Author Topic: Unexpected long cold ride  (Read 3845 times)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Unexpected long cold ride
« on: January 20, 2008, 06:43:14 PM »
 Just a few days ago I arrived back to my home in BHC, AZ  from an unexpected 1000+ mile motorcycle trip to Orange Co, CA. My Grandfather age 90 who was a bible carrying Christian the last 17 years of his life was on his death bed from repeated pneumonia due to old age but otherwise very active. So after getting the call at 2:30 pm on the 10th I needed to get there to say my goodbye’s. Funny how fast you can pack and plan an emergency trip compared to the usual half day pack planning. I had my B1250 hard cases packed and ready to go in 30 minutes. Even for AZ it was colder then I was use to riding so I wore sweats under one set of cloths including  my armored riding jacket. Crossing the mountain passes I had to stop and put on another layer of clothing, a loose fitting hooded sweatshirt worked great providing a 4th layer of insulation  with the hood slipped inside my helmet made all the difference for my head and ears in the 30 degree high elevation.  Once I dropped down into the LA basin the temperature was a much nicer 60 degrees and I had to take off a layer. Once at the hospital that same evening I had the opportunity to pray with and say goodbye’s to my grandfather who said he was in no pain and wanted to be with his wife in heaven. He would slip in and out  of consciousness each time you called his name, waking coherently each time to answer questions  and say goodbye to another family relative arriving late at the hospital. This continued on until the next morning until suddenly between  coherent waking and naps he just didn’t wake up anymore and stopped breathing and died. I have to say that I never seen a more peaceful and accepted passing. My grandfather repeatedly said he was ready to be reunited with his wife and Jesus. Anyway the mood of the whole family was very good afterward and we had a great barbecue in his back yard afterward, pretty much happy for him and somewhat astonished at his incredibly peaceful passing without any pain or need for pain meds, like out of a movie scene it was surreal. Incidentally no need for condolences, as he lived 90 years and died an otherwise happy, healthy, active and godly man. We should all be so fortunate.

Anyway with regard to this 1000 mile trip aboard my bone stock B1250 this was my first major trip almost non-stop trip which included all the running around one does when visiting family relatives. I was originally going to take the cage but with city traffic and gas prices as high as $4 a gallon in California the B1250 was a good choice so here are some of the particular long trip benefits in comparison to my sold 05 B1200.
     The B1250 OEM hard case luggage really worked excellently for packing up all my needs for a six days worth of change clothing an extra pair of shoes , toiletries, ball caps and underwear. The top case  is huge compared to its outer appearance and was indispensable in holding all the grab item you cant carry in a small tank bag, as a TV sized tank bag never appealed to me. Although  Givi was contracted to make the OEM cases and rack system for Suzuki, the top case rack is much stronger with more anchor points to the lower frame then anything anyone else offers (even Givi after market),  providing no worries of sub frame cracking or overloading the top or side cases. My B1200 had no such support options OEM or aftermarket and so I found myself be very conscious and careful of overloading the small aftermarket racks available for it as the sub frame was known for cracking with anything over a few pounds. 
     A large portion of my trip was spent on the interstate and freeways where  speeds are high and the flow of traffic was between 80-90 MPH and I am happy to report that my average city & city freeway mileage was 41 MPG while my interstate mileage was an impressive 45 MPG at high speeds. The interstate portion for mileage was compared on the same 180 mile stretch of  none stop highway that I have previously driven many times on my sold 05 B1200 in which repeatedly I was only able to achieve  37 MPG with a iban jet  & air kit and Yoshimure RS3 exhaust, impeccably tuned with my Morgan  Carb Tuner, I mean it ran very well but had no where near the mileage of my B1250.
     I have reported before that I felt my B1250 is much smoother then my 05 B1200 but this long ride really put the differences into perspective.  In a nutshell my B1250 rides, feels and performs like a set of match component systems with the engine and frame geometry complementing each other seamlessly, compared to my 05 B1200 which although slightly more responsive off the line with regards to  abrupt roll-on response, performed, handled and felt much more an unmatched system or collection of subcomponents acting in contrast to one another annoyingly. Without breaking down the already spoken of  differences, that about sums it up. The B1250, even with the full set of waited down OEM hard cases handled far superior in every area and especially in high steady winds and passing large trucks, control was remarkably better then my B1200 unloaded.
     As far as ride comfort with the seat adjustment on the B1250 in the high position I suffered none of the leg cramping and fatigue I did with my 05 B1200 and although both bikes were equipped with the same Genmar bar raisers (up & back 1/38 inch), the B1250 was noticeably less fatiguing and in fact comfortable in the arms, even when laying down for short high speed runs in excess of 120 MPH and when passing at high speeds on interstates. Because of the extended colder trip on the way back I found myself laying down for extended periods for less exposure to  heat loss and found that while I could only stand to stay in this position  on my 05 B1200 for a few minutes at a time, I was able to comfortable sustain this position on my B1250 for up to an hour between stretches back to an upright position. As far as the stock seat I mentioned before that although the B1250 seat in made with a higher density foam compared to my 05 B1200 which was a much lower density (cheaper), the B1250 seat offers far better control in applying your weight to maneuver the bike in sharp turns, compromising some comfort. However  on both bikes I have always used ½ inch padded impact nylon shorts over my exterior pants which make a world of difference on any long ride, on and off road. I highly recommend the $55 investment in a pair of extreme impact shorts which not only eliminates seating pressure point discomfort  but also will save your skin (God forbid) if your butt should ever hit’s the ground in a crash http://www.xsportsprotective.com/cp2600.html. They may not look like much but they make a world of difference in preventing monkey butt.
     Handing, what can I say. Compared to my 05 B1200s the B1250 is noticeable better in every area. Even with the same identical stock tires the B1250 would lay over for a turn almost effortlessly at any angle desired and at any speed, whereas my 05 B1200 would require a bit of persuading followed by a sudden and somewhat unexpected and hart pumping  drop lay over. Almost as if there was only two turn angles on the B1200, strait up or lean over to its max, somehow the B1200 to its credit always seemed to stop short of  falling over. Whereas the B1250 only gives you the angle you desire easily and instantly, when you want it and how much. The B1250 giving no head wag powering out of the turn like my 05 B1200 which required a Super Brace to stop it from occurring, the B1250 needs no such brace.
     Performance was noticeable different. While the mostly stock carbureted engine on my 05 B1200 provided more abruptness and noise fanfare with the yoshimura slip-on and iban jet & air modifications, momentarily stimulating the senses of more power perception, the B1250’s stealth  and smooth power delivery is deceptively just as powerful only less abrupt and much smoother. 6th gear really shines on these long trips being able to easily maintain higher speeds at almost 1000 RPMs less then on my 05 B1200 which would wear on you after the first 2 hours of riding whereas the B1250 just glides along quietly                             
     Conclusions. I can tell you that after this trip I have decided that the B1250 does not need a makeover with an aftermarket performance pipe, 02 sensor eliminator, and remapping for neither city or highway use, sanctioned track is another story. With the new OEM head light index finger trigger switch Suzuki included, being seen and noticed in traffic is easy with a few rapid trigger finger pulls. And wouldn’t you know that in spite of the naysayer’s  no cage took my high beam trigger toggling as an invite to be run over. On the contrary everyone knew it meant only one thing, look out! By either parting the way or stopping in their tracks. So being more then pleased with the smooth performance, better handling, mileage, and pleasant quite ride, I see absolutely no reason to spend an additional and unnecessary $800 only to contributes to what we all know is now undisputed global warming. One thing I was defiantly wrong about.
http://journals.aol.com/gatemachine/GUNNERGCWO4USCGRetired/entries/2008/01/23/grandpa-eddie-in-paradise/1887
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008, 09:55:28 AM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Unexpected long cold ride
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2008, 08:41:38 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather, but I'm glad that he went peacefully.   

Sounds like the B1250 is working out great.  I've been trying to put off buying a new bike for a while now.  Reading posts like this are not not helping.   :wink:
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 09:27:12 AM »
Sorry to hear of your Grandfather's passing, but it's nice to know he had a full life and things went as well as they did.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new 1250 and that is so much more than you thought it would be back when you had the 1200.  :beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 05:56:29 PM »
Well actually I got a bit carried away with my own pride and certain individual who took my fan-boy attitude a bit too seriously, and I won't deny I derived allot of misplaced pleasure from it. These days I am more far more content owning a more fulfilled bike like the B1250, but no better then the B1200 as far as capability. I am sure there are more expensive bikes I haven't ridden just as or more gratifying as the B1250, but for the price I don't think Suzuki has ever hit a higher benchmark in the performance + value apex. Something I don't think Suzuki will be able repeated again without paying allot more money.  At 505 pounds with OEM hard cases and full lower fairing, it truly is a true sport tourer and handles like one.

**Incidentally did you know that in the UK the GT1250 version is being sold with a Garmin Zumo satellite navigation system as standard! I think Suzuki is missing the value sport-tourer market here in north America.
http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/garmin/

Offline Grizz

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2008, 12:43:02 AM »
  I am sorry to hear of your loss but glad to hear he had a long and full life.
 Glad to hear about the 1250. Nice report, my bandit was meant to be a filler bike but I have grown to like the bike more with every trip. The 1250 is looking better all the time and when more funds free up a newer bandit may be in the future instead of the higher priced bikes I was looking at.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
**Incidentally did you know that in the UK the GT1250 version is being sold with a Garmin Zumo satellite navigation system as standard! I think Suzuki is missing the value sport-tourer market here in north America.
http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/garmin/

Yup, it was brought up in this thread:
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=10356.0  :bandit:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »
You didn't mention anything about our road sport over here, LANE SPLITTIN!

BTW: Next time you wanna cut and paste, check the spelling...it's IVAN over here, not "IBAN"   :stickpoke:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 01:19:44 AM »
You didn't mention anything about our road sport over here, LANE SPLITTIN!

Funny you should mention that as the whole issue of Southern California (So-Cal) freeway speed, lane location, and lane splitting never ceases to amaze me down there. I take some solace in the fact that on the desert section of interstate 40 I can cruise at relative high speed and calm low traffic conditions except for the occasional 18 wheelers I must slalom through and pass. But once on the So-Cal freeways everything changes to race pace. I always make a concerted effort to time my travels down there on the freeways during off traffic hours 9am-2pm and 8pm-4am. The only problem is that the trade off for heavy traffic is being forced to travel at speeds between 85-95 MPH due to very fast and aggressive traffic flow behind you. Of course always sticking to the farthest left lane which is the safest for a motorcycle since traffic is dealt with at 180 degrees instead instead of 360, then maneuvering quickly to exit or enter the freeway with my head on a swivel. With the advent of so many new car pool lanes on almost every freeway now, cutting traffic has taken on a whole new experience as most car pool lanes are now bordered from the rest of the freeway by double sets of double yellow lines with a 2 foot space between them. So now when traffic does pile up due to getting caught during rush hours or an accident slow down, motorcycles travel leisurely in this space without the usual cramping by motorist who ride the white line with their cage and the threat of a cut off is diminished except for car pool entry and exit points. With my hard side cases this is a welcome sight as I am shy to cut white lines traffic anymore for fear of a hard snag on a cage compared to my old cloth bags which would just rub or rip. Anyway I'm thinking of mounting a trigger finger type switch on the right hand side for a louder horn, inspired by the trigger finger light switch that came standard on the left side works wonders, or perhaps I will incorporate the horn circuit to work on the same switch as the trigger finger light switch since the purpose is the same.

BTW: Next time you wanna cut and paste, check the spelling...it's IVAN over here, not "IBAN"   :stickpoke:
I will never be a great speller or two finger typist LOL.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 03:26:47 PM »
Quote from: CWO4GUNNER link=topic=10364.msg83157#msg83157

Funny you should mention that as the whole issue of Southern California (So-Cal) freeway speed, lane location, and lane splitting never ceases to amaze me down there. I take some solace in the fact that on the desert section of interstate 40 I can cruise at relative high speed and calm low traffic conditions except for the occasional 18 wheelers I must slalom through and pass. But once on the So-Cal freeways everything changes to race pace.  incorporate the horn circuit to work on the same switch as the trigger finger light switch since the purpose is the same.

The main benefit of riding over here, besides the incredible year round riding weather, is the added benefit of splitting lanes...read that as "we never have to sit in traffic" while the transplanted tourista stupido's clog the roads.  There are only a couple of stretches in SoCal where you can sit back and cruise, one headed out your way and the other just north of Oceanside. I almost never cruise out the 10 and only hit I-5 when it's work/job related.  I hear ya on the saddlebags and narrow passages; I've been know to "click mirrors" on occasion, usually up around LA or the OC...dumbass drivers up there still think they're in downtown Tokyo or Saigon and just crowd ya like in a subway.  You won't see me running some expensive bar-end mirrors, just too much expense having to replace them on a monthly basis.  I've already had to replace both brake and clutch levers last year, due to "close encounters" with asleep drivers.

Prior to going naked on my current Bandit, I took the headlight assembly apart and installed some LED's, in the upper corners of the light module.  I then wired them to a wigwag device I bought at a mailorder police supply place.  Depending on the law (where you're at), you can run them "intermittently" as a warning device provided the flash rate is not the same as the LEO's on the BMW's.  I can't begin to tell ya how I could clear a wide path at night with those things pulsing.  Granted, I didn't run them all the time, but at night if I encountered stupid cagers while splitting, I would hit the hidden switch on the dashboard and light up the lane....think of Mose parting the Red Sea while riding a Bandit   :wink:
I actually passed a couple of CHP's while doing that and got a "whatever dude" wave from them  :roll:

Horns: I run a pair of Cadillac horns (about 128db's) I snagged at a wrecking yard.  Yeah, you will have to run a relay and fab your own mounts.  Since the horns were free (they fit in my toolbox), the price was right since I already had a relay mounted. 
I took the existing brackets, a simple bend here and there, shorten the bracket and they mounted up under the tank, poking out just above the valvecover. I will have to remove them to do a valve adjust but they are louder than hell and guaranteed to wakeup even a lurking ditch weasel, if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 12:30:20 PM by Red01 »
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 10:42:04 PM »
Thats funny and a great idea. I was originally thinking of getting compressor horns, you know the kind that make you spill your coffee or hit your head on the ceiling. But I think I find something a less aggressive like what you found. I researched those wag setups but after I got the hang of using the OEM index finger light switch (high/low beam) it works great and you can modulate super fast or a couple clicks. No need to move your hand or looking as its easier to find then the horn button yet separate from the main high-low beam thumb toggle switch. I'm thinking more of incorporating horn into the OEM index finger light switch. My run down there is usually on this path, I-40 to I-15 to 210 (daughters home) to 57 to 71 to 91 to 55 to 405 (sisters home). Then reverse to get home.