Author Topic: Fair prices to pay?  (Read 2138 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Fair prices to pay?
« on: June 12, 2006, 11:16:20 AM »
Before you say it, I physically cannot do these mods myself.  What's a fair price to pay to have these springs (which I already bought) installed and is it wise to go ahead and change the seals at the same time or no?

Also, I'm about to buy Z6 Roadtecs somewhere and what should installation cost?  Anything else appropriate to have done while they've got the wheels off?

:thanks:

Offline kedeg_97B12

• Board Homesteader!
Fair prices to pay?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006, 12:54:26 PM »
Are you taking the whole bike in or just the forks? They shouldn't charge more than an hour for labor if they are off the bike. A stealer here quoted me $75 to change the seals on mine. That included the required fork oil change and spring replacement. This was taking the forks in though.

I ended up doing it myself. It took me about 2.5 hours from jacking up to lowerering down. I wouldn't pay more than 2.5 hours labor.
If the seals aren't leaking then I feel they don't need to be changed. If one is leaking, do both.

Keith
97 1216 Big Bore, Gixxer intake, with
Holeshot commemorative figurine with kung fu grip, Red
12 volt Dewalt drill, Yellow,
Moen bathroom faucets, Chrome

Offline tannerismyhero

• Board Homesteader!
Fair prices to pay?
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2006, 01:22:51 PM »
stealer quoted me 80 to change the seals if I brought in the bike (and seals I had already bought from them)...ended up chargin me $115.00. Half hour extra labor (asked if they ran into anything and they said no) and also 9.00 for shop supplies. Once they have the fork apart the spring should be able to be dropped in tho.
01 1200s

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
Fair prices to pay?
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2006, 01:52:31 PM »
$115 isn't bad if you brought the whole bike in and they had to take the forks off the bike.  They have to remove the springs anyway to change the seals so dropping in your new ones shouldn't be a problem.  Seal removal is tricky and its easy to damage the tube so I wouldn't mind paying a little extra if its done right and you have no further worries.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Fair prices to pay?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2006, 02:01:23 PM »
I'll be taking the bike in to either the dealer or a local metric shop I know to do the work.