Author Topic: Cheap Trike (not the rock band)  (Read 4722 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Cheap Trike (not the rock band)
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:46:34 PM »
My dad turned 80 back in Feb, and rode his little Honda in the Independence Day parade last month, and then sold it.  I think he just didn't feel confident enough to keep riding it.  He is missing it, and I am wondering what a cheap trike might cost.  It could even be something off-brand or electric or rather old...he's just gonna putter around the lake where he lives in ARK anyway.   It's bothering me that he's feeling blue.  If I could get him something inexpensive (or even help him pay for it), I wouldn't care if he didn't ride it much, as long as he felt he could.

So, any ideas?
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Re: Cheap Trike (not the rock band)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 12:41:19 AM »
If I could get him something inexpensive (or even help him pay for it), I wouldn't care if he didn't ride it much, as long as he felt he could.
So, any ideas?

My Dad is 73, got medical problems, arthritis, diabetes etc. But he used to ride a scooter- vespa 150 back in his day, so he knows what has to be done to be safe on the road. We have agonized ( mother and me) over whether or not his dream to get another scooter again should happen. Like I said, his health not great and he has to build up strength from recent "bad turn" of pain with change of meds.

This said, we recently got him an electric scooter (veloteq) - and not the handicapped kind either,  A two wheeled scooter that weights about 175lbs and has a top speed of 40KPH. doesn't even need licensing or insurance as its considered an electric bike. He hasn't ridden it yet, but it sits, ready, for when he knows hes able, outside on his patio. he looks at it everyday, tinkers with it, and all he has to focus on is getting his strength back, his spirits and emotional well being is taken care of since he got his dream come true!

Time is precious. There are risks, sure, but with this, it can do the least harm of any 2 wheeled powered bikes, and more than anything, the benefits outweigh the risks. Cost $750 used from online classifieds ( kijiji )- craigs list might work too for you!. Got 2000k on it. good as new. click here... Veloteq Bikes.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:49:25 AM by Snubnose »
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Jester

• Kevin McCann
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Me and my GSF1250S ABS K7
    • Jester Online
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 01:00:54 AM »
My dad will be 70 this year and he just bought himself a GL1800, his first thought was to trike it but he isn't having any problems with it yet so he might hold off for a few years. The good kits will run around $18k CND so he's happy to save the coin.
2007 Suzuki Bandit GSF1250S ABS
"Keep the rubber side down!"

Offline Ves

• Board Regular!
  • Yes, but Why?
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 09:03:11 AM »
How about the Piaggio MP3.  At speed it leans like a regular bike, but at low speeds the front two wheels lock and you can't tip it over... you never have to put your feet down... Go over to Jay Leno's garage... http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/video/video_categories.shtml?cat=30499   He's got a video of it.

Also, there 's a company out there that makes attachment wheels/axle for any motorcycle... basically they are like huge training wheels... so you actually end up with three wheels in the back... the center one still does all the driving and stopping... Can't think of the company name right now.

Offline billincentraljersey

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »
Can-Am Spyder Roadster ... sorry, not cheap.

Someone should build a scaled down version of the Spyder.  Sort of like a scooter base bike redesigned front end with 2 wheels.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:05:12 PM by billincentraljersey »
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero
Bragging Rights:  NJ to CA in 8 Days on my B1250ABS. Not quite ADV Rider.
07 B1250ABS, 90 Kawasaki Concours, 84 Moto Guzzi V65SP, 77 Yamaha XS360, xx-77 NYC Subway

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »
I don't know how big of a machine you're looking for, but if price is a concern and he doesn't require to go more than ~35, you may be able to find a Honda Gyro.  They were imported into the US for a while in the 80's (variations are still made and sold elsewhere in the world) and are kind of like the Piaggio MP3's opposite.  They tilt and lock upright to park, but the paired wheels are in the back instead of the front.

http://www.motorscooterguide.net/page1/page9/page9.html

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:03:29 PM »
Also, there 's a company out there that makes attachment wheels/axle for any motorcycle... basically they are like huge training wheels... so you actually end up with three wheels in the back... the center one still does all the driving and stopping... Can't think of the company name right now.

The training wheels retract and lower based on speed too, right?  There was a posting about that here a few years ago.   I've since seen them in person.  There's one that's in the shop at Scona from time to time.  I've heard it's a pain in the @$$, and that there are constant problems with the system, and that the company that made the system is unresponsive.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:10:58 PM by stormi »
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 04:24:18 PM »

The training wheels retract and lower based on speed too, right?  There was a posting about that here a few years ago.   I've since seen them in person.  There's one that's -always- in the shop at Scona.  They say it's a pain in the @$$, and that there are constant problems with the system, and that the company that made the system is unresponsive.

I recall what stormi is talking about, but there's also outfits out there that do "trike" conversions. (It's not really a trike with 4 wheels, is it?)
Here's one:

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 08:22:09 PM »
Hey gang, thanks for the feedback and ideas.

I didn't think of a scooter initially, because I assumed remaining upright might be part of his problem, but I think it would be good to ask him.  Perhaps it's just the weight/height of the bike, and remaining on two wheels would be no problem if he can put his feet down at any time and a lower center of gravity.

The Spyder and the trike conversion kits are outside of the spare change I have at this time (my motorcycle savings fund piggybank bears the initials of a certain Japanese sports-tourer).  Plus, for what little mileage he's going to put on it, it would be a waste.

The Piaggio MP3 / MP4 / MP5 look like a possibility, especially on styling.  The Veloteq is another potential winner, especially on price.

So I guess it's time to bring my Dad into the conversation.  In the meantime, keep those cards and letters coming...food for thought is always appreciated.   :thumb:
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Ves

• Board Regular!
  • Yes, but Why?
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 11:47:30 AM »

The training wheels retract and lower based on speed too, right?  There was a posting about that here a few years ago.   I've since seen them in person.  There's one that's -always- in the shop at Scona.  They say it's a pain in the @$$, and that there are constant problems with the system, and that the company that made the system is unresponsive.

No, the one's I've seen are permanently down.  That Voyager think up there is bigger than the one's I saw. 

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 02:22:35 PM »
What about a sidecar unit like the Ural. I think new they are around 12k but used I am pretty sure they can be had for a song.

Offline Jason F.

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 10:57:00 PM »
I agree with the above. A side car unit might just be the trick. I made some parts and helped a couple guys of "advanced age" get their rig on the road for a near three month 14,000 mile journey from the Southeast to Alaska and back the long way. The owner took is daily rider ST1300 to Hannigan in Kentucky and had a hack fitted after he survived a major heart attack. A few months later they set of for the journey.

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/sidecars.html

www.middletennesseeriders.com

"I want to live in a world where a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned"