Author Topic: Hey! Buy American, you jerk!!  (Read 10502 times)

Offline jbrough7

• Highway Goddess
  • Board Homesteader!
Hey! Buy American, you jerk!!
« on: April 12, 2006, 07:36:04 AM »
Fellow I know saw my new Bandit and that's what he said to me!  Tried to explain to him the only American bike in the Bandit's class (even remotely) is the Blast but it isn't even close to being there.

I'd love to keep my dollars on this side of the pond, but what's a fellow to do?

The Honda Accords built in the States continually beat Accords for quality coming out of Japan.  So we can do it if we want to, right?

We have the smarts over here and the technology and the work force...why can't we build a great mid-sized bike for low dollars in North America??

Offline HarleyBandit

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Hey! Buy American, you jerk!!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 08:28:33 AM »
Quote from: "jbrough7"
Fellow I know saw my new Bandit and that's what he said to me!  Tried to explain to him the only American bike in the Bandit's class (even remotely) is the Blast but it isn't even close to being there.

I'd love to keep my dollars on this side of the pond, but what's a fellow to do?

The Honda Accords built in the States continually beat Accords for quality coming out of Japan.  So we can do it if we want to, right?

We have the smarts over here and the technology and the work force...why can't we build a great mid-sized bike for low dollars in North America??

Not alot is Made in America anymore!!!
I removed my Gauge Pod from my 2003 Harley,right there on the bottom it said "Made in JAPAN!!" :crybaby:

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 09:13:02 AM »
Quote from: "HarleyBandit"

Not alot is Made in America anymore!!!
I removed my Gauge Pod from my 2003 Harley,right there on the bottom it said "Made in JAPAN!!" :crybaby:

Try buying Australian mate.

Even the cars that are supposedly MADE IN AUSTRALIA have Yank or Jap engines with German or Jap electrics - about the only thing that is made in Oz are ROH Wheels (Incidently these are used by HD as well), but I think they've gone out of business....

When an Aussie does come up with a wonderful idea, the silly bastards in Canberra let it get bought by some Yanky/Pommy/Jap/Wog company, who take great pleasure in selling it back to us for double the money, plus GST.    :soapbox:
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline B6mick

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2006, 09:17:12 AM »
The answer is so easy.
The nips work efen hard, efen long hours, and for sweat f*#* all.
So if ya wanna work for two tenths of nothing, I'm sure you lot as well as our lot, could compete against the japs and koreans, till then get over it. :duh:
Foot loose and fancy free.
Looking for adventure and what ever comes our way.

Offline WEINERDOGBONE

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2006, 09:22:27 AM »
The only time I'll take that crap is when an Old WWII Veteran gives it to me. They have earned the right to give me crap about buying from Japan.  I had an old timer try to attack my Jeep one time because he thought it was a Toyota. Of course, after I restrained him, he realized that he had made a mistake.

I buy what I like. My $.02.

Offline aussiebandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2006, 09:26:14 AM »
Hey, Mick, don't get me wrong, I don't object to the Jap/Korean cars and bikes, lets face it, if it wasn't for the Japs we wouldn't have mass produced in line 4 cylinder motorcycles, and if it wasn't for Korea we wouldn't have cheap and disposable cylinder cars.

My only gripe is that the Aussie motor industry keeps trying to push the Made in Australia thing, when half the shyte comes from overseas.  And, I'm not talking just Holden and Ford, but Toyota and Mitsubishi as well.  At least with the later you expect a far bit of Jap input.....
AUSSIEBANDIT (MICK)
02B12

"Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool"

Offline scooter trash

• Board Homesteader!
  • Never Be The First To Get Old !
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2006, 09:33:22 AM »
I get that sometime too. I just tell them I do buy American. I’ve got two Harleys at home. Today I’m riding this one because I wanted to go fast, not slow ride from bar to bar.

:motorsmile:  :motorsmile:
00 Red Bandit 1200S (Gone But Not Forgotten)
96 Red Harley Springer
04 Sportster
11 BMW R1200RT
scooters - in - the - wind

"Hollow Points" - From Those Who Care To Send The Very Best

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2006, 09:45:37 AM »
The guy is a throwback to the 1960s/1970s.  His comment was stupid.  Buy American when the product is competitive, don't when it isn't.  There is no American product competitive with the Japanese motorcycles.

Besides, why care where it comes from?  Care if it is a quality, reasonably priced product.  Geez, Harleys and Buells have parts on 'em from all over the world.  Anyone who thinks The Motor Co.'s stuff  is exclusively American made is sadly misinformed.

Personally, I can't find any products that match The Big Four for quality, performance, and price.

And that's the truth!  :beers:

Offline Sven

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
  • Drop the puck!
    • My site is always under renovation!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2006, 09:58:09 AM »

Uh, are you supposed to be spouting "Buy Canadian"?
2003 Suzuki Bandit 1200S | el Bandido de Cerceta | the teal bandit
2010 Yamaha FJR1300A | Gin Tama | the silver bullet
2002 Honda CRV | the dirt-colored car

Offline Dragbike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2006, 11:26:28 AM »
Yah well yes, a lot of stuff is made "Not in the USA" :yesno:
I have been telling people for years that " My father was stationed Japan in the 50's and I might have kin folk there! I know I don't have any relatives in Milwaukee  :grin:
Brent
01 Bandit 1200S
99 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide
89 GSXR 7/11 w/turbo
88 GSX600F Katana w/1127 :)
82 Harley FLT
79 Harley Super Glide FXEF
I’m getting Old--- I remember when Sex was safe and Motorcycles were dangerous!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2006, 11:32:56 AM »
I do my share, I've got several Jeeps, two of them were built by American Motors Corp. (can you get any more 'American' than that?  :grin: ),
also a Buick and a Holiday Rambler (owned by H-D) motorhome.

So I'm just spreading the wealth with Asian motorcycles - two Japanese and one Chinese.
Hey, the longshoremen need to earn a paycheck, too!  :bigok:

I'm doing my part for my Canadian friends, too... my Geo Tracker was built by Suzuki Canada.

Sorry, no European vehicles in my current inventory, but I have owned a few in the past.

:motorsmile:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Daytona

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 11:59:47 AM »
Most off shore CO's stuff made here by citizens of the stars & strips! With fake cards! Like construction Co's down here hire for half, charge the full price! pocket the excess. Buy property and build big house in the Bahamas!  The American way! :roll:

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2006, 12:00:36 PM »
I don't know who I'm supporting with my vehicle purchases!  :shock:

If you read the window sticker on my Saab, it tells you engine from one place, transmission from another, etc.  I don't know about the Audi, but I imagine it's the same.  The Taurus wagon of my wife's, well, where's all that made?  My daugther's Aerio?  All in Japan?

Of course, Chryslers have been made all or in part in Mexico for decades.

See what I mean?  There's no point in trying to Buy American, or Buy Australian!  It's an outdated ideology.  Something the "old folks" say, cause they don't know any better.  :motorsmile:  I'm 49 and I know better!  :lol:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2006, 12:08:05 PM »
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"
I don't know about the Audi

Either built in Germany with Turkish labor or built in Brazil.
Might get more 'German labor' in a Brazilian one?  :grin:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2006, 12:13:23 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Quote from: "Desolation Angel"
I don't know about the Audi

Either built in Germany with Turkish labor or built in Brazil.
Might get more 'German labor' in a Brazilian one?  :grin:

Your Honor, I rest my case!  :lol: