Author Topic: Another motorcyclist died  (Read 4069 times)

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Another motorcyclist died
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:33:03 AM »
One of the guys I met on my trip to Fontana died yesterday.  He was riding his Hayabusa and passed  a truck towing a boat.  While passing a car popped out of one the side streets and took him out.  So when passing on a two lane road, watch out for cars on side streets. :roll:
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:40:36 AM »
Damn. Sorry to hear it.

Same thing happened to me at about 45 mph, I T-boned the guy and fortunately flew over his trunk, nothing more than a bad bruise and a bent bike.

Do you happen to know how fast he was going?
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 02:14:36 AM »
:clap:

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 03:04:08 AM »
I haven't heard of any details of where it happened or how fast he was going.  What I posted is all I know at this time.

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:16:29 PM »
That's terrible.  

Now I know why I don't disobey the solid/dashed yellow lines on two-lane highways.  They take into consideration intersections.  If there is a solid yellow line, we have to assume there is a reason.

It sounds like it can't be blamed on the car either.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 12:56:03 PM »
Quote from: "jfudo"
It sounds like it can't be blamed on the car either.

No offense, but I don't know how you can say that.

In my case, the car pulled out of a side street from the other side of the moving truck I was passing, directly in front of it. The truck had to slam on his brakes to avoid hitting the guy, I was alongside the truck accelerating past it. The car appeared in front of me so fast there was nothing to do but jump straight up and over. My bike nailed his rear quarter panel, I landed on the other side.

The car driver was charged with reckless driving, failure to yield, and reckless endangerment. His insurance paid all my medical and therapy bills (badly bruised hip), time missed from work, bought me a new bike, and a little thrown in for pain and suffering. I could have easily gotten more if I would have sued, but I'm not the greedy sueing type... it was a fair offer and I took it.
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:08:36 PM »
Its this kind of thing that freaks me out as a new rider. :( There has been at least one death per day in and around Montreal during this past week. Most of them were at intersections and/or people pulling out or in front of motorcycles. Freaks me out that this kind of thing happens with little to no warning.  :sad:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 03:42:17 PM »
Don't let this kind of sad news get you down Goose. How many people do you figure get killed in their cars in your area? How often does that make the news?

The important thing to remember is keep a good head on your shoulders, pay attention and ride like you're invisible.
You can still do all that and have fun, believe it or not.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2007, 02:57:20 PM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"

None taken.

It seems that the car would have the right of way when going in the correct direction in his lane.  The bike was in the wrong lane.  I admit that I don't certainly don't know for sure, especially with minimal details.

It really doesn't matter whose fault it is anyway.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2007, 05:14:53 PM »
Quote from: "jfudo"
Quote from: "ZenMan"

None taken.

It seems that the car would have the right of way when going in the correct direction in his lane.  The bike was in the wrong lane.  I admit that I don't certainly don't know for sure, especially with minimal details.

It really doesn't matter whose fault it is anyway.

The car should have looked both ways before pulling out. It may have been a legal pass on a broken yellow. We don't know how fast the truck was going. We don't even know which side the street was on.

We just don't know enough about the incident to make a judgement one way or the other... that's why I questioned you when you said it wasn't the car's fault. Glad you agree.  :wink:

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 07:05:19 PM »
:clap:

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 01:41:30 AM »
I had a situation once while I was passing a car during a legal pass, she decided to turn left on me while I started to over take her.  I ended up bumping up against her and got out of it with a sprained ankle.  She insisted that she had her turn signals on, but she did not.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2007, 02:43:06 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Don't let this kind of sad news get you down Goose. How many people do you figure get killed in their cars in your area? How often does that make the news?

The important thing to remember is keep a good head on your shoulders, pay attention and ride like you're invisible.
You can still do all that and have fun, believe it or not.

+1

The fact is that motorcycle accidents get reported a LOT more than car accidents.  

That's not to say don't watch, and don't be paranoid. :)

Be careful, and never ride in a blind spot.  Be extra vigilant at intersections, and always assume that people don't see you, then judge accordingly.  ( of course you will ( have) learned all this in the MSF class, right?)
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline longislandbandit99

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2007, 07:23:17 PM »
Be careful JFUDO, in NY where we live, No Fault prevents us from claiming damages from the other driver when there is an accident.  Read over your policy carefully because NY state has cracked down big time on people who lawyer up trying to sue the other party for more money when the injured's insurance isn't covering enough because they cheaped out and got basic liability.  In the car I don't worry but on the bike I make sure I have lots of insurance just in case.  I learned that lesson two years ago when I got rear ended on the LIE in stop and go traffic by an asshole on his cell phone.  Luckily I was in my F-150 and not on my Bandit as I had previously planned that morning.