Author Topic: Dropped the Bandito!  (Read 5108 times)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Dropped the Bandito!
« on: January 25, 2007, 01:51:26 PM »
Yup, putting the dang thing into a truck to take to storage for the winter months. Got the wifes B6 in ok, but by the time it was my turn, surfaces were way too wet and slippery, without me noticing. :roll:

Got half way up the ramp, she slipped, back wheel slipped, I never got a chance to make the sure footed position transition to the ramp myself and the bike started down. :crybaby:

The bike, despite my best efforts of holding her up and  telling my wife (like that did alot of good) that "I cant hold it!" came down on top of me, pushed me down and back. Sylvia (I call her that), became inverted and thanks to the kickstand, got hung up on the ramp lip to the side. What a sight! :sad:

After realizing I had actually hurt myself (Least of my concerns), seeing the Bandit hung upside down like that was not very soothing!. Getting her full weight off the side stand that was hung on the lip of the ramp was fun! (yikes). I had all these images of what exactly would be "grinding down" as I had to get her off the ramp fully to get her up!. :crybaby:

Heres the expense toll: left side fairing=scuffed, gear shift=bent, mirror=gone, indicator light=obliterated-not even any trace of it being there!(how that hapened-I dont know). :roll:

I could of literally smacked the guy who came by, looked at Sylvia upside down and said," thats unfortunate!"

So now I have the wonderful task of replacing pieces. Got the shifter=ebay, getting the fairing replaced=ebay from 2001 bandit of same colour.(I probably could of gotten the fairing fixed as the damage is more superficial really, but I also had a drop a couple of years ago where there were marks, so, I decided to replace anyway), Mirror=Ebay. I found a gel seat on Ebay to boot!. :wink:

All in all, I think I got off lucky, (for Sylvia and for me) I only recieved a bruised femur from trying to hold her up (the bike, not the wife) when I should of accepted the inevitable instead!. SO Bruise is going away now, and waiting for my stuff.

P.S One thing I found out about Ebay,= Dont always search for item with specific terms, I punched in only "Bandit seat" and found a Geller in the mix!. :grin:
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »
Wow, I can almost feel the anger, pain, humiliation. We have all gone through similar scenes in our experiences with the two-wheeled sport. But take serious comfort in that fact that you and your wife were not seriously injured and that Silvia with her many unfeeling parts can be replaced. I like what you said about the inevitable drop and letting her go. As much as I hate to do it I have let many a motorcycle hit the ground rather then tear one muscle. Your fortunate.
  You may want to invest in a bag of sand inside your storage unit to toss on the ramp for next time if its icy or wet.

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 02:46:44 PM »
Quote from: "CWO4GUNNER"
Wow, I can almost feel the anger, pain, humiliation.

Thanks for your empathy. It ironically helps to know I'm not the only one! :thanks:
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 03:11:29 PM »
:sad: Bummer!

If it's any consolation, it sounds like both of you got off pretty light, all things considered. I'm glad to hear there wasn't more serious damage to either of you!!!

On a lighthearted note...

:stickpoke:  You can avoid such things by not putting your street bike into the back of a truck though.  :wink:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2007, 03:16:20 PM »
Yea, I've only dropped my Bandit once, in a similar fashion, but got lucky, NO damage...

However, I've done that same thing with dirt bikes a half dozen times (usually loading by myself) over the years.

Glad to hear your OK.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2007, 03:50:27 PM »
Ouch... welcome to the club.  I had a parking lot drop last fall in Arkansas - tried to go over a curb at an angle (mistake #1), lost my footing (mistake #2) and tried to keep it upright (mistake #3) but to no avail.  Literally a zero speed laydown that was potentially 500 bucks to fix.  I've deceided to live with the scratched fairing, bend rear brake lever, scuffed can (bottom only - don't ask how) and only replaced the turn signal but I was some kinda PO'ed for sure.

I could have/should have hurt myself lifting it up after several well chosen cuss words - just couldn't bear to see my bike laying on it's side and "help" did not arrive until later.  That put a damper on the weekend's ride until a bud wadded up his FZ-1 in a turn (no serious injury thank goodness) and after seeing his bike mine didn't look so bad.
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 04:03:41 PM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 04:29:26 PM »
Oh my, I have the dry heaves, catch my breath here. OK, you hit the nail right on the head.

Quote from: "Ranger"
yup, it happens
Look at it this way: You're in a position to spend money for repairs; I've seen riders drop their Bandit and be off work for 6 months  :duh:

Offline Bob Holland

• Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 05:09:31 PM »
A couple of years ago, I had gone to the dragstrip. My first test run I spun a rod bearing, I push it back to the pits and on to my trailor, I put the tie down strap on the left side, in the mean time a friend came over, not knowing that I had already blown my engine, unhooked the strap on the left side,(trying to help me unload the bike), I hooked up the strap on the right side, knowing that I had the left side hooked, I gave a big pull on the strap, and pulled the bike over, putting a big dent in the gas tank. You talk about adding insult to injury, a blown engine and a bent gas tank, all in one night. :crybaby:
If I didn't have a Suzuki, I would have a Kawasaki

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 09:51:20 PM »
AW  Major drag - I'm sorry for you, there is nothing worse than a ding in the baby.  I doesn't seem to help knowing that there was nothing you could do except jump for it.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 11:24:59 PM »
I've had a few embarrassing drops before too.  My most embarrassing was back in 96 when I started riding again.  I took my 82 CB750C to the shop because it failed emmissions.  As soon as I pulled it in and stopped, my foot slipped and laid it down.  No damage, except to my pride.  Glad to hear that you are already on the road to recovery though.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2007, 01:12:35 AM »

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 01:29:55 AM »
In Arizona, bikes have to go thru emissions testing.  It was too high in one of the areas, and I didn't know enough about bikes at the time to do the work myself.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 01:48:19 AM »

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Dropped the Bandito!
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 05:32:00 PM »
Not in all parts of AZ. Only the dense areas. Here on Arizona's west coast there is no such thing YET!