Author Topic: Just finished the Experienced Rider course  (Read 2671 times)

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
Just finished the Experienced Rider course
« on: August 13, 2006, 04:27:15 PM »
Well, I just got home from ERC, and I have to say that I would really recomend it for anyone who wants a refresher on low speed manuvering skills.  One of the best parts was when they made us walk the line with beer goggles on!  :beers:  

I was thinking that this would be a great course in the spring, after a winter lay-off.  In Pennsylvania, the course is funded by a couple extra bucks on MC registration, so it's free for PA residents. :bigok:

Just wondering how many folks out there have taken the course, and what they thought.
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline curiousmike

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 11:31:40 PM »
I paid ~ $70 about 10 years back to take it here in Cali.

I thought it was fairly useless.

I believe in a more offensive riding approach, and think their should have been more emphasis on how experienced riders go down:
1 - Lack of ability to threshold brake.  Yes, there were braking exercises... but like 5 minutes.  That should have been 2/3 of the course.
2 - Peeps turning left in front of you. 30%
3 - Drinking and riding and how phucking dumb you are to do it: 3%
4 - Paying attention to drivers who have unsecured loads on the back of the vehicles and how you're guaranteed to have a shovel, pool, or gas can jump out and chase you.

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2006, 01:30:54 AM »
I took it in NJ, had to pay the full price for it, and thoguht it was a ripoff. It was a rehash of the BRC. Nothing new was taught. I was hoping to pick up new riding skills to expand upon what was taught in the BRC. Zilch.

While I may consider the dirt riding course from MSF, I don't think they have anything else to offer to the street rider. I think the dirt course will do more for street riders than the ERC and anyone here contemplating ERC should chuck the thought and consider DRC instead.

If you're feeling rusty in the spring if you don't ride all year 'round like me, get a copy of David Hough's PROFICIENT MOTORCYCLING and review basic maneuvers in a parking lot. I recommend re-reading Hough's book every spring as well.

Offline Tundrahog

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 01:39:12 PM »
I guess I went into the course with different expectations.  What I was expecting though was a version of what I do in the spring anyway (yes I use David Hough's book as well), except there is somone there to watch and give pointers.  That's exactly what I got.  I don't know how much real world experience you can teach in a course.

It probably could be expanded without significantly increasing cost or creating safety issues.  My thought was something as simple as having the instructors throw obstacles (tennis balls?) in front of riders, as they rode around, or recreate road hazards (wet, slippery road surface).  We did have an opposing force recognition portion of the class as some soccer Moms in minivans were dropping their kids off for practice. :duh:

So, I would still recomend the course, although I don't know if I would pay more than $40 or $50 for it.  Being free for me, it was well worth the 6 hours of my time, and I would probably run through it again every couple years.    :bigok:
Jon

2004 Suzi B12

Offline zaphoid42

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2006, 08:36:17 PM »
Way back many years ago, I took the basic course.  The instructor had us ridding over two by fours.  We did things like intentionally lock the rear brake.  Shift without the clutch.  He let us run the course for time.  Lots of fun.

Took it four years ago and had a saftey nazi good time.

The instruction / course was so watered down and ball less.

Time flies.
2002 GSF6

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 06:02:40 PM »
>>The instruction / course was so watered down and ball less.<<

Sadly, the MSF has become another victim of corporate dictatorship. If you're not familiar with the situation, go here:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/proficient_motor.asp

and download and read "Trouble in Rider Training", parts 1, 2a & 2b, as well as "The Fuss About Rider Training" parts 1 & 2.

Finally, check out "Is This the MSF's Secret Plan".

It's a very sad state of affairs.

Offline GaryB12VA

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 09:29:16 PM »
I took it a couple of years ago mainly to get an extra 10% discount on my insurance  :wink: I did learn a couple of things. Mainly that I need to keep my head up when looking through the turns.

It was offered throught the local community college and I think the cost was about $75.
'06 FJR 1300A

"The person who says it can't be done shouldn't interrupt the person who is doing it"

Offline mainerider

• Board Regular!
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 09:58:53 AM »
Took it when I got back to riding after a few years off.
Had never had any courses, learned from good friends and bad mistakes.
Found the classroom part not great- could have been cut down to about 20 minutes.
Found the practical part helpful.  Learned some stuff I had never figured out on my own.

HH

Offline LowRyter

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 07:15:52 PM »
I took it perhaps 20 years ago as required by my job.  It was basically riding slalom thru pylons, braking & shifting.

This guy actually demonstrated what is meant by countersteering by leaning over a stationary bike and showing how the fork actually turns.  He expalained how the term itself confused people.

I thought it was OK.  Kinda what you make it.  If you ask questions and experienced instructor gives you good answers & demos it can be really good.  If they guys can't give you a straight answer & you ride in circles, that would suk.

New and rider returning to the sport need to know how to use the front brake.
John L

1998 Red Suzuki GSF-1200S
1998 Red & Cream Moto Guzzi V11 EV
2001 Greenie Moto Guzzi V11 Sport