Author Topic: Helmet Shades?  (Read 5338 times)

Offline ant_129

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« on: November 19, 2006, 12:42:11 AM »
Any body know where I could get some sunglasses that are somewhat comfortable under a full face helmet?  I am too lazy to do the tinted shield replacement but could use some UV protection every once in a while.
02 Bandit 1200S
Holeshot 21" slipon
Holeshot Stage 1 jet kit
Givi engine guards

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2006, 03:22:12 AM »
Pretty much any wireframe glasses works for me.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2006, 05:16:46 AM »
Being a short sighted person, I where glasses all the time.  In my experiance it's as much the helmet as the pair of glasses that determines what can and can't be worn.....

For example I can't get my wire framed glasses on, let alone my prescription Addidas sunnies, with the FG series of HJC Helmets, but I have no problems with the CS Series.

My advice, take you helmet with you when you are buying glasses and take your glasses with you when you are buying helmets.

The other thing to think about is that thin wire frames will bend and eventually break, or become un wearable when off the bike.
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2006, 12:52:53 PM »
Has anybody tried the Nolan vision protection system?

http://www.nolan.it/home.asp then click on VPS

I also remember seeing a helmet that had a similar set up on the inside of the shield, but I can't remeber the brand.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2006, 01:58:48 PM »
Just tinted safety glasses with the stiff reaches, will slide behind the ears after the lid is on!

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 10:50:28 PM »
Check out Smiths.  Polarised lens and they come with a set of 4 different lens, clear, yellow, and bronze, and tan.  All in a hard case.   They are light weight and fit close enough to slip under a helmet without a problem.

I got a pair a couple of weeks back and love them.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 11:01:06 PM »
For me, polarized lenses do really weird things under a shield.  Gives me all kinds of funky shadows.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 12:37:23 AM »
>>For me, polarized lenses do really weird things under a shield...<<

Essentially what's going on is a phenomenom which can best be described as dichroic interfereometry pattern filtration by dynamic chromatic polarization. It's pretty cool if you drop acid while you ride, but is otherwise really distracting if you're actually trying to pay attention to what's going on outside your visor. I haven't tried it out with my HJC's visor, but my Shoei's visor is one helluva light show with polarizers.

Offline GSFStiny

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 01:23:26 AM »
I wear sunglasses alot of the time.  Its just a PITA to leave wearing the tinted visor and having to switch to clear for the ride home.  The polarized lenses cause strange things to happen, but you get used to it and I dont think its a distraction.  Google 'fuglies'.  They arent too pricey, but look pretty sweet.

::edit: http://www.fuglies.com.au/
I used to think the brain was the most fascinating organ in the body.  Then I thought, 'well sure, look who's telling me that.'

99 bandit 1200s

Offline fritobandito

• Board Homesteader!
Nolan
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 05:26:51 PM »
I like that shade on the Nolan. I have the N100 helmet and would love to have that visor. Anybody know where to get it?
Christ is Lord!

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:35 PM »
For me, polarized lenses do really weird things under a shield.  Gives me all kinds of funky shadows.

The colors are really cool too!  like one of those weird multicolored paint jobs.  I started laughing one day when I watched a car go past me, and realised I couldn't even be a witness if there was a wreck.  I couldn't tell what color the car was!  

I just wear a cheapie pair of sunglasses ( like a walmart special)  I used to have a pair of "ironman" sunglasses made by fostergrant.  They supposedly had shatterproof polarised lenses, but one day they shattered while I was trying to squeeze them on after I put the helmet on.  I had images of that happening from a rock (cos I leave my visor up in the city a lot of the time), and decided that I'd switch to plastic lenses.

I do find that the helmet/sunglasses fit better now than they did at the beginning.  As the padding in the helmet wears in, the glasses won't be so uncomfy.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline banditoverde

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2006, 01:01:55 AM »
I like Oakleys with straight ear pieces.  I take off the rubber covers and they slide right under the helmet.  I also like polarized lenses under a tinted face shield.  Its much cheaper than drugs and the cops can't prove I was grooving on the funky lights :motorsmile:

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 04:46:19 PM »
I personally like Road Max glasses because of the glass lenses and the reasonable price. Unfortunately I can't seem to find any more dealers for them. Solis was the last place that had them and they don'r carry them any more. They really are great sunglasses with lightly tinted lenses and spring loaded ear pieces. I was able to pick up a pair for about $45 american. If any body can find some again please let me know.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2006, 05:30:18 PM »
I also wear 'scrip glasses, and find any that have curved earpieces (like wireframes) are really hard to get on...behind my ears (not outside of them) and under the helmet liner (AKA do-rag).  The ones with straight earpieces, usually made for sport applications and with rubberied temples, like Adidas are easy to jam on and stay in place.

As above, having two layers of polarizing (the lenses and the visor) make dry roads look oily, so while poloarized lenses are a must, there's a learning curve to get through.
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Swamp Rat

• Board Homesteader!
Helmet Shades?
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
WOO-HOO!! I found a supplier ...and they are only $8.50 a pair! Trust me that is a steal! I'm going to order about 10 pair.
Brian
20003 1200s
2001 Drz 400e