Author Topic: Gah! See What happens when I find myself with a few extra hours on my hands?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
I went and bought my first brand new streetbike.

Yes,.. It's brand H,.. but I still love you all,... equally.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 03:48:22 PM by stormi »
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Congrats, you'll really like how well balanced VFR's are.
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Is this something like waking up the next morning with a tattoo?  If you still have the receipt, maybe you can take it back... :stickpoke:

Congrats.  Will be looking forward to hearing all about your new adventures.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Way to go Stormi...

Based on your pic, I assume it is a new, non-current 2008 model? Great bikes...I thought I always wanted one, but I pretty happy with the Sprint ST 1050.

I guess we've both got a couple of months to go before this season kicks off. How much snow have you got there? Not much here, we are getting +2 or 3 C every afternoon, and only -3-5C at night.

Again, congrats on the new ride.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Wow....   :congrats: on the new mo'sheen!!!

Guess you'll have to sign up at VFRD....   :rofl:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Congrats, you'll really like how well balanced VFR's are.

It felt it in the showroom.  It seems less top heavy than the 919 I ride right now, despite weighting a heck of a lot more.  I also really liked the fact that I can get a lowering link for it.  Not a luxury that I had on the 919.

Is this something like waking up the next morning with a tattoo?  If you still have the receipt, maybe you can take it back... :stickpoke:

Congrats.  Will be looking forward to hearing all about your new adventures.

LOL! I won't lie,.. I woke up the next day and thought,... "wha,.. what did I do!?!?!"  But I think it's more like going to Vegas with an old friend that you're secretly a little attracted to, and waking up with a ring on your finger. It could be worse. :) It's not like I'm marrying a Harley.   :rofl:

I can officially pick it up Mar 31, and they'll deliver it if I want, but it will depend on the snow.  They also made the sale subject to a test ride (if I can get it in before Mar31st.) If not, I'll make my decision the same way I did for the Bandit, the KTM, and the 919 - without test ride.

The Mar 31 deadline is so that I get the 2nd year of warranty, and the 2years of road side assistance rolled in.  I'm thinking I'll get them to do my heated grips, so I don't have to worry about warranty issues.

Way to go Stormi...

Based on your pic, I assume it is a new, non-current 2008 model? Great bikes...I thought I always wanted one, but I pretty happy with the Sprint ST 1050.

I guess we've both got a couple of months to go before this season kicks off. How much snow have you got there? Not much here, we are getting +2 or 3 C every afternoon, and only -3-5C at night.

Again, congrats on the new ride.

Correct.  My favorite dealer had it left over.  Actually, they have 2 of them.  I get the one in the crate still.  And I didn't pay near that much either. In case a bunch of you think I'm nuts.
Well, I am,.. but not that nuts.

I was never really crazy about the look, but it's started to grow on me.  I'm still not crazy about the look from the front, but (in no particular order):

1. No one's going to mistake it for a cruiser
2. The mirrors will be useful
3. I can ride later in the year, and earlier in the year, because I will have some wind protection.
4. I can lower it if need be (it's a tiny bit taller than the 919 as best I can tell, or the sag is set higher on the one in the showroom.
5. Hopefully it's not going to hit me in the ass as I go down St Albert Trail anymore (I suspect the bad roads combined with the 919s flex frame contributes to me getting a smack in the rump on every bump.  I've taken to riding that road MX style.)

There's a fair bit of snow here, and we're "seasonal", so around the -10C mark,.... And now I"m stir crazy for summer.  I'm not sure why though.   :roll:

Wow....   :congrats: on the new mo'sheen!!!

Guess you'll have to sign up at VFRD....   :rofl:

Thanks!!  My first new Streetbike, this should be interesting. I'm gonna need to put a lot of miles on it, perhaps it's time to start planning a Bandit (and VFR, and 919) gathering this summer

My guess is PNW, but we might be able to make it further to accomodate some of our lower states friends.  :grin:

Yeah, I think I'll lurk there, and stay here instead.  :grin:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:44:33 PM by stormi »
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Looks great I thought maybe they sold it here but could only find the VFR 1200 for about the same price. Even though Im a Suzuki fan I know Honda makes the best bikes if your willing to pay the price. I myself wont buy any for off-road except Honda. That bike is probubly going to ride perfect right from the start and engineering pretty much the same. Congrats!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
They did sell the VFR800 until this year.  The 2010 version of the bike is a 1200.   I have absolutely no need for that much power (in fact, I'm technically taking a downgrade as best I can tell by moving to the VFR.)

That said, our prices, compared to your prices are usually pretty out of whack.

What I really love is that the model didn't change much (fuel mapping, I think was the main change, less of a hit at 6000rpm with the newer mapping) from 2002 to 2009. That should mean very few "bugs" to deal with.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 02:28:51 PM by stormi »
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
I can officially pick it up Mar 31, and they'll deliver it if I want, but it will depend on the snow.  They also made the sale subject to a test ride (if I can get it in before Mar31st.)

I was wondering about that.  We've had three ice/snow events since the first of the year (including today's surprise 4" of snow), so I know you've had even less rideable days than we have.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Last season was an "awesome" year for riding, we were able to ride into November (if you had the heated gear, and a faired or windshielded bike (neither of which I have, so my last ride was about Nov 2)

After that?  It was too cold to ride, below 32F for the most part, and in Dec, we got dumped on pretty good.  We've really only had one really good "ice / snow event", but it was a doozy.  I think something like 3 feet, and it's still here.

I fully expect our usual Feb deep freeze, and our Mar / Apr/ May snow dump still, but I'm hoping that I will get a clear enough day to try the bike out at the very end of March in between the dumps.

stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
What I really love is that the model didn't change much (fuel mapping, I think was the main change, less of a hit at 6000rpm with the newer mapping) from 2002 to 2009

IIRC they changed the VTEC engagement rpm, in '07 or '08. The origional used to change from 2 valves to 4 at 7000 rpm. The newer versions change to 4 valves at 6200 rpm. Likely there have been some changes to the fuel and ignition maps as well. They were trying to get at the complaint that the change when the VTEC engaged the 4 valves was too abrupt, something that put me off about the earlier model...

I haven't ridden a new version, but it IS a slick, smooth, powerful, comfortable, tourable, sport bike. Like most Honda's, the fit and finish is pretty darn good. I'm sure you'll love it.  :beers:
Paul

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies

IIRC they changed the VTEC engagement rpm, in '07 or '08. The origional used to change from 2 valves to 4 at 7000 rpm. The newer versions change to 4 valves at 6200 rpm. Likely there have been some changes to the fuel and ignition maps as well. They were trying to get at the complaint that the change when the VTEC engaged the 4 valves was too abrupt, something that put me off about the earlier model...

I haven't ridden a new version, but it IS a slick, smooth, powerful, comfortable, tourable, sport bike. Like most Honda's, the fit and finish is pretty darn good. I'm sure you'll love it.  :beers:

You are correct sir.  r_outsider said that this happened in 2006 though.  After that, we had a big discussion about how the VTEC works.  I think I understand a little more.  Good thing I should have a couple of months before I have to deal with a valve adjust for that thing. 

I had heard the same thing about the "old" version, and had had someone from Scona recommend that we wait for the 2006 (back in 2005.)  I waited a little longer apparently. :)

What I'm really hoping for is that I can ride for a longer period of time at a time, than with the 919.  I can usually go about an hour on the 919, then I need to stretch.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
"It could be worse. :) It's not like I'm marrying a Harley.   :rofl:"

Hey........whats wrong with Harley's! ................................................ :yikes:

Whooooooopst........Wrong fourm.............I retract that statement  :bigok:

Just  :stickpoke:

:congrats:
Congratulations, nice motorcycle! Looks like a lot of fun.
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
What I'm really hoping for is that I can ride for a longer period of time at a time, than with the 919.  I can usually go about an hour on the 919, then I need to stretch.

If you want to ride with Red01 and Bobcat, those two won't stop for at least 2 hours +(and sometimes at 100 mph!!  :yikes: ), so you'd better get your butt used to it before we do a serious Bandit Alley PNW ride this year.

We should start taking about when and where we can ride in 2010. In 2009 I know Tony(greyhound) got his ride in mostly solo, and Cargo7 and I got out for a couple of extended weekends, but we really need a decent Bandit Alley ride this year. Maybe well have to meet you south of Calgary, and run through Glacier National Park, down past Libby or something. When will you and R-ousider be able to take an extended weekend?
Paul

Offline wizzobeer

• Board Homesteader!
You better make sure they install the other side of that swing arm looks dangerous  :stickpoke: . And congrats!