Author Topic: 1250S Mods: So far, so good.....  (Read 2910 times)

Offline flickmeister

• Board Regular!
1250S Mods: So far, so good.....
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:13:51 AM »
The Bandit 1250S spoiled me with it's comfort (compared to my '06 Gixxer Thou') and real world performance. A few mods made a big difference in comfort. I flipped the stock footpegs 180 degrees. This moves the pegs about 1-1/2" down and 1" forward. I also raised the front of the seat only to keep the boys from slamming the tank under hard braking. A MRA Touring windshield from Twistedthrottle.com brought the wind factor under control. The wind now hits my helmet at the top of my chinbar instead of lower chest. No buffeting or pushing you forward from negative pressure, just good clean air. No extra wind noise either.

Lastly, I dropped the front sprocket one tooth to a 17 tooth unit. It made a noticeable change in first and second gear acceleration and has allowed me to carry one gear higher while maintaining a decent pull out of the corners. It certainly isn't a life-changing mod, but it has some benefit. The front wheel still stays planted and the speedo is even furhter off. Can't comment on gas mileage or how it has affected top speed yet.

The only mod I'm considering next is a switch to Dunlopad HH+ front brake pads. The stockers work fine but require more pull to get equal braking to my GSXR. Initially, the Gixxer had the same problem and the DP pads transformed that bike for considerably less than stainless brake lines. I MAY do that, there is a bit of an advantage to the less immediate pull of the stock pads under normal conditions and they will stop you quickly when needed. It just requires a fair amount of pressure. Engine mods are a "maybe" and a bit away, at best. I like the quiet stock pipe. If Dale's ECU and K&N filter can make a worthwhile difference with the stock pipe, I may go that route. If not, I'll have to get bored before buying a louder pipe. Cheers, Jack
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 05:32:44 AM by flickmeister »

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Re: 1250S Mods: So far, so good.....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 02:58:11 AM »
I flipped the stock footpegs 180 degrees. This moves the pegs about 1-1/2" down and 1" forward

Never heard of anyone doing that one before.  Normally people want to go up and back for more clearance.  the stock position is more than low enough for me and a bit higher would be nice at times.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 06:36:29 AM »
I'm 6'1" and the great amount of legroom is one of the many things I love about my G1 B12.  Is there less legroom on the 1250 than the older versions?
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline flickmeister

• Board Regular!
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 07:17:51 AM »
I flipped the stock footpegs 180 degrees. This moves the pegs about 1-1/2" down and 1" forward

Never heard of anyone doing that one before.  Normally people want to go up and back for more clearance.  the stock position is more than low enough for me and a bit higher would be nice at times.

I have an '06 Gixxer Thou'. If I wanna play really hard, I get on it. The Bandit makes a nice alternative since it is vey competent, but quiet and comfortable. Cheers, Jack

ippo

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:26:55 AM »

I have done.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 11:30:02 AM by ippo »

Offline Dink_1170

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 04:05:55 AM »
I am 6'3" and found raising the seat preferable, especially as it lowered the bars, so I didn't feel I was riding a "chook chaser" as much; BTW it should be noted I previously rode a GSX1100EFF (GS1150EF to the 'mericans) and a Katana 1100 ( a REAL one not a "sticker bike") so the Bandits bars felt really high and wide to me.

Dink
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!!!
07 Bandit1250S - "Bonnie"
85 GSX1100EFF - "The Tractor"
82 GSX1100SZ - "Kitty"
82 GSX750SZ -"Lil Kitty"

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 10:44:58 AM »
So, you've still got the monster can on it? No aftermarket? And, about flipping the pegs around.I cannot, for the life of me figure out what you mean. I have an 06 which, I believe has the same setup and the springloaded bracket is made to sit in that position so the peg folds back.  Do your now fold down? Naw. Like I said, can't figure it out.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!