Author Topic: Alarms  (Read 2406 times)

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
Alarms
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:02:54 AM »
So I'm thinking of throwing an alarm onto Janis (06, GSFS1200, Red). The one I found most interesting is a Talon, only drawback is that it's a one way. Any suggestions?  :beers:

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Alarms
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »
How 'bout a LowJack? I read an interesting tip in American Motorcyclist mag when traveling. It mentioned hiding a glass ashtray or similar between the tire and the fender. If someone tries to move the bike, the glass drops, shatters, and makes noise to alert you or anyone else around.

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:12:47 PM »
There's plenty of decent alarms out there, the pricier ones have a pager, but the transmit range on them is pretty crappy from what I understand. 

Seems most people go for the Scorpion line of m/c alarms, but they are expensive.

Cheap... but slightly more glamorous than the ashtray idea... On my previous bikes when I was young, single, and had too much free time... I used to mount a mercury switch under the seat, connected to the battery via a wire with an inline fuse... and the other end to a piezo speaker (also mounted under the seat) which would then go to an on/off switch mounted (hidden) where I could reach it under the rear fender. 

I would mount the mercury switch to an angle where the alarm would go off immediately after someone started to straighten the bike off the side stand.

Parts are pretty simple...

1.  Mercury switch
2.  Inline fuse (with wire to connect to battery)
3.  On/off switch.
4.  Piezo alarm.
5.  About 6 inches of 16 gauge wire.

All for around $15

Park the bike on the sidestand, flip the switch, and walk away.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 10:17:51 PM by PaulVS »

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 12:01:37 AM »
I like the mercury plan, may try it on my other steed, a 69 BSA Victor. But for Janis I ordered the Talon and should have it tomorrow.
 :beers:

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 11:32:19 AM »
What exactly is meant by "two way"?

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:13:34 PM »
If the alarm is triggered it pages the remote. Then you can run out guns a blazin!
 :beers: