Author Topic: Falls 3 stories from off ramp into Lake/WA  (Read 3928 times)

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
Falls 3 stories from off ramp into Lake/WA
« on: November 20, 2005, 03:39:36 AM »

Survivor of dramatic motorcycle crash said it seemed familiar
By Erik Lacitis

Seattle Times staff reporter

A 40-year-old woman who flipped over and fell three stories into Lake Washington when her motorcycle hit a curb at an offramp on the Highway 520 bridge left Harborview Medical Center Friday with injuries no greater than cuts and bruises.

Reshel Reid of Redmond, a mother of five, said that two weeks ago she had had a vivid dream in which a bike hit an offramp, and somebody was falling off a freeway exit but survived by swimming to floating driftwood.

That's why, she said, she didn't panic as she swam to Marsh Island near the University of Washington.

"I've been through it. It was déjà vu," Reid said at a news conference Friday.

But her dream didn't include getting a ticket from the State Patrol for "speed too fast for conditions."

Reid said she was going 20 miles an hour on her Suzuki DRZ 400 SuperMoto bike as she was getting off at the Lake Washington Boulevard exit shortly before 11 a.m. Thursday.

She was on her way to do a story for a Web site devoted to female motorcycle riders.

Reid said that perhaps she hit a white painted stripe on the offramp. "It was damp outside," she said, and maybe that caused her bike to skid.

But Kelly Spangler, spokeswoman for the State Patrol, said she went to the scene about half an hour after the accident. "It was bone-dry," Spangler said.

Spangler said there were no witnesses.

Nonetheless, Reid counts herself lucky. When she went into the water, she was able to slip off her backpack that contained 15 to 20 pounds of coins she had planned to cash in.

Reid, whose bike is now in storage, said she hopes to be able to retrieve the backpack, a camera, tape recorder and cellphone that went to the bottom.

She first rode motorcycles at age 15, she said, but hadn't been on a bike for 25 years until this past July.

On the wominX.net Web site, Reid wrote about taking up motorcycles again:

"Such a time is this, just knowing, and having the anticipation of venturing out, exploring, journeying, touring countrysides, be on some wild trek, is exciting, and will play out its part in my life! I know now that it was no accident, that I was reintroduced to motorcycles. It is just the right turn into the rest of my life."

Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
crash
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2005, 04:22:21 PM »
At least she fell into Lake Washington which is semi-clean.  If she'd fallen into the Duwamish River she would have been the new toxic avenger :lol:

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2005, 04:58:17 PM »
:shock: That would be enough to make me show up at church on Sunday.

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2005, 04:58:19 PM »
Dunno, when I first saw this story I figured 'lucky squid'.
  Then I saw she was riding a DR400 supermotard, and it looked like she was wearing full gear in the news photos.
  One way or the other, this gal is lucky, and tough....and probably pretty interesting! :motorsmile:

Heck....hitting the water from 3 stories can be fatal enough!
  At least she didn't have to worry about gators....I guess there aren't Orcas in Lake Washington....or killer seals? :wink:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2005, 07:02:42 PM »
No, you'd have to fall into the water on the other side of the locks where the water is salty... you can find seals there frequently - they like to feast on the salmon trying to get into the lake.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
I know I'd be anxious to retrieve my camera, tape recorder and cell phone after sitting at the bottom of a lake for a month.  

Wonder if the $20 worth of coins threw off her center of gravity causing this accident?

Offline SimplyMe

• New user!
Thanks for the interest...
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 04:56:00 PM »
Quote from: "jfudo"
I know I'd be anxious to retrieve my camera, tape recorder and cell phone after sitting at the bottom of a lake for a month.  

Wonder if the $20 worth of coins threw off her center of gravity causing this accident?

Hi to all, Happy New Year... Since this accident has generated numerous questions I will give you a quick answer to this one...  I did actually retrieve 50% of what I lost at the bottom of Lake Washington... unfortunately I haven't recovered the loose coin.  It is buried to far in the mire to find so will have to try to retrieve during the summer when the weather is clearer and warmer, and nope it wasn't the money of coins tilting me off balance... it was another factor. I will say this retrieval was an adventure in it self and the time in which it was done... but, that is another story and a series of articles will unfold this uncanny incident and can be found on the following sight beginning shortly after the New Year rings in at...

WominX.net

Thanks for wanting to know more...
In the Lords hands I ride...
 SimplyMe
  ~Rea
"When and to Where the Lord sends me... I'll need 2 wheels 2 get there!"

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2005, 05:43:20 PM »
Thanks for posting Rea! I'm sure that was an incident that you'll never forget!

From the news reports, it sounded like they were gonna give you a ticket. Did they? Did you beat it?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline SimplyMe

• New user!
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Thanks for posting Rea! I'm sure that was an incident that you'll never forget!

From the news reports, it sounded like they were gonna give you a ticket. Did they? Did you beat it?

Thus far I have not recieved anything from the great WA HWY Patrol...

I hope to have more up regarding this story soon...

At the moment I am awaiting the arrival of my first grandchild. He is due any time now and until his arrival I have a lot on hold. So thanks for everyones paitents.
:)

Offline SimplyMe

• New user!
Written Visual 2 Accident...
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2006, 02:21:17 PM »
Hey all...

I said I would come back and let you know about this uncanny accident and how it happened. The article, along with a few photos, will appear on Wominx.net by the end of this week.

See you there... Have a Grand Day where you are!

SimplyMe
  ~ Rea

Offline SimplyMe

• New user!
The Pitch, The Hit, The Splash!
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 09:34:09 PM »
“The Pitch, the Hit, the Splash!”

It was the kind of day only Seattle can produce on a consistent basis; chilly, noticeable dampness in the air, and fully over-cast. It was Thursday morning, November 17, 2005, when I was on my way to conduct an on-site interview at TouraTech, located on 34th Ave., on the SE side of Seattle, for an article, which I was writing for WominX.net

At 10:15 AM I gathered items for the interview, along with other personal effects, and making sure all riding gear was properly in place, bike prepped and fueled, I headed over on my ‘05 Suzuki DRz400SM motorcycle around 10:25 AM for an estimated 30 minute ride.

I recently moved from Bremerton, WA, and am now a resident of Redmond, just a smidgeon east of Seattle.

Local area commuters know the route all too well from Redmond to downtown Seattle - going directly over WA-520, floating bridge. So, to get there, I did just that… made a B-line, heading due West over one of Seattle’s famous floating bridge.

The usual heavy morning traffic had disbursed and the commute would be quick, easy, and uneventful. No momentary hesitation, nor any direct thought, or concern prior to the following event which would unfold just minutes ahead of me. It pretty much looked to be a casual ride over. At least I had thought that when I began crossing over the floating bridge.

As I approached my exit onto Lake Washington Blvd., toward the Washington Arboretum, making my way to TouraTech, I encountered an unexpected delay, a delay which would result in a midmorning splash into Lake Washington. This was caused by multiple elements. Overlapped and coinciding together, all in the same instance, which took a turn where I would experience first hand how a DRz throws a hard pitch!

There are a few factors to consider as you approach and prepare to merge onto Lake Washington Boulevard’s exiting off-ramp, to effectively execute a steady slow down on the approach to the stop sign. This exit ascends upward, with a few various twists and embedded grooves along the curbs edge. The exit is a half mile in length, with a shoulder about five feet wide from the fog line to the curb/barrier, and an exiting speed of about 35 miles per hour. A gentle turn takes one 90 degrees towards the left (south) before you stop at the stop sign.

Approaching this exit, I decreased my speed with the compression of the motorcycles engine, knowing I had to be within the approximate exiting speed. I began slowing about 100 yards before the off-ramps entrance to where my traveling speed was approximately 35 to 40 miles per hour, and continued manually slowing up the exit.

I simultaneously began applying small amounts of pressure to the front and rear breaks. As I passed over the connection joints, I hear the engines pace steadily winding down. I felt the road surface change from smooth to rough. Now I could feel the road go thump, thump, thump underneath the tires. It had changed the handling of the DRz performance as if from a Waltz to a Sock Hop all in just one motion.

Looking ahead, I followed through with my vision in the direction I intended to go.

Almost immediately I got the impression I was going in the wrong forward line. At first, I did not realize I was being ineffective in going toward the line of sight I intended. My posture and bike position were right. Yet, as I leaned to take the turn for the direction I was supposed to be heading, the DRz was more poised in a sideways slide, and at an angle I didn’t like!

The DRz acted like it had a mind of its own! As if, it wanted to lie down to take a nap. I immediately noticed other unusual occurrences going on. I felt the backend start to vibrate, like the beginning of a tank-slapper, but the rear continued to slide further out from underneath the bike. Additionally, the bike was just not slowing down.

Now dreadfully apparent, this was not going to be a typical type slow down!

My mind immediately began thinking of corrections I needed to make! As quickly, calmly, and efficiently as I could think, I started going over all of the required steps for a safe correction. First, I gently brought the bike back up and attempted a slight variation in steering. Second, I tried holding and carrying the bikes momentum… I was trying to continue down the first line of sight of my turn. Thirdly, I was not panicking as I steadily reapplied direct braking pressure to bring the bike to a controllable speed in order to maintain and follow through with the natural curve of the off ramp.

“Crap”… this is not working!” But I knew it needed correcting… and quickly!

Suddenly, the bike leaned at a left angle! With me poised upright… The bike was not responding… I could see down the whole side of the bike, and its distance between it and the curb narrowing. Running through my mind was, “I’m getting too close!”, while in the same instance I felt an uncanny feeling as if I had gone through this once before.

With no hesitation, or panic, I thought, “I’ve got to correct this sideways slide!” as I again released and reapplied the breaks. I was trying to maintain… self-control… staying calm, and… thinking of ways to keep from running up and onto the curb!

Now the DRz was acting as if it had mind of its own. I could see it heading for the concrete barrier, and I had the thought that it was going to try to toss me in between it and the concrete wall. Possibly pin me in!

Yet still… in the back of my mind, I knew it wouldn’t take place.

The curb, about a foot high and two feet deep, was a continuous concrete structure, and atop it sat the side barrier about two feet tall. Affixed to the top of the barrier was a rounded tubular metal guardrail. Lampposts were spread apart at about sixty feet intervals.

Uncomfortably aware of the curb right along side the DRz and me, I tried… once again seeing the bike turning successfully through the corner.

“Crap… no change!” I tried everything I knew. But still, the bike wasn’t recovering!

There was no veering away! With little else to do, I looked up, and prepared for the collision. Seemingly directly in front of a lamppost, the DRz struck the barrier. Having been at the highest point of the upper deck off-ramp, I literally pitched up… over… and mingled with the guardrail wall, as I was heading head first into Lake Washington directly below.

Stay tuned for part two… “The Splash!”
All rights reserved, written by Re. A. Reid ~ ©2/06

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 10:06:15 PM »
Honey, you give me the heebie jeebies tellin' this!

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2006, 07:53:01 AM »
Hey, she's the lucky one, a fellow courier, came a gutza, and went over the rails and on to main freeway, and was collected by an 18 wheeler. at least it was quick.
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.