Author Topic: Got hit by a car today  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Lurch

• Board Regular!
Got hit by a car today
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:55:08 AM »
I was coming home from school today and this old guy in a hurry backed out of his spot right into me.  :annoy: Then the guy has the nerve to get out of his car and yell at me like it was my fault. Funny thing is I think I did more damage to his car then he did to me or my bike. I thought at first that I might have broken my foot but I think now that it is only sprained. Damage in the pictures looks worse then it is. All I really need to get going is a radiator but since his insurance is going to have to cover it I will make sure everything gets replaced. Luckily this happened in  my complex so I was able to walk the bike 150yds to my spot and leave it there

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: Got hit by a car today
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:04:23 AM »
Glad you're alright!. I can't believe you demo'd his car and only got a damaged rad and turn signal! Amazing.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 02:06:19 AM »
Yes very good your not seriously hurt and it looks like you have the right cop (motor cop) writing the report. In any event its called illegal backing as I did it once to another car when I was about 20 years old. Just like you say it happens when you back out in a hurry and he is lucky he didn't back into a small child on a bike or tricycle. My sisters neighbor backed out fast and ran over a 6 year old's head and the neighbors were in such an uproar over her yelling attitude on scene that she had to eventually move away.

Offline Pillage

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:41:17 AM »
I'm glad the old guy wasn't driving an SUV!  :duh:
Hope you're back on two wheels soon.
Good luck with the insurance guys. 
FZ1000S,  GSF1200SV,  CB750F
Support the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
Thanks for posting all the pix.  You are sooooo fortunate that he was going so slow, you were not seriously hurt, and that hs is insured.  Glad you're still with us, let us know how the repars go.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 12:16:56 PM »
good to hear you're ok, not lets hope the insurance doesn't take forever to get your bike ok again.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
  sorry to hear that,could have been worse tho. Hope all goes well getting things fixed.

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »
I'm glad you're ok and damage to the bike was minimal.  Being right though is scant consolation.  I always check cars for drivers whenever going through a parking lot.  If a car has a driver, I give it a wide berth and keep an eye on it.  If its running, you KNOW is is going to back up, you just dont know exactly when. Also, cagers always back up ten feet BEFORE looking to see in anything is behind them.

Blue
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline bngboyd

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 12:22:44 PM »
So glad you are ok for the most part!

Radiator guard would have not helped you there.
Bob
Redding, Ca.

2007 Bandit 1250S Non-ABS Black
2005 Bandit 1200S Yosh RS-3 Slipon (Wrecked!)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 02:20:37 PM »
Sue the phucker.  :stickpoke: Your neck hurts, right?  :lol: Glad you're OK.

Seriously, I think when people hit ~65, their driving ability should be check on a yearly basis. Granted, this guy was just a moron, but I've been almost hurt or killed on several occasions by senior citizens who should just not be driving. They should be subjected to extensive driving situations where their reflex actions and common sense are put to the test (granted, they should do this to all drivers, but I degress...). Peoples ability to react appropriately can diminish greatly once you hit this age period. Granted it's different for every individual (I know of some guys over 70 that are aerobatic pilots), but the only way to know is to effectively test them. Too many people over even 60 years of age should just not be driving anymore.

Offline Have Blue

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2008, 02:28:50 AM »
I've averaged 25k miles a year on my bikes since 1971.  A few years have topped 50k miles.
I believe I have seen every type of bad driver there is to see many times over.  My list of dangerous drivers is:  1. Soccer moms in vans with cell phones.  2. Anyone else on a cell phone. 3. Wanna be rice racers that have to prove their econo box will outrun a Fireblade  4. Drunk drivers.  5.  Drivers that believe 2 feet is a safe following distance.  6. Senile drivers.

Granted, old drivers dont have the fastest reflexes, but consequently, they do everything relatively slowly.  Usually, when they are involved, there is plenty of lead time to accommodate the situation.  I believe more accurately, we could say that there are too many people of various ages that for various reasons should not be driving.  The elderly account for a minority within that group.

The elderly are not, by any standard, the most dangerous on the roads.

Blue

Quote from: Vidrazor

Too many people over even 60 years of age should just not be driving anymore.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 10:38:17 AM by Red01 »
03 B12 S
79 XS400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2008, 10:40:06 AM »
With a topic title like this one has, I was expecting a lot worse.  Glad to hear it wasn't as serious as I thought!

Hope all goes well with getting your bike back into shape!
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2008, 06:47:45 PM »
Really sorry to hear about the accident, but glad you are okay.

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:05:31 AM »
+1 to all the comments about making it through the accident with little harm to yourself. Another reason why wearing gear at all times is a good idea. Never know when something like that is going to happen. I've had a few close calls in the parking lot at my apartment complex as well. They finally put a stop sign in at an intersection where I've had to close calls before.

With that being said, score one for the Bandit  :lol: Tore that little car up!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S

Offline donohio

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:26:47 AM »
Then the guy has the nerve to get out of his car and yell at me like it was my fault.

I've gotta' ask, when he started yelling at YOU, what did you do?

Personally, I woulda'  crawled right down his throat! :annoy: