Author Topic: Gripping Question  (Read 4087 times)

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Gripping Question
« on: October 18, 2008, 06:51:12 PM »
I want to replace the grips on el Bandido because the OEM ones have gotten pretty hard and compressed over nearly 48K miles and 5.5 years.  I picked some out online that looked good and have gel padding.  They arrived today, but when I took the OEM throttle grip off, I noticed that the left end (near the kill switch) has a sort ot rubber boot that goes over the white plastic of the throttle control.  The new grips would just butt up against that white plastic and look ugly and expose the throttle cable end (I think).

Has anyone replaced their grips with anything other than OEM replacements?  If so, were you able to overcome this problem?  What brand did you buy?   
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
Re: Gripping Question
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 01:59:41 AM »
I have, what you have to do is very carefully with a dremel tools and a sanding drum is sand off as flush as possible all the stick up plastic except for the last one closest to the kill switch housing. I don't have a picture, but if you have any questions you can give me a call 760-314-7042. I will be available tomorrow evening after 5:00pm PST.

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 07:07:23 PM »
I have, what you have to do is very carefully with a dremel tools and a sanding drum is sand off as flush as possible all the stick up plastic except for the last one closest to the kill switch housing. I don't have a picture, but if you have any questions you can give me a call....

Hmmm...I am always a little iffy about permanently changing something, but I may end up going that way.   I probably won't be doing anything for another week or so.  No matter what, I appreciate your kind offer of tech support!

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 11:48:10 PM »
Yep... all aftermarket grips that I'm aware of will require you to dremel down that mount flange on the white throttle sleeve.

Worst case scenanio?  If you don't like the aftermarket grips after filing down the throttle sleeve you'll have to buy a new OEM Suzuki throttle grip & tube... which last time I checked was around $15.  Not exactly a life or death deal financially.

I recommend filing it down and getting new more ergonomic grips, like the beefier Gran Turismo grips that I put on mine.

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 12:31:11 PM »
PaulVS:
Have you managed to get some genuine Gran Turismos ?? Those are my grip of choice too....but unfortunately they've been long unavailable as new. The Taiwanese OGK items look the same but are not quite as cushy as the original GT's.
I'd sure appreciate a lead to a set of new GT's. Any help ??
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 02:53:46 PM »
Unfortunately... I got the firmer ones.  I like them though.

I believe that JC Whitney might carry the ol' cushy type.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/BLACK-RUBBER-CUSHIONED-HANDLEBAR-GRIPS/GP_2002128_N_111+10211+600014737_10111.jcw

"No more wimpy grips!"

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2008, 04:45:54 PM »
Worst case scenanio?  If you don't like the aftermarket grips after filing down the throttle sleeve you'll have to buy a new OEM Suzuki throttle grip & tube... which last time I checked was around $15.  Not exactly a life or death deal financially.

I hadn't thought to look up the cost of "undoing it", but that puts it into perspective!

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 01:34:27 PM »
I replaced my grips yesterday.  As recommended, I dremmeled the extra ridges off the stop throttle grip, and then glued the new grips on.  (They are Progrip Gel Touch (with "weather high resistance"!).  I also ordered OEM replacement grips (which included the white plastic throttle grip) so I would have them on hand if not happy with my work.

Thanks to all who provided guidance on this topic!