Author Topic: Corbin beetle bags  (Read 5280 times)

Offline SoonerVa

• New user!
Corbin beetle bags
« on: May 06, 2005, 09:14:34 PM »
Has anyone used the Corbin beetle bags (Bandit Hardcases)?  What did you think?

Also, the models listed by Corbin only go up to 2001.  I have a 2002 600S and the instructions for the old bikes look the same.  Any idea if this would work on my bike.

Looking to get a little better set up for commuting.
 :motorsmile:
Chris
02 Bandit 600S

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Corbin beetle bags
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2005, 01:17:49 AM »
Here's the  basic run-down....

I've seen them on several bandits.   They look great!

They can be a little hard to live with, due to the shape of the openings.

They don't remove 'easily'......
   You're not going to pull up to a motel, or your house, and remove them and the contents....and walk away.

SOmething more functional, and versatile, is a setup of GIVI boxes.
  You can get them almost color matched, (Depends on your bike color)or have them painted.
  They remove easily, so you can carry your stuff away, or not use the boxes when you don't want to.  (Leaving a somewhat unsightly rack system behind.)

The boxes themselves are 'universal', and sometimes you can find them used, or you can use them on another bike with appropriate mounting hardware.

The Corbin boxes look lovely, but consider other options!

:motorsmile:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Corbin beetle bags
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 04:18:59 AM »
No change in the B6 between 2000 and 2004 that will affect the fitting of hard luggage from Corbin or anyone else. The Corbin bags are nice looking, but the drawbacks Pete mentioned is exactly what has kept me from buying them... and the relatively styleless cases and racks that show when the luggage is off is what's kept me away from the functional offerings of Givi, Krauser & Hepco-Becker.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline oremike

• Board Homesteader!
luggage
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 11:01:21 AM »
I use the JC Whitney trunk for my daily stuff, soft bags for Touring and pratice the art of Bun-Ji for anything else. The Corbin Bettle Bags won't work with the exhaust I have and because of the body work bulges any hard bags stick out 4" more than they need to.
My .02 worth
Here's a link to my Bandit in varios state of dress:

http://www.pbase.com/oremackies/bandit_mods

Mike M.
Ride the roads that make you giggle in your helmet.

Offline fracl

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Regular!
    • http://cyclestuff.tripod.com
Corbin beetle bags
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2005, 01:20:06 PM »
...what Pete said...

I've used both the Givi setup and the Beetlebags...for serious touring  (any trips over 10 or so  days) where space is a must, the Givis can't be beat, besides which they're easily removable. The Beetle bags look and fit great, but are non removeable and have a funky shape, which makes packing an execise in creativity. I use a Givi topcase in conjunction with the Beetles, and that helps a LOT in increasing useable volume.

Again, it depends on how much packing room you need; just remember that gear expands to fill all available space, according to Mr. Murply.  :shock:
"..not all who wander are lost.."

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Corbin beetle bags
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »
Be careful, oremike, with that rack/trunk - or anyone else with a rack that mounts only to the 2G's grabrail fasteners.  Too much weight on it can cause the framework under the bodywork to crack & fail.

This is what happened to snubnoze's bike - and he swears he never overloaded his.

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SoonerVa

• New user!
Corbin beetle bags
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »
Does anyone have pictures of the Givi hardcases installed on their bike?  My original thought was I would be carrying a gym bag or something like that to the office and back but can see myself getting into weekend tours and stuff over the summer so the Givi may be a better solution.

Thanks for all the advice already.
02 Bandit 600S

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Corbin beetle bags
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2005, 09:10:29 PM »
Here's a pix of the bike Manny used to own.......

Givi offers various sized boxes, that you can mix and match, and still use the same mounting system.

There are several other manufacturers that offer Givi compatible racks.
  You may find a rack that you like better than the GIVI rack, and still be able to use the boxes.

FRACL has a MTC accessory store, and can get the GIVI stuff.

Another place with a lot of GIVI and compatible stuff is http://www.twistedthrottle.com

If you decide on the GIVi stuff, watch EBAY for used boxes.
    SOMETIMES you can get a deal.....
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......