Author Topic: A good second bike?  (Read 7464 times)

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« on: July 01, 2006, 09:13:19 PM »
Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a second bike in addition to my 2005 gsf1200s Bandit. Although, I purchased my Bandit brand new and love it I think it would be a great to have a backup.

Can I get any suggestions from you folks as too what would be a good USED bike to purchase? I want something reliable and easy to maintain.

A friend of mine wants to sell me his 86 Harley FLH something, but I have heard that Harleys are tempremental and expensive to take care of.

How about the Honda 750 Nighthawks? I see a lot of those on the market going for 2 to 3 thousand dollars. Are those good bikes?

Your opinions would be apreciated. I live in Southern Calif USA and there is a thriving after market for bikes.

Thanks

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
A good second bike?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 09:53:33 PM »
I can't imagine a Harley would be in that price range... and if it is, it's probaly NOT something you'd want as a dependable back-up.

Nothing wrong with the 750 Nighthawks if you just want a dependable commuter. They've earned a low-maintenance reputation. A bit boring though. If you can find a good clean one, a Nighthawk 700S from the 80's would be more fun, just as reliable (same basic motor with a shorter stroke due to the Harley Tariff on imports >700cc in the 80's), plus the 700S has shaft drive instead of the newer 750 version's chain. (The 700S was a 750S everywhere else in the world except the USA.)

OTOH, for the $2-3K price range, you should be able to pick up an older B6 or B12 and they're reliable and since you already have a newer B12, be very familiar.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »
how about a dual pupose bike like a dr650 for some commuting and light trail work ?
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline B12NScott

• Board Homesteader!
2nd Bike
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2006, 10:13:42 PM »
I am a little biased, but how about a DRZ 400s.  Great bike, low maintenance, Slap some knobbies on and go Dirt bikeing, Put some 17s on and do some supermotoing/Streetmotarding.   Or just stick with the Deathwings and it does pretty well on the street and hardpack dirt.

Between my 2 bike its like haveing 4..  The Bandit has the heart of a Sportbike and its pretty fun,  and it also Sport-Tours well.

The DRZ works pretty well as a Dirtbike(alittle heavy)but has plenty of power to be a trail bike.  As a Motard it corners like its on rails and it a blast around town.  Not a very good Sport-Tour bike,but can be used as a commuter.  

My $.02 :banana:
2K B-12S
2K5 DRZ 400s Dirt/SM

Offline Seanybiker

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.madblaa.com
A good second bike?
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 11:30:23 PM »
well since second bikes are not used as much as main bike. and you looking for something reliable. you cant go wrong with a cruiser. seriously.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 11:33:33 PM »
Since you've already got the B12 filling the sport and touring roles, I think a nice dual sport or adventure bike would be cool.  There are tons of KLRs and DRs out there.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
A second bike
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 04:28:31 PM »
Thanks to all for contributing ideas. I was unable to post for a couple of weeks.

What are the KLR's. Is that a kawasaki?

I have a 50 miles per day round trip to work in the HOV lane each day and I need something that handles freeway speeds easly.

Thanks

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 04:39:25 PM »

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
2nd bike
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 06:12:33 PM »
If I was to get a 2nd bike it would be a 83 honda ss CB 1100 f.
NICE!
PIN

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2006, 08:35:28 PM »
a friend of mine has a bone stock dr650...thats why I brought it up .92mph WFO .there are plenty of pipes and jet kits out there for it as well. as a second bike it would be hard to find something to fill such a wide variety of rolls same for the klr,xlr? hondas version
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 10:29:17 PM »
I have to agree with suggestions here: Get something >different<than> what you have.
My choice would be a dual sport, but maybe you never have intentions of riding fireroads.

Perhaps a uber-light-weight 600cc sportbike (depending on your coin.)

Or, take that money you want to spend on a second bike, and put it into the best suspension you can buy for your bandit and save the rest of the money for tires and trackdays.  Or a turbo.

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 12:46:24 PM »
Flame potential response:

I would get one of the larger scooters, like the 250s or something.  Low maintenance, easy to cruise to the store one, great on gas.  Cheap insurance, etc.

That's just me.  My bandit does everything great except get good gas mileage and make those quick trips.

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 01:36:53 PM »
what kinda gas mileage do you get? It cant be that bad
01 1200s

Offline lucas

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 04:27:18 PM »
Yea, I'll get a scooter. Actually, here in California, those things are popular. I have even seen them on the freeway going about 50 with a long line of traffic behind them.

I swear I would rather crawl to my destenation than ride one of those things.

On the other side are the Harleys. And I rode my friends (the one that's for sale). Possible second bike? NOT!. I spent about an hour on it. Dam strong motor. But when I got back on my Bandit it was like riding a bicycle compared to that Harley. That Harley is more like riding a mule than a motorcycle.

I looked into the DR's. They go cheep out here. But would 650cc be enough to ride the freeway?

Thanks to all,

Lucas

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
A good second bike?
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 05:03:37 PM »
compared to 80mpg on a scooter, my bandit at 38 isn't that great.  Where I live, the image thing isn't that important, I wouldn't be worried about what I would be seen on.  I also don't take any highways on my 30 mile drive to work either.  Anyway, some of the bigger ones can cruise at 70 with no problem.

As far as real bikes go though, I think I would go the way of a V-Strom.