Author Topic: b1200, Cold blooded or What?  (Read 3703 times)

Offline rfulcher

• Board Regular!
b1200, Cold blooded or What?
« on: August 25, 2006, 10:43:31 AM »
Bought a 2003 Bandits S with 1000 miles last weekend. It generally runs great, however it seems to take a while to warm up and the idle is not smooth until completely warm. Is this typical of the Bandits, or do I have some gunk in the carbs. Is this worth a shot of seafoam/techron or will it clear up as I use it.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: b1200, Cold blooded or What?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 10:50:14 AM »
Quote from: rfulcher
Bought a 2003 Bandits S with 1000 miles last weekend. It generally runs great, however it seems to take a while to warm up and the idle is not smooth until completely warm. Is this typical of the Bandits, or do I have some gunk in the carbs. Is this worth a shot of seafoam/techron or will it clear up as I use it.

Since they are large carbureted engines... all stock Bandits are cold-blooded.  The best cure is a new slip-on exhaust (Yoshimura, Holeshot, etc.) and a jet kit from Factory Pro, Holeshot, or Ivan's Performance products.  This not only fixes the cold-bloodedness... but also brings performance levels up to where they should be from the factory - about a 20HP gain.  A carb sync is an additional plus.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 11:15:17 PM »
Quote:
but also brings performance levels up to where they should be from the factory - about a 20HP gain

Definitely over optimistic!  Jet kit and slip-on for a B12 is about 10 hp and drop about 7 lbs off the bike.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline texasbandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 10:33:37 AM »
My 1st gen B12 was hopelessly cold blooded until I did the Dale Walker thing -- Stage II, 5 degree advancer, D&D etc.  Now it needs about 10 seconds for the idle to even out and you can ride off without any bucking and popping.
1997 GSF1200S  (The tinkerbike)
2003 FZ1 Bumblebee (Almost stock)

Censorship causes Blindness

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 12:10:57 PM »
Sorry... mis-type on my part.

The dynograph on Yoshimura's website does claim a 12 HP gain with a RS-3 slip-on, but I think that's probably optimistic.

Slip-on will give you about +7 to +10 HP
Jet Kit will give you about +3 to +5 HP

You should get a minimum of 10 added HP... which is still about a 10% gain over stock.

Still... the main point here is that a slip-on & jet kit is not so much a "performance mod" as it the removal of a "EPA-mandated handicap".  It just brings the bike up to running the way it was actually designed to.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:01:37 AM »
Here is my dyno sheet for a Holeshot slip-on and stage I modified jet kit, and timing advancer.  
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 10:06:50 AM »
Here's Ivan's dyno for a Bandit w/ jet kit & slip-on...

http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/Bandit1200dyno.htm

And here's a dyno from Yoshimura's website... slip on only, no jet kit...

http://www.yoshimura-rd.com/dyno.asp

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
PM sent
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 05:18:15 PM »
Hey Paul...
Sent you a PM last week, looks as its still in my out box.
How do I get it to you ?
PIN :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: PM sent
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 08:26:48 PM »
Quote from: gearset01
Hey Paul...
Sent you a PM last week, looks as its still in my out box.
How do I get it to you ?
PIN :?:  :?:  :?:  :?:

Dunno what happened.... I didn't get it.

Ask me here.   :wink:

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
Jetting
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 10:21:51 PM »
Hey Paul .....
Mike Here.
I was wondering what differances you noticed on the low end with the Ivans kit. Did it reduce some of the power down low in exchange for the mid range gains. I read Bazzas post at Max and he seemed to believe thats the case, thought I would get your opinion. Ive got some free 110 mains coming and ordered 17.5 and 20 pilots. i dont think from what i've read here and at Max that this is as radical as a full blown kit. Im guessing that I would need to drill a 1.5 inch hole or leave the snorkle out.
Hope im not being a pain in the azz. Id like to do this in one shot and all your suggestions have been on the money, shimmed the needles adjusting the screws and trimming the springs. Thanks!!!
PIN

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 11:38:42 PM »
I can't comment on stock vs. mod'ed from idle to 3 grand.  There's been too much intellectual interference that has gone on in between for me to judge impartially.   :wink:

I do know for sure that the bike pulls harder from 3k to redline with the jet kit & slip on.   I also know someone from Max-Zuk just did the '110 mains, 20 pilots, shimmed needles, and A/F screws out to 3.5 turns mod' and is very happy with the results.  (He also drilled a 1.5" hole in the airbox lid)

Given how 'ferocious' the acceleration is now on my bike... I firmly believe the 1200 engine was NOT designed to optimally run on stock 100 mains and the stock needle settings.

I guess the bottom line is that possibly stock Bandit 1200's will stay even with me for the first 100' or so... but after that they'll be viewing my tailights.