Author Topic: R6, good bike? what do you think  (Read 3598 times)

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
R6, good bike? what do you think
« on: June 15, 2005, 06:30:43 AM »
Hi guys,
I'm looking at buying a Yamaha YZF R6, Do any of you own one or know anybody who does, what do you think or have heard about this bike I,m looking at getting a 01 to 03 model.

Thanks a million.
When you dance with the Devil its you who changes not the Devil.

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 08:11:36 AM »
I ride with an R6 regularly.
If you read the test reports in bike magazines they are clearly rated very high--for a sports bike.
They make a similar H.P and performance motor wise to a B12,
I recently was lucky enough to chase this bike which had uprated ohlins adjustable suspension ,upgraded bigger tyre on the front to stop it falling over and experienced rider on it,around the east cape of N.Z FOR 80kms.
there was no difference in the performance of either bike except when it tightened up a lot and the b andit was taking up another half of a lane as it took slightly longer to get it to change direction.
we swapped bikes an i found myself sitting over the front wheel with no bike in front of me.but an easy bike to ride which went in the direction of where you looked easily,but seriously,what would you actually use it for.iwas pleased to get back on the banditI'm 6'.0 so it was to small for me with its cramped track day riding position

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 12:47:46 PM »
I'd be using is on weekends and some trips 300mile+ but i'm keeping my bandit I want to get a sports 600 and I like the look of the R6, I thought the the GSXR was a bit to heavy, the Ninja much more cramped than R6 and I'm 6'4

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2005, 05:08:13 PM »
I took one for a test spin,after my bike was wrecked. Its a nice bike for sure. But I missed the torque on the Bandit. It makes a great track tool,but for on the street, I'd rather ride the Bandit.  Dan

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2005, 08:23:36 PM »
I've heard tons of good stuff about the R6. My neighbor has one and he crows about it constantly. Everything I've read is positive. Go for it.

Offline gshok108

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://rand0mbits.com/
R6
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2005, 09:44:26 PM »
I owned a 99 R6 from 99 to Feb 2005.  They are great 600's.  If I were buying another 600 SuperSport I would not hesitate to by another one.  I put 35,000 street miles on it and multiple track days and never a problem.  Luckily I sold it to a buddy of mine, so I still get to ride it!!

Unless the motor in spinning at least 9,000 on the tach, you and the bike will not be happy.  Power is lacking down low, but that's just the nature of high horsepower 600's.  

Go for it, the R6 rails in the fast stuff!!

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 06:12:17 AM »
thanks a million for the feedback guys really appreciate it, think I'll go for it.

Cheers.

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 06:44:19 AM »
I don't if it applies over there, but yamaha don't warranty the gearboxs,on the r1 and r6's here in Oz. It seems a little problem, of the gearbox being starved of oil when the bike is on its back wheel, and both the 6 and the 1 being both very happy to stand it up, under throttle.
Worth asking the question before ya buy. Lots of boy racers have been caught out over here. And its big dollar repairs too.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline theslyfox

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2005, 08:08:56 PM »
Thanks man I'll check that out,  But I'll be taking it easy no standing on back wheel for me( unless by accident) :duh:

Offline slo coach

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 07:29:32 AM »
I've read an article in the last couple of months in the English magazineBIKE in which it said the 600 class is the most oversupplied class in England,with loads of unsold bikes in shops because the manufactures upgrade them long before the owners of the previous models can afford to upgrade to the new models,his point being that he thought that anybody buying a 600 should be able to negotiate hard as there are more bikes than buyers.

slo coach