Author Topic: 2 way radio  (Read 2346 times)

Offline yak

• TURBO TYPER!
2 way radio
« on: March 19, 2006, 05:23:09 PM »
is anybodt using 2 way radio under a full face helmet  if so what kind and r they any good

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
2 way radio
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 07:12:00 PM »
The minister of war and tried one a few years back bought them of ebay, a good price, but they really where shyte the noise of just the wind would activate the VOX. As I said tried it once, back to hand signals, as before.
Hey but they are good for fishing. I can go one way she the other and if we find a hot spot, I can still choose to shut up. hehehehehehe :grin:  :bigok: But having said that I know of a few guys that swear by them.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
2 way radio
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 01:00:24 AM »
Personlly I've never tried one.  The treasurer and I have been thinking about getting bike to bike comms, but there's other bike related bits we want first.

The wind noise problem varies with the brand.   A couple of guys I know (HD riders) have 2 way and reckon it's pretty good, but I don't think they have voice activation.

Hand signals are good, except when you're doing the tourist thing and you point to something interesting and the other person misses it.

As for Rider to Pillion comms, forget it.....the reason we take the kids with us on the bikes is so we don't have to listen to them whinging.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
2 way radio
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:44:15 AM »
I've been using a Chatterbox for a while now.  I like it.  The VOX is fidgety and you have to tweak it all the time to adjust for wind noise.  I got the GMRS version of the Chatterbox and range is pretty good.  I ended up hardwiring a push to talk switch into the right grip switch assembly.  Works much better that way.  I ran the PTT and an audio cable up the back of my jacket so that they don't flap around.  Now its just a matter of jacking the cables in down at my waist when I mount and I have satelite radio playing in my helmet and I don't have to shout when I want to talk to my riding buddies.  The sound, music and voice, is good even thorough ear plugs.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
2 way radio
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 04:14:19 PM »
I just got a Competition Accessories flyer in the snail mail the other day and one of the things in it they were offering up was a mic & earbud setup that plugs into Motorola FRS/GMRS radios (they'd sell you a pair of radios, too - if you need 'em). While I'd seen other similar setups, the thing that was different about these was the mics were throat mics (remember the intercom/radios you see the aircrews using in those old WWII flix - basically, an updated version of that). Supposedly, these pic up only your voice since they're picking up vibrations on the throat.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)