Author Topic: Stretching the Legs  (Read 2880 times)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« on: May 26, 2007, 04:31:12 PM »
I've finally had an opportunity to take Dreadnought out for a decent run. Went for a little 200mi jaunt this morning with a bud who has a new SV650 (I tried to talk him into a B12 but he decided on the SV). About halfway through the ride we traded of for a about 15 minutes...when he got off his first words were "what a beautiful motor". He couldn't get over how much power this thing has everywhere. He said he may have to re-think his decision of buying the SV :wink: I really liked the riding position of the SV and it was fun to wring its neck a little :wink:

Now as for my impressions of the B12. I have a Muzzy full exhaust, Holeshot stage 1 and timing advancer, 1.5" hole in the airbox...otherwise its stock. I first had 4 shims on the needles and was very disappointed with the jerkiness of the ride at part open throttle, I've since gone up to 6 shims and it feels good, smooth throttle response and lots bottom end. I can whack the throttle open as low as 2K rpm and it doesn't bog, acceleration from 3K up is incredible. Out on the highway you an pretty much forget about the tranny...short shift to 5th and leave it there...it has more than enough grunt to pass from as low as 45mph. Seating position is about perfect for me, the rear shock is a tad harsh but not enough to bother me. There is a slight buzziness around 4200 rpm but its not intrusive. Wind protection is decent and buffeting is minimal. Over all I'm quite happy with the machine as it sits now, I think its going to be a good mile eater :motorsmile:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 04:39:15 PM »
I like your expression about the fun in wringing the neck on the SV650 in contrast to the B12 which requires a conscientious hand.  Glad your settling into your bike and the improvements you've made.

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 06:25:04 PM »
Thanks 'Gunner...yeah definitely had to crank the wrist more to get the same result but I really liked the SV, it felt really tossable compared to the B12.  The guys in the office are starting a pool to see when I get my first performance award on the new bike, I told them not to hold their breath :wink: I think Dreadnought is fairy well sorted for the type of riding I will be doing, I can't see many more mods coming down the pipe for it.

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:36:40 PM »
Glad your'e getting some miles on the bike, and that you are liking it so much!  :bigok:

On the rear shock, try turning your rebound dampening 1/4 turn counterclockwise. It might be loading up a tad.

What are these "performance awards" that you speak of? Is it a Canadian thang? Club?

On the SV650, I always thought it would make a great track bike. I liked the same engine in my DL650, though it was slightly de-tuned. Being a V-twin, you could enter the SV in a lot of different classes and be competitive, without a lot of money spent on performance parts and such. Your thoughts?
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:17:16 AM »
Quote from: "ZenMan"
Glad your'e getting some miles on the bike, and that you are liking it so much!  :bigok:

Thanks, I'll be putting a few thousand miles on it in June during my road trip to BC

On the rear shock, try turning your rebound dampening 1/4 turn counterclockwise. It might be loading up a tad.

I'll give that a whirl, thanks for the advice :bandit:

What are these "performance awards" that you speak of? Is it a Canadian thang? Club?

Speeding and/or stunting tickets :wink: I'm not too worried about stunting tickets because I don't do wheelies or stoppies...but I do like to exceed the posted limit at times :duh:

On the SV650, I always thought it would make a great track bike. I liked the same engine in my DL650, though it was slightly de-tuned. Being a V-twin, you could enter the SV in a lot of different classes and be competitive, without a lot of money spent on performance parts and such. Your thoughts?

I agree, it would make a good lil track bike and if I could afford another bike I'd certainly consider an SV650 just for the track...may have to look at some insurance write offs :wink: I had a ZX7R track bike but it was too heavy to be a lot of fun at our local track, an SV would be much better

Offline ZenMan

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 12:24:24 AM »
Nice ZX7... Production class or Superbike? I always raced the 750's too, mostly cuz I'm a big guy. I always wished I was smaller so I could be competitive in F2, and on the RZ350's. But they didn't have SV650's back then!  :roll:

Hahaha... "performance awards"! I'll have to remember that one.  :lol:
"Hmmm... near certainty of death with little chance of success... what are we waiting for?"

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »
The SV 650s are not only a inexspensive track bike of joice (if there is a such thing as a inexpensive track bike) but they make good lap X as well,and usally lead the way in the light wt. class. I'm hoping to try my SV1000 out on a track day befor the summers over. I do alright with the big bad Bandit, but the SV takes alot less effort to go faster on.
    Dan

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stretching the Legs
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 10:20:48 AM »
Nice ZX7... Production class or Superbike? I always raced the 750's too, mostly cuz I'm a big guy. I always wished I was smaller so I could be competitive in F2, and on the RZ350's. But they didn't have SV650's back then!  :roll:

Hahaha... "performance awards"! I'll have to remember that one.  :lol:

That was a superbike class. The bike was beyond my skill level but was a whole lot of fun. It had the best brakes and chassis of any bike I'd ever ridden...the neighborhood kids loved it when I did 'tune up' runs around the block :lol:

Quote from: "smooth operator"

The SV 650s are not only a inexspensive track bike of joice (if there is a such thing as a inexpensive track bike) but they make good lap X as well,and usally lead the way in the light wt. class. I'm hoping to try my SV1000 out on a track day befor the summers over. I do alright with the big bad Bandit, but the SV takes alot less effort to go faster on.
Dan

Yeah they rail around our small track :grin: I'll get one track day while I'm out in BC and hope to get another in at our local track before the season is over