Author Topic: Gel seat price  (Read 10642 times)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« on: May 01, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »
How much did those Suzuki gel seats go for new?  Anybody remember?  Just curious.

When did they quit making them?

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Gel seat price
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 11:22:53 AM »
In '01 when I priced them, they were $165 at my local dealer and ~$130 from Ron Ayers.

IIRC, '04 was the last year they were available through Suzuki for the 2G and '01 or '02 was the last year for the 1G.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 11:30:42 AM »
They are appreciating in value!

Offline mike

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:39:50 AM »
I paid $155 from the dealer where I bought the bike in 2001...  http://www.stubbsoriginal.com/  They had to order it...

Offline gearset01

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 05:54:13 PM »
Got mine here three months ago for 100 and shipping. Its used but clean.
PIN

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
price for gel seat
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2006, 09:58:05 PM »
y'know, I picked one up off ebay, slightly used, just after it was made obsolete by suzuki canada.
I tried eveywhere. even the uk, where many of the sites database inventory still notes that they carry it. Even in the uk, it was higher at around $130 pounds.
I got mine off ebay at...ready for it?... $300 US dollars. yikes, i felt sick afterward. however, its the only way my vertically challenged wife could sit comfortably on her B6. (even after lowering it as well). so, yes, they are appreciating in value.
SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 03:48:14 AM »
I had bought one off of someone here at the site for $100 plus shipping. I tried it out for a while and ended up sending it back and bought a corbin off of e-bay. The gel seat was harder than the stocker seat.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Re: price for gel seat
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 10:00:16 AM »
Quote from: "snubnoze"
I got mine off ebay at...ready for it?... $300 US dollars. yikes, i felt sick afterward. ...

$300 for me, too.  But I expected it.  I've been watching eBay for months and they kept going for $285 or thereabouts.  I bid a few times and lost.  As time goes by, though, a new one will become incredibly rare, so I splurged on it.  H$ll, it's cheaper than some things I could do to the bike.  I just wanted to try it and have it available for longer rides if it works well.  If I end up disappointed, experience shows me that I can get my money back.  :wink:

Offline terrebandit

• Board Homesteader!
    • Daves Bandit Group
Gel seat price
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2006, 03:37:50 PM »
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"
They are appreciating in value!

I think you are correct.  Probably should have held on to mine longer....

:yesno:
My Bandit(s) -click here  >={{{*>
2000 B12S "Good Ole Bob"
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 02:48:32 AM »
For those prices you may consider having Sargent re-work your old seat.

I have a gel seat and while they are better than stock, they are not the best in my opinion. Especially on hot days. They also cut down on leg room to the pegs, which can be a problem on a long trip.

I have really considered getting my stock re-worked from Sargent.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 09:55:28 AM »
I've got a Sargent.  But I just had to have a gel, too.  Some folks swear by them for long distances and I want to see for myself.  If it doesn't impress me, it's up for sale right away.

Offline elmot

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Gel seat price
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2006, 11:11:35 AM »
i JUST BOUGHT A LIKE NEW GEL SEAT LAST WEEK ON EBAY.COST 100 DOLLARS PLUS SHIPPING.I BOUGHT IT  IMMEDIATELY WITH THE BUY IT NOW OPTION.IT HAD ONLY BEEN UP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS,I WASN'T SURE IF I GOT A GOOD DEAL OR NOT,BUT AFTER READING THESE POSTS I'M GLAD I GOT IT FOR 100 DOLLARS.I FIND IT TO BE MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE THAN THE STOCK SEAT.
mid fifties,30 yrs law enforcement.marine corps 1970-73.1st bike 125 yamaha 1967.current 1998 valkyrie 2005 bandit 1200s

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 12:21:46 PM »
Quote from: "elmot"
i JUST BOUGHT A LIKE NEW GEL SEAT LAST WEEK ON EBAY.COST 100 DOLLARS PLUS SHIPPING.I BOUGHT IT  IMMEDIATELY WITH THE BUY IT NOW OPTION.IT HAD ONLY BEEN UP FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS,I WASN'T SURE IF I GOT A GOOD DEAL OR NOT,BUT AFTER READING THESE POSTS I'M GLAD I GOT IT FOR 100 DOLLARS.I FIND IT TO BE MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE THAN THE STOCK SEAT.

Wow, you did steal that seat!  The guy selling didn't realize what he had.  He should have looked through the closed auctions.  I bet he kicks himself later.

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2006, 05:59:06 PM »
Just so happens I finally put on the gel seat today and forced my 11 year old daughter to go with me to report on passenger comfort.

I found it to be more comfortable for ME than the stock seat and the Sargent seat, although the Sargent seat is like new and probably has some breaking in still to do.  I swapped out the striker from the Sargent, but forgot to swap the 6 cushions out, too, so my test is likely flawed.  I'll try again tomorrow when perhaps my brain will be functioning better.   :duh:

Anyway, like I said, I found it pretty comfortable, but couldn't ride it long enough to find out how long I was good for with it, because my daughter started getting a butt ache after about 20-25 minutes.  I pushed it another 30 minutes until her squirming got dangerous and stopped to buy us lunch.  She said it was worse than the other one, meaning the Sargent seat she was on last time.

Drat and dagnabbitt!  That's 3 seats now and she's only good for 20 minutes.  She said at first the gel seat seemed really cushy, but that faded.  Too bad, too, 'cause I'd like to drag her around with me more, but I can't have her miserable back there!

Last option, one of those strap on padded gel cushions.

Tomorrow I find out what I really think of the gel seat for me.  With all the parts installed.  :roll:

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
Gel seat price
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2006, 04:00:57 PM »
Three hours and no butt burn!  Woo hoo!  Gel seat rocks.  Looks like it'll be the Sargent for photos and 10 minute trips to the store, but the gel seat for long, lazy, morning rides!

Butt Burn Meter

Stock Seat = 30 mins
Sargent Seat = 45 mins
Gel Seat = 3+ hrs

Maximum gel seat ride time without butt burn undetermined at this time.

I am now a believer!