Author Topic: Fuel price update  (Read 5986 times)

Offline amboman

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« on: April 25, 2006, 01:41:08 AM »
Sorry to keep b*tching about this but at least you guys listen when my own government won't.  The latest development is 91 octane now retails for $1.67 per litre and premium $ 1.76 per litre.  Prices vary depending on where you live in the country and I know that where I am is not the worst off.

Question:  I am thinking about buying a scooter for commuting to work(ok stop laughing now), that means getting up about 30mins earlier in the morning but I think I will save a heap of fuel.  My question is do any of you guys use scooters at all or is that just to uncool???    :lol:
Taken over by the dark side. Now riding a CB 1300 but visit my old bandit regular.

Offline snofrog

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 06:00:22 AM »
um i dont know if i could go with a scooter ...there are plenty of smaller bikes to get the job done pulling incredible mpg`s but a scooter :lol: however if you will be using it on your paper route then i give you a big thumbs up . M
oo b12 s
thank`s Ivan
z/g smoke sr
yosh ss can
crg bar end mirrors

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 06:11:47 AM »
Mate, scooters can be so much fun.
I used to do a bit of on call work for an advertizing company riding around on Vespa's with trailers on.
But having said that scooters can be fun.
I can get off, riding around on a little 250cc, as long as there is heaps of corners. :wink:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 07:11:53 AM »
Nothing wrong with scooters, just as long as you get one with a bit of steet cred.

Something like a Gilera DNA - http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/mgileradna.htm
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 07:25:31 AM »
Holy Crap!  Our gas prices in Southern Ontario, Canada have gone past $1.00 and seemed to have settled on 1.06 per litre!  National average is #1.09.   I thought that was a rip!!

At those prices I would get one of those little chinese junker 125's that look like a real motorcycle.  Get you great mileage but you wouldn't have the 'doorknob' handle to fight.

These probably everybody would back a scooter buy , anyway, with gas going through the roof.

Jim

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 09:03:55 AM »
$1.39 for ULP, $1.46 for PULP....$0.56 for LPG

I wonder......how big a tank would you need to run LPG on a bike....

And before anyone suggests Diesel, forget it.   Diesel is the same price as PULP.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline ray nielsen

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »
I've just made a migration from a Bandit 1200 to a Suzuki Burgman 650 due to advancing arthritis.  The step through design gives me a few more years of riding vs. not riding, an unacceptable alternative.

It's about as heavy as a Bandit, gets better mileage (around 50 MPG) and has enough power for freeway riding as well.  Cruises at 75-80 on the speedometer (optimistic) and has a low center of gravity for easy handling.  

A friend with a Burgman 400 says it's highway adequate and he claims over 60 MPG in mixed city/country riding.  Being much heavier than he I chose the larger motored version.

I notice that some motorcyclists don't wave back, while the general public seems to be more open, often initiating a conversation, particularly at the gas pump.  

I think scooters are cool and hot too.

Offline jfudo

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 01:01:55 PM »
I ride my wife's ninja 500, gets 55mpg.  That bike is still faster than most cars, and handles great.   Even a ninja 250 can keep up with traffic and get into the 60's.  My point is that you can get the mileage without damaging the reputation (too much).

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
scooters
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 01:36:50 PM »
Some of the new scooters out there are pretty cool.  They also have a ton of storage space.  Right now I think I would lean toward a dual sport.  The Suz DRZ 400 supposedly gets around 45 mpg.  Husky has some real nice dualies if you want to pay a little more.  Ride to work and do a little trail riding on the weekend.  I see scooter sales being huge in the next few years.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Fuel price update
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 02:46:02 PM »
I just sold an old Honda Spree. (My cylinder count would have just went down by one - but I just picked up a tiller, so it stayed the same - WHEW!) It was just a little 48 or 49cc job. IIRC, it got ~85 mpg or so. Was fine for around town duty, but since it only did ~35 mph, it wouldn't be so great on faster roads. Was great for around town, but since I don't live in town anymore, it was time for it to go. The rules in WA classify it in the same category as a moped (<50cc, top speed 35 or less), so you don't have to have a m/c endorsement to ride it. The wife loved bopping around town on it. I rode it a few times, but I'm actually heavier than what it was rated to carry.

I think the newer, bigger scooters, like the Bergman & SilverWing are great and would be good commuters or even long distance machines. I've heard of at least one being ridden in Iron Butt events and doing well, so there doesn't seem to be a question that they can't be ridden for LD work.

This new breed of scooters look so much like a motorcycle from the front, it's often hard to tell if they're not real motorcycles. I'd wave to 'em even if I knew they were scooters - but then I wave at scooters anyway... they're out there enjoying the 2-wheeled experiience too.

If I was trying to save every penny I could on gas though, I'd probably just buy the most fuel effecient motorcycle I could find that would fit the requirements of the commute - as long as it wasn't a cruiser. Though I must admit the cargo capacity of the modern scooters does have its appeal.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 09:13:38 PM »
Interesting headline in today's news....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20060425/ts_csm/amoped_1

Offline parraxis

• New user!
Fuel price update
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 03:11:36 AM »
:lol: i thinks the scooter idea is great, I've seen amboman on a scooter....including a honda nifty 50. If a man of his "presence" can ride one then I think that anyone can. on a serious note i think its a good idea to save the bandit for those touring trips, give em a decient run!!!

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2006, 10:36:02 AM »
Gas prices are nearly $3.00 a gallon here not 10 miles from a huge Exxon refinery. So what did I go and do? I just purchased a Ram 1500 Quad Cab Daytona package with a gas sucking Hemi. Makes perfect sence doesn't it? I couldn't resist the Go Mango orange color. The $70 + dollar fill ups are going to kill my bank account. But did I mention the color is really really cool? :lol:
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline tacoman

• Board Homesteader!
gas
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »
Hey, diesel is now the cheapest fuel around here.  I can keep driving the Superduty.  There are lots of nice little 4cyl. cars you can pick up for cheap and use as a commuter.  Keep the truck for weekend duty.  I'm fixing up my '92 Geo Tracker (got a bad valve, see off topic post) to keep as a run around car, doesn't break the bank filling up the 11 gal. tank

Offline chupacabra

• Board Homesteader!
Fuel price update
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 07:09:44 AM »
I just filled up and payed $3.19 for reg., it was $2.89 last week!

Time to ask the boss for a pay raise. :duh:
Dave . . . San Diego, California
1996 GSF600S Marble Italian Red
I bought new in sept of 95
D.I.D. 530ZVM gold x-ring chain
Pirelli Diablo 120/60F & Strada 160/60R
Progressive fork springs
H.S. HD rear axle nut & washer
Hole Shot 17" comp1 can