seat. anybody know why it smokes? I can unplug it and the motor speeds up and when i plug it back in it slows the motor down like its draining the motor of power!?!

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
wireing prob!!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 07:38:49 PM »
You obviously have a short.  I would look closely at the wire that is smoking and look for a break in the wire.  You may find a place where a bare wire is touching ground.  I've seen this happen when bikes get real wet, causing a short, melting of insulation and damage to a wire.  I've also seen where a wire gets in a bind and then rubs against a metal surface causing loss of wire insulation and then a short.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
wireing prob!!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 08:40:49 PM »
What Dave said.

Smoking wires is bad ju-ju!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline mattwlen

• New user!
wireing prob!!
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2005, 08:08:52 PM »
i think you hit the nail on the head about getting wet. im in the  prosses of painting my bike and we had a bad windy rain. i think it got under the seat. it must have dried out because its not doing it anymore. :thanks:

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
wireing prob!!
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 01:28:17 PM »
Quote from: "mattwlen"
i think you hit the nail on the head about getting wet. im in the  prosses of painting my bike and we had a bad windy rain. i think it got under the seat. it must have dried out because its not doing it anymore. :thanks:

I would still investigate this and repair any melted wire/bad connector that you might find.  The fact that it was "smoking" indicates a possibility that some damage was done.  I'd hate to see you stranded on the road somewhere because you didn't check it out.

Dave
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!