Author Topic: I've joined the club! Just bought a '05 B1200!(pics)  (Read 2964 times)

Offline rider123

• Board Homesteader!
I've joined the club! Just bought a '05 B1200!(pics)
« on: October 23, 2005, 03:40:38 AM »
Well I'm a kind of person who can't resist a deal so when a dealer in my neck of the woods had a 2005 Bandit, black for $7999 Canadian ($5000 USD?) It came to $9816(MRSP is $10,600before taxes!) Out the door with a new plate and whatnot.  I just had to have it. Ironically I have my current ride in the shop getting a new stator put in! Oh well, at least when I sell my current bike, someone is going to get a hell of a deal. Here is what I ride now:

1984 GS750EF

And in great shape. But here is my new bike(same model not mine specifically):

Hopefully I'll get the bike this week so I can get at least a couple of weeks on it before putting it into storage. Just a a quick question, does anyone have the factory engine case guards? They look a lot more unobtrusive than the other ones I've seen out there. I asked the dealer but he couldn't find it in the suzuki catalog but it is on the suzuki.ca website.

Here is a pic of the official suzuki case guards:

Part#99950-70514

Another question, has anyone put frame sliders on their bikes? If you could mount a slider just below the fairing and have engine guards, in case of a tip over no paint would ever touch the ground.

I really like a couple of small features in regards to the lighting on the bike.
1. Is the "Pass" high beam flasher you can signal other cars and what not even while the clutch is pulled in, very quickly. I think we've all tried to quickly flash our high beams on the standard switch and its hard to flash speedily or effectivly, great little feature that cost Suzuki all of about 2 dollars to make, but enhances safety.

2. Hazard lights, this should be standard safety equipment on all bikes. How many times have you've been stopped at the side of the road and wished you could leave a flasher on to warn drivers but if you use your signal lights it confuses the drivers into thinking your turning? We all know the cagers don't need any extra confusion when it comes to bikes, they are plenty confused without any extra help from us!  :wink:

The one thing that I don't like, is in Canada, the government goes totally Jihad with warning stickers. How Jihad you ask? Well look at this insanity, they take the "nanny state" principle to the next level:

As you can see there are no less than 5 stickers at different points on the bike(even one on the swingarm!), with such mind blowing principles as "Always were a helmet" in English and French even though it's law already and "Don't drive under the influence of achohol or drugs". They are also a nasty flourescent Orange and the stickers glue is gummy as hell. My suggestion instead of potentially wrecking the paint of YOUR bike they should just equip the dealers with a rubber mallet and a questionaire. If you answer "yes" to such questions as "Have you ridden on the street without a helmet?" or "Do you drive drunk and high?" The dealer knocks you out with the rubber mallet and puts you in a cab that send you to the nearest car dealership. At the minimum they should either equip each bike with a supplimental paper with all this warning stuff on it or give you the stickers so if you really "forget" to wear a helmet you can put the stickers on yourself.

The only reason I can come up with that someone out there in the biking universe got drunk and high and rode without a helmet and said in court "Well there was nothing on the bike that said I shouldn't wear a helmet or drive drunk and high"  :duh:
2005 Bandit 1200, Modified Holeshot Stage 1 with 17.5 pilots 2.75 turns out, and 110 mains 5 shims. Muzzy Slip on w/mid-pipe, stock filter. 1.5" hole in the airbox lid.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2005, 05:48:19 AM »
The US version gets just as many stupid warning stickers, but ALL the stickers come off the bike easily except the "SUZUKI" or "S" logo (depending on year) on the tank.

On the engine guards - the general consensus is the Suzuki Accessory ones are the worst. They are prone to cracking - and worse, they've been known to cause damage in a spill instead of protect.

There are various crash bobbins/sliders out there, but I don't know of any that mount up high enough to protect the frame - unless something like this would:

I'm not sure I'd want guards that attach to the oil gallery plugs though...

Most Bandit sliders mount more like this:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline billster

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/billst/03gsf1200/
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2005, 05:48:20 AM »
Congrats on the new ride!  :banana:   :banana:   :banana:   Great deal you fell into, btw.

Black's TOUGH as hell looking!  Enjoy. (Hear ya re: the stickers and the lawyer mentality.)

Billster
The older I get, the better I was.

'03 B12N
'77 R100S
'78 XS650 (project underway)
'74 CL200

Offline Cruisecontrol

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2005, 07:06:54 AM »
Perhaps they only need one:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2005, 07:12:07 AM »
Or two:

Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline dsartwell1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2005, 07:15:53 AM »
Sweet B12. Wish we got that color here. Black is a love/hate relationship. Get yourself a whole bunch of Honda Spray Polish, wax, wash mits etc. cause you're gonna need them. Good items for the Christmas list. Congrats on the new ride. :banana:

Offline fake

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2005, 01:22:00 PM »
I thought the 05's only came in the blue and white like in my avatar; or is this only for the US version?
2005 B-1200S Limited

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2005, 01:59:20 PM »
Quote from: "fake"
I thought the 05's only came in the blue and white like in my avatar; or is this only for the US version?

Canada and Europe get black. :sad:

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 11:52:23 PM »
On the engine guards - the general consensus is the Suzuki Accessory ones are the worst. They are prone to cracking - and worse, they've been known to cause damage in a spill instead of protect.

I believe I read something that it was the older guards that were a problem child. I know of a B12 in AZ that went down and the case guards bent a bit, but did the job quite well.
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2005, 12:14:40 AM »
Well, for some strange reason, US Suzuki quit selling them a year or so ago.

Suzuki in other parts of the world, including our Canadian neighbors, still sells them though.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline yolloms

• New user!
    • http://photobucket.com/albums/b28/yolloms/
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2005, 04:41:14 PM »
hi evry1. New member from ireland here. Got me a new 05 bandit 600 in sept n i love it.