Author Topic: B1200 S Top Heavy?  (Read 5844 times)

Offline Rocketjock

• Board Homesteader!
B1200 S Top Heavy?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2006, 02:52:16 PM »
Damn...thought nobody noticed.
06 B12
Lovin my Bandit
07 KLR.
Too much fun!

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
B1200 S Top Heavy?
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2006, 09:29:04 AM »
Quote from: Have Blue
Everyone on this board and others that I am on has said the stock Macadam tires are junk/crap.  I bought my 03 B12S with only 900 miles on the odometer about 6 minths ago.  I have 8000 miles on it now.  Long story short, I took the B12 to the Dragon and the Wolf Pen Gap area a for a week, a couple of months ago.  There were no chicken strips left on the front or rear tires after that week.  I can say from experience that you can consistently and securely lean a B12 with Macadams until you run out of sidewall tread.  At some points, I was negotiating Wolf Pen at about 80 mph, cranked over and on the throttle hard enough to smoke a bit of rubber driving it through the switchbacks.  The tires will bite just fine, but you have to stay on the throttle and make'em track.  I have no complaints about the traction or handling of the Macadams.  When you're out of tread on the sidewalls, you're out of tread. Theres nothing wrong with the Macadams.  BTW, yeah, at 8k miles, they are pretty well worn out now.

Blue

Quote from: PaulVS
I

The stock Macadam tires are pure crap.  Putting on a pair of good aftermarket tires will make it a completely different motorcycle.

Of course.... if it's got good rubber on it.... this post is of no help whatsoever.   :wink:

I guess I'm 50/50 on this one. Yes, the Macadams will get you where you're going and won't put you on your head, as long as you don't do anything stupid. I replaced my Macadams on my 05 1200/S at 9,000 miles and switched to Pilot Roads. Anytime you put new tires on a bike you'll notice a big difference but the change in my bike was incredible. The biggest difference is that the Pilots track true with no hint of weaving or wandering, which I always felt on the Macadams and thought it was the bike's "weak" suspension. I have to say that compared to the Pilot Roads, the Macadams are indeed crap.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
B1200 S Top Heavy?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2006, 05:17:53 PM »
long live pilot road`s lol I have them also
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
PILOT ROAD'S TIRES FOR 1200S
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2006, 05:26:31 PM »
Quote from: snofrog

I have an 05 B12s also and am in need of new tires but have never purchased tires for this class of bike. Can you provide model numbers and good source of supply? Thanks

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
B1200 S Top Heavy?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2006, 09:15:08 PM »
The front is a 120/70 and the rear is a 180/55. Everyone will say good and bad things about what they're on, I like the Michelin Pilot Roads very much, as do most others who have them. It depends on your riding style, sport tourers like the Roads, knee draggers tend to prefer the Pilot Powers.

Talk to you local dealer for prices and compare them to what's available on the net. If your dealer's prices are reasonable, let him do it for you.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
B1200 S Top Heavy?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2006, 10:47:35 PM »
Not having tried a set of Pilot Roads yet, I cant say anything good or bad about them.  LOL  My 03 B12 doesnt weave, wander, wobble or anything else.  In fact, it tracks through curves like a monorail, reads my mind, and goes where I look.  Its as if it has autopilot.  I dont have to even steer the thing.  I'll give the Pilots a shot, but I dont expect any great difference.

Blue

Quote from: Old_n_Slow

I guess I'm 50/50 on this one. Yes, the Macadams will get you where you're going and won't put you on your head, as long as you don't do anything stupid. I replaced my Macadams on my 05 1200/S at 9,000 miles and switched to Pilot Roads. Anytime you put new tires on a bike you'll notice a big difference but the change in my bike was incredible. The biggest difference is that the Pilots track true with no hint of weaving or wandering, which I always felt on the Macadams and thought it was the bike's "weak" suspension. I have to say that compared to the Pilot Roads, the Macadams are indeed crap.
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Re: PILOT ROAD'S TIRES FOR 1200S
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2006, 09:16:24 PM »
Quote from: CWO4GUNNER
Quote from: snofrog

I have an 05 B12s also and am in need of new tires but have never purchased tires for this class of bike. Can you provide model numbers and good source of supply? Thanks

if your rear is wore out down the center get the pilot road`s. if it is wore out on the edges get the pilot powers. :beers:
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors