Author Topic: 2005 Yamaha V-Max - Opinions, Please  (Read 6761 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
2005 Yamaha V-Max - Opinions, Please
« on: June 05, 2005, 09:14:26 AM »
Funny question for a Bandit site, I guess, but I'm thinking of adding another bike to my garage, so...

What do you guys think of this 1200cc, liquid cooled, shaft drive V4?  I like the looks of this, and I like the idea of that water cooled V4, and it looks comfortable.  Most importantly it looks like a standard bike, standard seating position without looking like a Harley.  I will be going to look at this tomorrow.

Can you give me any first hand opinions?  I've never ridden or known anyone with a Yammy.

Offline NCBANDIT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 10:44:30 AM »
I don't know anything about them, but they are a good looking retro-ish bike. Almost reminds me of a V65. I really dig the megaphone looking exhaust.

Offline Dexter

• Board Homesteader!
V-max's
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 11:58:24 AM »
I have ridden alot of V-maxs in the past, and while the power is great, I cant stand the handling of them..it is easy to get in trouble on one...they just dont corner well at all.. after riding a Bandit the V-max is pale... I know my Bandit knocks the crap out of my buddies Vmax..LOL. just my 2 cents
why do I have to ride faster than the law allows!!  LOL

Offline BBurton

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 12:18:12 PM »
They are a great 0 to 60 bike and quarter mile blaster... the rest in terms of performance is kinda BLAH. I DO like the looks of them, without question to have one of the best sounding engines with aftermarket exhaust bolted on EVER!!! :banana:
2005 " All Black" DL1000 V-Strom
"CAUTION", front wheel may rise under hard acceleration!

Offline Airmotive

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 12:18:58 PM »
+++Scary quick acceleration.
+Been around for 20+ years and has a cult following.
-Limited performance aftermarket due to the shaft drive.
+With a loud pipe, sounds a LOT like a top-fuel dragster when idling.
-Take care not to spill/overflow when fueling...or you'll be sitting in gasoline. (Fuel tank is under the seat, accessed via a little lever that tips part of the seat up).
++V-Boost is not a marketing gimmick...it's a true kick in the pants.
----Unfortunately, Yamaha has taken the Harley-Davidson approach with the V-Max: "If it's selling, why spend money to make it better?"
--What was the king of all engines 20 years ago is now considered down on power for a bike this size.
+/-Hard to tell a 1987 model from a 2005.
--Those cool looking ram air scoops are just for looks.
+One of the few rice burners that even hard-core Harley riders will grudgingly offer their respect to.

Sit on one for a while in the show room. The ergonomics are...unusual. Kind of like a V-Rod. I find it comfortable...many do not.
Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 06:49:45 PM »
Quote from: "Airmotive"
+/-Hard to tell a 1987 model from a 2005.

For that matter, hard to tell a 1985 model from the 2005... here's a pic of the '85:

Magazine straight-line performance numbers for Mr. Max show it to be comparable to a stock B12, but handling is similar to a typical cruiser.

Personally, I thought they were ugly and garish back in 1985, and their look hasn't grown on me in the last 20 years. Plenty of folks disagree with me though - or it still wouldn't be in their line-up, basically unchanged.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 11:32:16 PM »
are those bikes brand spanking new or is what you are going to look at something that just hasn't sold over the last couple of years??

How much are they brand new??

cheers    slo coach

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 06:40:04 AM »
One of my buddys had one,and let me take it for a spin. That was back in the early 90s, had a set of super traps on it. It just kept pulling,had alot of power. A good staight line hot rod,but not a corner carver. He later hit aOlds98 head on with it and it went up in smoke. He survived,but was in some serious pain for a long time.

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
vmax
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 01:18:29 PM »
I always like the max but it is an old design.  Its a poser bike for sure.  Ride it around the local hangout and look cool.  Due to its design, its not a bike for the twisties and fuel range is modest at best.  I've been hearing rumors of a redesign but so far no go.  Yamaha already has the warrior but we'll see.

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2005, 02:13:50 PM »
:motorsmile: My favorite street bike
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 05:41:38 AM »
There's a guy round the corner with mucho $$, methinks since he has 4+ cars & 4x4's and at least as many bikes. His V-max got smucked in an accident, (not his fault). It was not repairable, but he took the settlement & found another V-max within the $. It must be worth it.

:banana: :beers:  :banana:  :beers:  :banana:  :beers
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline GeoBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 01:56:51 PM »
I owned one and sold it when I moved to HI (Kauai) no room for it.  The Island that is, not my place.  Only 60 miles of road.  Giving up my dogs would have been easier.  It is not a B12, but a B12 is not the Max.  Beer and wine dude.  B12 = wine, Max = beer.  You want something that will stretch your arms, smooth and catch the looks, the Max is the way to go.  It can not stay with a B12 in the twists but it is still a blast in the twist.  Mine was trouble free, reqular stuff, oil change, valve adj, tire replace ment.  That was it.  I put a 1,800 mile trip in 36 hrs on mine. I am thinking of looking for one myself.  I will keep my eyes open for one, then when it comes along buy it.  Then I can do a real comparison.
97 1200