Author Topic: Couple on motorcycle killed after stopping to take photo/WY  (Read 2230 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Couple on motorcycle killed after stopping to take photo/WY
« on: September 06, 2005, 10:29:36 AM »
Couple on motorcycle killed after stopping to take photo
Associated Press

CHEYENNE, WYO. - A man and a woman on a motorcycle were killed when they tried to turn around on Interstate 80 and were struck by a tractor-trailer rig near Pine Bluffs.

David M. Rhoades, 55, and Lillian K. Rhoades, 50, both of Lewisville, Texas, stopped alongside the eastbound lanes Saturday to take pictures of the Nebraska state sign, according to the Wyoming Highway Patrol.

David Rhoades then drove their 1995 Harley-Davidson across the median. He pulled into the path of a Volvo tractor-trailer, which hit the motorcycle broadside. The truck driver was not hurt.

This is kind of a dumb wreck.....
  All because they wanted  to say they 'rode in Nebraska'.
  Crossing the median of the interstate to change directions is dumb, illegal, and dangerous.
   It's hard for you to judge the speed of the traffic coming at you, and the traffic coming at you may be not be paying attention.
  I can't tell you how many cars I've seen cross the median, plop out into the high speed lane, at 10-15 mph, and then start to accelerate..........scattering traffic and almost killing someone or getting killed.
   In most areas of the US, there's usually another exit a few miles ahead you can exit, and turn around.
   I can't remember if the 'welcome to Nebraska' sign is past the ONE exit in Pine Bluff, or before it.  Either way, there's another exit 8 miles up.
  It's bad enough to die before your time....but to do it doing something stupid............... :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......