Author Topic: Bandit 1200 towing a Trailer???  (Read 6641 times)

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 1200 towing a Trailer???
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:36:44 AM »
Site moderator -could not figure out where this fit. Move at your discretion.

I was at a bike rally last fall when a dealer showed up towing a bike camp trailer to die for. It was a 3-400 lb approx that instantly popped open into a tent with a double bed with head high clearance. There were more add ons than you could dream of and two widths!

Guys, this is a Bandit site. I know lots of you have perfect bikes for this job with fans on your rads and lots of weight, such as the cruisers.

My question is... has anybody done this with the comparatively light Bandit without radiator fans. The dealer seemed to think he could retrofit a hitch with ease. It's the engine heat and weight thing that bothers me.
ie. how to  :stop:
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 02:07:41 AM »
Mate I really carnt see a problem with a b12 towing a small trailer, 3 to 400 lbs is nothing, when you see scooter adds, 150cc vespars towing trailers of about 200 lbs plus the give aways stored inside. I could however see a problem if one was trying be break the speed of sound, in the heat of the day in death valley. Taken it easy the B12 should romp it in. Radiator fans for the oil cooler would really do nothing as they have little or no effect while the bike is moving at a rate greater than walking pace.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2005, 02:28:24 AM »
Several years ago (~2001, IIRC) we had a member here from Oz that towed a trailer with his B12. I haven't looked in a while, but I seem to recall some outfit that makes hitch kits for bikes having a listing for the B12.

There's a guy over on ST.N that tows a one of those one-wheeled luggage trailers with his CBR1100XX when he tours two-up.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2005, 06:43:59 AM »
Classic Industries here in Oz make hitches for most popular bikes, and some not so popular ones to.  Thier trailers start at $1800.00 for a basic one through to $9000.00 for a camper trailer.

I'm considering a small trailer so we can do more trips as a family.  Mainly to visit other family members that also ride.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2005, 07:37:54 AM »
Yeah, the guy on Oz made his own hitch, and pulled a small, open trailer with camping gear.
  I remember emailing him.  Got a picture somewhere.
  I checked into Classic.  (think that was the company)Got a price.  The hitch wasn't inexpensive.  At the time I was thinking of using the little bitty trailer I was currently using to HAUL the bandit.  I figured I could load camping gear....coolers, etc on it.
   What put me off was the fact I'd have to figure out a way to make the tongue of the trailer swivel so the bike could bank in curves, and it would probably eat tires up faster.
  I'll try to find the picture of the  guy with the home-made trailer hitch.

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline B6Matt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2005, 11:51:37 PM »
Yeah, uh, I was noticing this slide-in camper for sale the other day; you know, the kind of camper that fits in the back of a pickup truck.  Well, it was small enough to fit in a little Toyota truck bed.  So, I was wondering if there was a way I could add a flatbed onto the subframe of my B6 so that I could put the camper on the back, instead of towing a trailer.  I was thinking I would probably have to add a 'Busa shock and about 5 feet to the subframe, but, my question is, how the hell am I gonna add mirrors on three-foot stalks so I can see what's behind me?

I suppose I'll need wheelie bars too, just to keep from looping it during hard acceleration.  Do you think the centerstand will hold it up in the campground when the camper's on the back? :stickpoke:

Thoughts :?:
'01 Bandit 600s in Blue (sold)
'02 Yamaha FZ1
'01 Suzuki DRZ 400e

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 12:26:06 AM »
Matt, your rig wouldn't be complete without an 8 track player....... :monkeymoon:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......