Author Topic: How is the 1200 for pillion duty?  (Read 4560 times)

Offline makenzie71

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.twowheeledpassion.com
How is the 1200 for pillion duty?
« on: September 08, 2010, 01:34:18 AM »
I'm considering dropping my '81 GS750 and getting a B12...but I'm needing a bike that will handle some mild sport riding and be good for a day trip with the missus.  I know there's plenty of power, and the bikes are fairly sporty, but how are they with an extra 110lbs on the tail?
...dotdotdot...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
Re: How is the 1200 for pillion duty?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
It will wheelie even easier.  :bandit:

Now, if the missus will be good back there for a day will be up to her.  The ergos (ie; high foot pegs) are similar to a sport bike, though there is more cushion for comfort.  My wife demanded a backrest so she wouldn't feel as though she might fly off the back.  She did do a 3-day trip with me once, but on the last day, she said she'd never do that again.  She doesn't like how high her feet have to be.  All she'll go for on it since then is a couple of hours, max.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 11:53:00 AM »
My wife doesn't enjoy riding on my B12 much without my corbin seat with the backrest installed.... but the backrest is the part she "needs", not so much the seat.

Offline makenzie71

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 02:13:55 PM »
I thought about the pillion pegs being high...but I can drop them if I need to, plus she's short.

Of course I would obviously be looking to get something like a Corbin seat and backrest...plus GSXR cams, exhaust, and either a drop-in or pods.

I really like the 1st gen B12's...is there any reason why I should avoid them and get a newer one?
...dotdotdot...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:06:20 PM »
No real reason to avoid the 1G if that's what you really like.  OTOH, there were some improvements made with the 2G that you won't get, like better front brakes and better steering geometry.  Personally, I think the 2G has a more comfortable seat, too.  My son has a 1G and I have a 2G and I think the 2G is easier to work on - ie; bodywork is easier to take apart/put back together.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline makenzie71

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:43:53 PM »
What years were the 2g?

Brakes aren't a real concern...I have a TL1000S front end laying around that'll find it's on it.  My concern will lay with the engine...I've heard horror stories about earlier b12's, but can't really find any real substance in them.
...dotdotdot...

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »
The 2G B12 is 2001-2005. 
More info in our wiki here.

I can't recall any horror stories on the 1G.  The only B12 horror story I know of concerned 2001 and early 2002 2G models.  You see, when Suzuki made all the changes with the 2G in '01, one of the things they changed was the pistons.  They enlarged the oil holes in the oil control ring grooves in an effort to improve top end lubrication.  To make a long story short, on some bikes this worked too well and made them oil burners.  There was no recall, but if owners complained, Suzuki would replace the pistons with part numbers from the earlier 1200's.  By the middle of the 2002 model run, they had quit using the "improved" pistons and reverted back to the old style.  Though to make it look better, the new old-style pistons have a new part number.  To make this bad story worse, early '01 owners with the issue had to complain very loudly and were often accused by Suzuki of abuse and/or neglect before Suzuki finally realized there was really a problem.  I would think by now, any '01 or '02 oil burner (and remember, not all had an issue) would have been fixed.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline makenzie71

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 07:16:17 PM »
Thanks for explaining the oil burner thing...that really doesn't sound like a big deal even if it is a smoker.
...dotdotdot...

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:38:02 PM »
The b12 is certainly good for pillion duty if as mentioned you figure out how to get your passenger comfortable. Of course you can 'feel' a passenger and its not as nimble with one but it certainly handles the extra weight very well. Thats the beauty of torque.
I would never discourage somebody from modifying their bike but to be honest if you plan to  put on the TL1000S front end you are totally changing the bike. The geometry will be very different, and the handling as well. Just something to keep in mind, the original bandit has what I like to call inherent stability, shorter forks alter 'trail' drastically causing a change in handling. I like it... most of the time, but it certainly is nothing like it used to be, and while I don't have my damper installed yet, I would advise anyone going with a shorter fork to get a damper.
Can it handle 'mild sport riding' certainly, but it'll make you work for it, this can be fun as long as you understand it going in. I never knew how much harder i worked on the bandit, until i rode some real sportbikes and laughed in my helmet.
I haven't had a ride on my bandit that didn't put a smile on my face, and I've ridden if on long rides, short rides, spirited rides and plain old commuting. I've ridden it with passengers, mostly much heavier than I am, and it has not disappointed me.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline makenzie71

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:59:31 PM »
The beauty of TL1000S forks is that they're the same length as the B12 forks (plus or minus half an inch).  TL1000R forks are the short ones...but still about half an inch longer than early Hayabusa forks.

Thanks for the advice, though.
...dotdotdot...

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
I know even half and inch can make a big difference. You wouldn't believe what moving the forks by half an inch does to my track bike, I know it's totally different, I just want people to keep it in mind.
Actually the TL also has a nice front fender... had to cut over 80% off the busa one to get it to look even half right.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline makenzie71

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2010, 09:24:23 AM »
Oh yeah I'm not trying to say it wouldn't make a difference...I'm was just trying to say it's not as aggressive what you have done.  I'm not stranger to suspension modifications and retrofits...my 1981 GS750E has a full FZR600 front end (much shorter than stock), a widened and braced swingarm, 13.5" shocks (+1"), a 17X5 YZF600R rear wheel, and a few other tinkerings here and there.  I don't think I've owned a bike that I didn't make some dramatic change to the suspension...even my TL1000S had TL1000R forks lol.

I just prefer those beefy inverted forks.

Right now I have a B12 located about 300 miles from me...not too far...for good money.  It's a 2002 S with some slight body damage and a bad issue with just not being ridden.  If I can get my car sold I'll probably try and convince the missus to let me pick it up.
...dotdotdot...

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 09:08:09 PM »
any updates? Did you get it? I'd be excited to read about another bandit transformation on the forum. It's nice to see all the various takes on the bandit.
'03 R6 trackbike