Author Topic: engine heat management  (Read 2397 times)

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
engine heat management
« on: August 28, 2005, 12:10:05 AM »
question for track and street
water or other-cooled bikes

it got hot on the freeway today
the air was dry and hot and the heat at my
feet from the asphalt and the naked b4 engine
wasn't uncomfortably hot but noticibly
more than warm - engine light never came on
engine never stalled or died

but if i were to ride through even hotter drier weather
what precautions should I take engine wise?

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
engine heat management
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:06:26 AM »
I've been stuck in horrible stop and go traffic this week in 101 degree temps on my 1200 for an hour to hour and a half and other than sweating my @ss off I had no problem.

Geez I hate traffic.  I wouldn't think there is much you could do other than having a squirt bottle of water with you to wet yourself occasionally.  Bike should be fine.

I assume the B4 is an oil-cooled bike?  I have no problems with my air-cooled 450, either.  But from the crotch up I'm on fire. :crybaby:

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
engine heat management
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:21:10 AM »
B4 are water cooled  :grin:

Yeah, they give off quite a bit of heat in traffic, especially when that fan kicks in. I rode mine quite a bit in the dead summer in Orlando, in heavy traffic. The heat was always noticable, but never really too bad, although it could get pretty hot at a stop light. Like you, though, the temp light never kicked on and I never had a problem with the engine stalling.

Best advice, if you think the engine is running a bit hot try cleaning the radiator fins. They have a tendancy to sometimes pick up gunk in between them, which can reduce airflow.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
engine heat management
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 04:03:24 AM »
I think basicly the 400 bandit is like the across 250's
The minister of war, ( she whom must be obeyed) and I ran 2 across's for courier work, going back a few years.
Mate they are unbreakable, in the middle of summer down under working the CBD, with the temp gauge always at 3/4, being flogged.
Both units had well over 60 thousand miles up when we sold them off.
Both ran really well when sold, and in fact the oldest one still pulled a genuine 110 MPH. Both engines had never been pulled down, valve adjustment only and some carby tinkering only. One thing I did do is, install a manual switch to turn the fans on earlier, than the auto system did. It seemed easier to keep them from getting too hot than trying to cool them down, especially running around the city block all day.
The other is use good quailty oil, during the hotter months and depending on how many miles the engine done, I would also consider using the next weight heavier oil.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
engine heat management
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 04:48:54 AM »
Agree re: going up in oil weight.  Won't keep you cool but will definitely keep the engine happy in the heat.  Early last month went to 20/50 (B12N)when the shifting got really sloppy in the 100 deg. heat.  Bike seems very happy.  Hottest summer I can recall.... :duh:

Bill  :motorsmile:
The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200