Author Topic: Front Wheel Flat Tire While Moving  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Slider

• Board Homesteader!
Front Wheel Flat Tire While Moving
« on: August 03, 2008, 01:40:48 AM »
I posted this once before but I can't remember whether it was on Bandit Alley

Have Any of you people had a front wheel flat tire while moving? Have you talked to anyone who has?

I recall talking to one guy only, years ago, who had this happen. He said he could no longer steer the bike. It went into a longish arc into the ditch.  :yikes:

I've had a number of back wheel flats -all but one of these on gravel at construction sites, but that's another story. If anyone is curious, I'll repost that too.
Bandit 12, Yoshi can, jets, KNN, Gen Mar risers, 3 Givi 36L hardbags

Offline Dink_1170

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Front Wheel Flat Tire While Moving
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:11:58 AM »
If your front tyre goes flat you do get very heavy sluggish steering, and I strongly suggest against using the front brake with a flat front tyre.

Dink
Old enough to know better, young enough not to care!!!
07 Bandit1250S - "Bonnie"
85 GSX1100EFF - "The Tractor"
82 GSX1100SZ - "Kitty"
82 GSX750SZ -"Lil Kitty"

Offline mwheat308

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 03:01:34 PM »
I don't know for sure, but I think I rode the bike about 15 miles with a flat on the front. The front end felt heavy, hard to turn at low speed but thats about all. I know it was flat and very warm when I pulled into the driveway.
Gun CONTROL is hitting the target the FIRST time!

Offline Old_n_Slow

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 08:59:18 PM »
This is old school, so I'll probably be corrected by someone else here. Have had 2 front flats while riding (flats suck) and the rule was 1) pull in the clutch immediately. This will prevent a weight transfer to the front wheel when you  2) close the throttle. 3) Stand up (if you can) and transfer your weight to the rear. 4) Don't touch the front brake, gently engage the rear brake only, until you bring the bike to a stop. 5) Curse and swear and vent your disgust.

This routine worked perfectly for me both times.
2009 KLR 650
2006 ST 1300

"you live and learn, or you don't live long"

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 01:34:06 AM »
coasting to a stop on a strait is not so bad and the norm procedure for me. But if you happen to get a rapid front flat in a leaning turn and the tire starts to slide out from under the rim, you can be in deep trouble and go off the road. At which point I just keep the wheel strait and brake hard with the rear as counter steering will put you on the ground.

Offline Blade

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.billsbikesnservice.com
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 11:13:47 PM »
coasting to a stop on a strait is not so bad and the norm procedure for me. But if you happen to get a rapid front flat in a leaning turn and the tire starts to slide out from under the rim, you can be in deep trouble and go off the road. At which point I just keep the wheel strait and brake hard with the rear as counter steering will put you on the ground.

Actaully no you won't be in trouble, just weight the front wheel and use the rim to dig in to the pavement and rail the corner. Of course I am kidding, so please don't do this.

I have only had a front flat on dirt bikes, but of course you don't really notice it there because you usually run low tire pressures any way.

Offline vwkaferman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 11:54:03 PM »
Years ago, I went on a group ride with a bunch of guys from work (Air Force). One Harley, couple of sportbikes but our intent was to all stay as a group and have a nice relaxing ride. Buddy and I decided to play on a straightaway. On a closed course, I saw an indicated 130mph (nothing for my old bike, it would show indicated 170mph topped out). All the sudden, I was in a high speed wobble, could not control it for shite.

Laid OFF the throttle and wrestled that bitch back under control. I was headed for the guardrail in the opposing lane. Got it under control, slowed back down to about 45mph. Fellow riders caught up, pointed to the front tire, flat.

Weird thing is, pulled into the next gas station (yes, I road it on a flat for about 5 more miles), took a chance at putting some air into it and it held. It had a HUGE bubble on it, but held air back home, some 20 miles or so.

Thanked my guardian angel and my lucky stars that day.

James
'74 Beetle. 0-60, probably.
'05 Bandit 1200