Author Topic: 1st (and last) Bandit ride of 2007 (Feb. 17,)  (Read 4563 times)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
1st (and last) Bandit ride of 2007 (Feb. 17,)
« on: February 25, 2007, 05:25:55 AM »
Well Kids, as of Feb 17, the Bandit is officially gone. I have traded her in after a reliable 37500 km.

I had a good year in oil & decided it was time to upgrade due to old age & my 9 year old deciding he will be riding with me this year. I will miss the old girl I am sure.

As you can see it was a chilly ride.

Arrival at my girls new temprorary home.

And may I present to you the new ride getting prepped at the dealer. It is currently awaiting additional farkles such as foot guards, top case & crash guards. I officially take delivery on March 31st. As you can see from the other pictures, there is not a huge rush to start riding here yet! It is a brand new, out of the box 2006 Yamaha FJR 1300

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:00:30 AM »
:congrats: Bazza, A pal of mine was tired of fixing something every time we went on a ride. He did a complete restoration on a Norton Comando.Although a beautifull pc.,he was getting frustrated with all the mantenence.We went from the side of the road to a near by pub where I told him the bike I thought would be right for him. A FRJ1300, from the pub he followed me down to a near by Yamaha dealer and you could see he was falling in love. He did his homework and  had a couple of dealers barder against each other to get the optimum deal. That was 2 yrs ago,and he loves it more each time he takes it out. I was the 1st to take it for a spin after he bought it. Its a great bike ,my only complaint was the engine heat on my legs(wich isn't always a bad thing if you live in Erie,or the great white north). He's now considering a Kaw. Concours,but will keep the FRJ as well.  Happy riding :motorsmile: Dan

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:29:28 AM »
:congrats: on the new bike! I've been lusting for a FJR since they first became available in North America... until the GTR1400/Connie14 announcement anyway, that's bumped the FJR from the top spot.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:58:09 AM »
Nice bike Bazza. But sorry to hear you have to wait a while longer to take possession even thought the FJR13 is available and the Bandit has been given up. I couldest do that, I'm a patient man but if I buy something they better have it ready for delivery withing 2 hours or I find another dealer. Anyway congratulations on an excellent step over to another great bike, especially for more touring comfort as the age sets in.  In a couple years I will also be making that smart choice when the dust clears on the new Connie..

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 01:30:08 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Nice bike Bazza. But sorry to hear you have to wait a while longer to take possession even thought the FJR13 is available and the Bandit has been given up. I couldest do that, I'm a patient man but if I buy something they better have it ready for delivery withing 2 hours or I find another dealer. Anyway congratulations on an excellent step over to another great bike, especially for more touring comfort as the age sets in.  In a couple years I will also be making that smart choice when the dust clears on the new Connie..

Hey CW:

The dealer could have the FJR ready in an hour if I wanted, but unfortunatly we still have 4 feet of friggin snow! The earliest I have started riding here ever was the 2nd week of April. It is not uncomon for us to get snow on the May 24th weekend. After that we are safe until Sept! lol.

Paul:

I believe you may get a little disapointed when you have a live look at the connie & sit on it. Did not float my boat at all. I saw it at our local bike show and it was my least favorite of all the ST bikes. Up until seeing it live & sitting on it, I did love the Connie.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 01:44:57 PM »
Ah, just take it home and put it in the front room till it warms up. That way you can lay down next to it reading your manual thinking of how cool the bike will be.

Quote from: "Bazza"
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"

Hey CW:

The dealer could have the FJR ready in an hour if I wanted, but unfortunatly we still have 4 feet of friggin snow! The earliest I have started riding here ever was the 2nd week of April. It is not uncomon for us to get snow on the May 24th weekend. After that we are safe until Sept! lol.

Paul:

I believe you may get a little disapointed when you have a live look at the connie & sit on it. Did not float my boat at all. I saw it at our local bike show and it was my least favorite of all the ST bikes. Up until seeing it live & sitting on it, I did love the Connie.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 02:05:32 PM »
Quote from: "Bazza"
Paul:

I know that's what you said when you saw it - and if it turns out that way for me, too, I'd have NO problem loving on a FJR!
Or even a used Futura (too bad Aprilia dropped that model and didn't replace it with anything) or a new Sprint - even though those are both chain drive.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 02:57:31 PM »
Hey Baz... :congrats:  on the FJR. I keep thinking I might want one as well, but I also keep looking at the VFR800 and Triumph ST1050. But then I go look at the little Bandit and realize its still in great shape and all I really need. Let us know your impressions of the FJR once you get going on it.

I appreciate your input to this Board for the past year and 1/2 that I've been here. I've just put those carb shims in yesterday that you sent me. Can't wait to ride. Weather looks pretty much the same here, but I hoping I can insure the bike when I get back from the kids spring break on March 26th.

Hope you stay in touch. Give me a call if you're coming through this way and we'll have coffee or  :beers:
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 03:38:13 PM »
Yup I wanna hold off seeing the Connie in person until I read a comprehensive 3rd party write up or head to head comparison. But It wont be the first time I have been recently disappointed by what was touted as awesome and what resulted in meritocracy. Thats why for your hard earned and invested money you have to know exactly what your buying and why without waffling on the details. As far as the FJR, I have heard nothing but good things for it class and will be paying more attention now that you have bought one, so keep us informed. But for the time being the B12 is still doing a better job then I expected when I first bought it and 5500 miles ago. I'm just going to let it all gel for 1 or 2 more years then blow the foam off and taste the waters again.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 04:04:06 PM »
I hope you stay in touch with us, too! You know we won't kick you off the board or disown you for moving on to a different ride. Can't hurt to hear more opinions on the FJR.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »
Hey Guys:

Actually, if it was not for the possibilities of divorce, I probably would have held on to the Bandit also! I really debated keeping it but as most of my riding is highway stuff, I thought that there was not much point keeping the Bandit just for a few miles a year.

Oh, and don't worry, I still plan on visiting the board here often.

Offline deepink

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.oldredtruck.com
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 10:27:38 PM »
Wow Bazza, nice bike.

I really like the FJR.  My wife keeps complaining that she cant ride with me now with all the mods.  (not a 2 seater bandit anymore).

We have looked at this bike many times.  But I can't part with the Bandit, since I put all the work into it.  Someday...

Enjoy.
2001 Bandit 1200 - \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"Revised\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"

Offline StangMATA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 11:19:16 PM »
Nice!  :bigok:

If I were to get rid of the Bandit, I'd go for a R1.3 as well. I ride with a few of them and they are pretty badass.  :banana:
Ian<br />USAF<br />2003 Silver Bandit 1200s<br />D&D slip-on. Busa Shock. Mostly Stock <br/> www.BuckNakedOffroad.com

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 01:38:16 PM »
OK,.. nobody else said it,.. so I might as well.  You're crazy!  :stickpoke:  

Riverside wouldn't wait til the snow had cleared to get the bike? Yeah, the roads looked reasonably clear, and yeah, it's only about 8 blocks from your place (what isn't in St.A?),.. BUT there are enough patches of ice and even more stupid  (stupider? Neither looks right...) drivers in the winter to dodge!  

Glad you made it safely though.  Congrats on the new bike.  :congrats:

What did the boys at Riverside have to say when you arrived on two wheels?  :lol:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2007, 02:32:49 AM »
Quote from: "stormi"
OK,.. nobody else said it,.. so I might as well.  You're crazy!  :stickpoke:  

Riverside wouldn't wait til the snow had cleared to get the bike? Yeah, the roads looked reasonably clear, and yeah, it's only about 8 blocks from your place (what isn't in St.A?),.. BUT there are enough patches of ice and even more stupid  (stupider? Neither looks right...) drivers in the winter to dodge!  

Glad you made it safely though.  Congrats on the new bike.  :congrats:

What did the boys at Riverside have to say when you arrived on two wheels?  :lol:

Stormi:

Shhhh, but I even managed a last wheelie!

The roads were not that bad actually, the parking lot stunk though. Actually the traffic was so shocked to see a bike out they gave me lots of room.

The funniest part was when I walked into the service department at Riverside and asked if they could have a quick look at my bike as I though the carbs were icing up!