Author Topic: It must be the full moon  (Read 3853 times)

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« on: January 31, 2007, 10:52:29 PM »
There has been a weather warning in place for the past couple of days.  Yesterday the wind was blowing strong enough to blow tractor trailers off the highway.  Today was promised to be the same strong, gusty winds only today we had the additional bonus of snow.  Heavy snow at times throughout the afternoon and the snow was blowing sideways.  The main roads were wet and the side roads are ice, and at 4:30 in the afternoon it was getting worse.  

I was heading home on a main road, one which passes under a freeway.  As I was crawling along I happened to look up at the over pass and I see a – Helmet -- ? As the Helmet moved along to an opening in the guard rails I see that the helmet is on top of an idiot, and the idiot was on a GSXR, and he (guessing the idiot is a he) is mixing it up with rush hour traffic in a snow storm a notch or two short of a blizzard.

It can happen here that a rider can be caught by a sudden change in the weather.  Today was no freak storm.  Everyone knew it was coming, and this duffus choose to put cagers in the position of having to avoid a bike that can’t make turns at speed or chance a sudden stop.

Sorry no pictures, and there were none on the evening news which is a surprise.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 11:03:18 PM »
Wow...I give him bonus points for guts, and take 10x points away for brains... :shock:

I went skiing here today, that was great. Temp was cold (-15C/5 F). I wouldn't have wanted to be on a bike, and your not that far away from me. We had sun (only on the top of the mountain). No snow though.  :beers:
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline H2RICK

• Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 02:37:41 PM »
Yep, Greyhound, it takes all kinds....and some doofuses have even been known to ride Suzukis..... :grin: .....although, apparently, they ARE more prone to riding Gixxers rather than Bandits. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Nope, #17 is safe and dry inside my garden shed and she'll stay there for quite awhile yet.....especially if we have our usual on-again, off-again foothills Spring weather. I'd love to live in a climate that allowed me to go riding whenever I felt like it.....and that AIN'T anywhere in the Great White North, that's for sure.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Ignorance is curable. Stupidity is terminal.
2006 B12S (my new LD road ride)
1976 Suzuki GT550A Mint/Stock w/5K original miles
1978 Kawasaki KZ650C2 Mint/Stock w/2K original miles
1973 Kawi H2A Semi-hot rod
Various other projects in the wings

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
It must be the full moon
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2007, 02:41:35 PM »
Quote from: "H2RICK"
I'd love to live in a climate that allowed me to go riding whenever I felt like it.....and that AIN'T anywhere in the Great White North, that's for sure.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You could ALMOST get away with it in Vancouver - as long as you don't mind ridin' in the rain.

I'm just an hour or so south of the border and I don't have to winterize the bikes, but it does get a little too slick to ride a few times a year.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2007, 02:47:32 PM »
What, and miss the Vancouver Rain Festival?

(January 1 to December 31). :stickpoke:
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
It must be the full moon
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »
Seattle has it's own Rain Festival, but it runs from July 4th to July 3rd.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 02:51:06 PM »
Geez that happened to me when I was leaving Calgary in May after a track school...the day was warm and a cold front came through about 4 in the afternoon...I made it to Olds before my visor started to ice up with freezing rain...not much fun
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline smooth operator

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:17:01 PM »
When I was young I used to take my dirt bikes out in the snow. Used to take my 400 suz. or Dad's 500 trophy trail hunting w/ my rifle slung over my back.( Deep snow burns up clutches) But a street bike and street tires,no way!
  We had I 90 closed from NY to OH closed for 14 hrs last week. still debree left in the comedian and the sides of the roads ,just a few miles from me.The forcast has artic winds coming across the lake for the next week. With every day more snow. My wife asked me when is it going to stop, my reply was "probably in 3 months". Its just winter. I'll have to dig out more firewood this weekend. its under a tarp,wich is under a pile of snow.  Dan

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 08:21:47 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"

Damn!  I'm gonna miss it when I go there next year.   :duh:

Offline 06 Greyhound

• Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 10:30:18 PM »
Quote from: "H2RICK"
I'd love to live in a climate that allowed me to go riding whenever I felt like it.....and that AIN'T anywhere in the Great White North, that's for sure.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

You could ALMOST get away with it in Vancouver - as long as you don't mind ridin' in the rain.

I'm just an hour or so south of the border and I don't have to winterize the bikes, but it does get a little too slick to ride a few times a year.

I doubt that anyone is getting to ride everyday this year. Most of the southern states have had snow.  All the places that aren't supposed to get snow have had more than they know what to do with.

Maybe the nutcase on the GSXER is not so hard to understand afterall.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 11:12:19 PM »
Maybe the sucker doesn't listen to news reports.  :duh:  Then again, maybe he was (is) a messenger. In New York City, I am forever impressed by bicycle, scooter, and motorcycle messengers that ride in the DEAD of a winter snowstorm like it's nothing. :shock:

I have no clue how this is done, but boy would I love to know how. I've seen these guys riding bicycles, scooters, and motorcycles in snowstorms. It's their livelihood, and somehow (probably with many bruises and possibly some broken bones) they learned to do it like it's nothing. :toocool:

There's one guy at my local bike shop who is seasoned at this (years of riding since a young man on scooters as a messenger in Manhattan in any weather condition) and thinks nothing of it to ride his GOLDWING in a snowstorm!

I don't personally know this guy, but I love this guy. I wish I had such incredible talent! It would certainly serve me well once I finally do my trek across the USA.

Offline Ranger

• Board Homesteader!
  • Resident Felon
It must be the full moon
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 12:02:00 AM »
:beers:
Note to self: Leave no witnesses

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
It must be the full moon
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007, 12:30:51 AM »
In winter It only get down to the 40-50's Dec-Jan here in Bullhead city Arizona but the humidity is so low it feel like 50-60's when the wind is not blowing. So in winter the activities here are in the desert canyons riding dirt bikes or ATV's and shooting. Mar-May is street riding season 70-80's with the 25th annual Laughlin River Run 60,000 motorcycles will invade the place again April 25-29 this year with lude venues geared around motorcycles, even free security valet parking . Jun-Sept it is easier to street ride in Michigan in winter then here in 105-115 degree and 0 humility, this is the time everyone is splashing at the river or lakes which remain a constant 65 degrees year round. Oct-Nov is our 2nd spring 70-80's when the street bikes come out again before winter.

Offline solman

• Board Homesteader!
It must be the full moon
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 02:53:25 AM »
What's wrong with putting bikes on the road during a snow storm.  I had both of my bikes on the road today while going thru a few snow storms and icing conditions in Texas and New Mexico today.  Oh btw, did I mention that they are in a U-Haul truck?
03 Naked Bandit 1200 <br />Vitamin B12, its great for the soul!

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
It must be the full moon
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2007, 11:19:18 AM »
Quote from: "PaulVS"

Damn!  I'm gonna miss it when I go there next year.   :duh:

:?:  :?:  :?: Ummm... Just how are you gonna miss it? :?:  :?:  :?:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)