Author Topic: chipped and oxidized forks  (Read 2567 times)

Offline willo

• Board Homesteader!
chipped and oxidized forks
« on: January 28, 2008, 04:39:29 AM »
My forks are pretty bad, they are chipped and oxidized from to many dirt roads, can any one explain to me how to fix them. I don't know much about painting, I read Stormis blog does that apply to the finish on the forks as well? Thanks Graham

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Re: chipped and oxidized forks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 04:52:06 PM »
If your talking about the tube surfaces that the fork seal ride on they can only be replaced if pitted. As for the outer section of the lower forks that receive the tubes, I have never had mine oxidize to the point of noticing the need for resurfacing but I suppose anything goes from polishing to repainting. If they are that old you may want to consider refinishing them at the same time you rebuild them as they are probubly due for both.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 04:54:54 PM by CWO4GUNNER »

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 09:11:52 PM »
Typically I think the fork lowers are powdercoated.  They'd have to be disassembled and media blasted and powdercoated.  I had rattle-canned my B4's wheels with some really good paint I found in a motorcycle catalog.  It ended up looking great and being far more durable than I had expected.  I had planned to try it on my fork lowers too but never got around to it.  I think I still have a can of the stuff in my basement.  If I get off my lazy ass at some point tonight, I'll let you know what it was....
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline willo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2008, 12:30:21 AM »
Thanks, Its the fork lowers that are the problem, I'm thinking a light sand and maybe paint but I'm not sure. Its not a problem just cosmetic, as most now days not enough money to go around some things have to do my self or just put up with them..Graham

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 02:10:12 AM »
Oh heck in that case just mask off the seals and tubes, hit the lowers with a green scotch pad. Then go down to Lows and buy 2 cans of black Rustolium out door metal furniture paint or barbecue paint and get -r-done.

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
I'd want to paint them something close to the factory silver...I dinked one of the fork legs scrapping off a state inspection sticker.  Now I have another obsolete sticker for my work parking.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport