Author Topic: KRAUSER TOP RACK and K5 Luggage issue  (Read 8937 times)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
KRAUSER TOP RACK and K5 Luggage issue
« on: April 12, 2005, 09:30:02 PM »
Hi everyone, Having an issue with the krauser top case (k5) and top rack system. I purchased it from Riderhaus some 18 months ago, used it about half that, half of that without the top case on.

Well, I have problems, BIG Problems. I noticed the other day that the thing was wobbling and nowhere as secure as it once was. On further inspection, I noticed that there was a crack on my rear cowl top section where the rear grab rail is (the TC-rack).

On further inspection, and after taking my seat off, I noticed that the Metal brace (the TC-rack) that holds the screw casings that enable the rack to be secured to the bike,  is cracked on one side and pulling off slowly from the frame at the back of  the bike, hence the wobble. I have never had any more than 5-10 pounds of maximum weight in the K5 case  itself, and mostly less than a couple of pounds in weight, So overloading the case and putting excess strain on the brace was never an issue. I dont  know how this has happened, but I did notice last year that the k-wing rack would cause "creaking" in the surrounding parts of the bike when grasped on  to at all.
I am going to have to take the rear cowling off and hopefully get the metal bracket, RE- welded to the frame and on the one side where it is actually cracked in two, welded together.
I can see no other reason for the damage other than the rack and  top case  not being able to be sufficiently supported by the bike frame,and  fatiguing prematurely causing fracture.
In the event I am actually able to get the repair done, I am hesitant to put the k-wing and top rack/top case back in use, as I am concerned of  the same thing happening again, knowing fully well that generally speaking, when welded again, the fix is generally stronger than before, even still, I hesitate to re-apply.

I sent this concern to twistedthrottle.com for consideration, as the "riderhaus" site I bought the equipment off no longer exists as a distributor/dealer, and all previous e-mail/links I had was automatically forwarded to them. They in-turn sent off my concerns and pics to krasuer in germany.

I got the following reponse from Krauser...

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 4:30 AM
To: Twisted Throttle Ltd
Subject: Re: k wing and krauser top case big problem...help?

Hello,
the TC-rack of the Bandit 1200 from 2001 on isn´t very strong.
It can be loaded only with 5 kgs. / maximum speed 130 km/h.
If the driver loads too much and/or drives too fast, there is
the danger,  that the rear frame will break.
On the mounting instruction, there is an indication to the
maximum load of 5  kgs.

Best regards
Rainer

I e-mailed Erik Stephens at Twisted throttle back with a second e-mail, and asked that it be forwarded to krauser, They have indicated that they will help as they are able. Erik at Twisted Throttle mentioned to me that  "Twisted Throttle Ltd is only a dealer for Krauser; Riderhaus was a separate dealer for Krauser."  and that" We will do our best to facilitate an information exchange between you and Krauser, but please understand that product technical performance is something we as a dealer do not have control over."
Twisted Throttle can be reached at...

Erik Stephens
Twisted Throttle Ltd.
1080 Kingstown Rd, Building #4
P.O. Box 338
Peace Dale, RI 02883
401-709-9383 (phone)
707-922-7276 (fax)
info@twistedthrottle.com
www.twistedthrottle.com

So, I e-mailed Krauser directly after a prompt reply from Eric at Twisted throttle with the necessary contact info.. with the following...

Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 12:17 pm
To: rainer.heidenreich@krauser.de  
Cc: vertrieb@krauser.de , info@twistedthrottle.com , simon jones
Subject: Re: FW: k wing and krasuer top case big problem...help?

Dear sirs At Krauser.

Presumably, you have been aprised of my predicament via Twisted throttle Ltd out of the U.S.over the damage done to my motorcycle by your product which was purchased via Riderhaus approximately 20 months ago.
I would like for you to know that I too am also very aware of the load parameters and speed restriction with the unit. However,  I have never had more than 10 pounds of weight at ANY one time ( 5 Kg equal to exactly 11.02300 lbs, and that very rarely. Also, I have never taken my motorcycle past 120 Kmh with the case on.
With these restrictions adhered to via personal responsibility to stick to the manufacturers guidelines and recomendations, I am perplexed that this would still happen. I also dont recall any fine print or other warning with regard to the TC-rack being weak anywhere displayed in your advertising, and definately not from the previous riderhaus website, or twisted throttle for that matter.
I certainly am not in the businesss of making an investment of over $500 CDN with the full knowledge that that investment will be made redundant and rather valueless within 2 years after the purchase and use of that product, As I am sure neither are you . ( Note: The motorcycle with the case attached has been used less than 6 months, and the rack without any case attached, less than 12 months as ther are 5-6 months of NON-RIDING weather here in Canada.)
I will ask you for a response "other than" information as to the weakness of the motorcycle manufacturers TC-rack. That and the assumption that the product was not used within manufacturers specs, as I have stated, which is not the case.
Damage has been done to my motorcycle via use of your product, Up until now, I have been a fan of your product and was planning on purchasing the side case units this year via your "twisted throttle" dealer in the U.S.
I need a more constructive response with regard to my concern other than the abrupt and presumptous implication that I havent used the product within the factory/manufacture tolerances, (the following examples would be better routes to take, i.e :"suggestions on how to avoid this from happening again, should I decide to take a chance and re-install you product after the damage is repaired" or/and "some sort of Compensatory gesture that will help with regard to the repair of the damage done to my motorcycle as a direct result of your product.)
I have held Krauser in fairly high regard and have reccommeded your product to fellow riders on several occasions during its time via showcase appeal on the back of my bike. I trust this free advertising is not in vain.

If a mutually satisfactory outcome is achieved for both of us, then this can and will be the end of my problem, However, If, Again, I appear to get the "brush off' from your organization, I will have no choice but to pursue further action. Not the least of which will be posting and documenting my entire experience with your product on the web and within private Motorcycle forums for the benefit of all potential consumers.

Im not sure how customer service works in europe, as it has been many years since I left there, however, Customer service and product support is paramount here in the west I can assure you, This Im sure can be vouched by your U.S distributor/dealer also.

your customer,

Simon R Jones

I havent heard back any response yet, then again, I only recently sent the e-mail. So I'll keep this post.. POSTED? :) and update as things develop. I'll also attempt to upload all my pics of the damage.

later
Simon Jones :motorsmile:
(snubnoze)

Pics below of the damage...

SNUBNOSE, Alberta, Canada
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
Sw Motech rear rack - V46 Top case
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends
007 special license plate feature ;)

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
more on the krauser situation
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 03:41:38 PM »
I recieved an e-mail from Erik from twisted Throttle stating that "the newer Bandit has a notoriously weaker subframe than the original model."  Here’s a quote from Rainers E-mail in Germany (krauser-manufacturer) to Erik Stephens of Twisted Throttle [/color]“

(The following Quote is from "Rainer"@ Krauser, NOT Twisted throttle)
In Germany, we had 2 or 3 broken rear frames on Bandits (model after 2001) at more than 1000 sold rear racks.
And the drivers admitted, that they had overloaded the rack.  It is 100 % a problem of Suzuki (because the rear frame is too weak for a Touring bike). The "old" Bandit has a very stronger rear frame and there hadn’t been any problems.”
[/b]

Erik went on to note that, maybe Krauser can be asked for replacement parts for any Krauser parts that are damaged, but that I may want to "avoid putting much weight in the new bandit rack or tailsection, given the lower strength of this Bandit as compared to the older model."  
Erik suggested that this particular bike may be ill-equipped to handle a lot of tail weight.

I responded with the following, and to ask that my e-mail be forwarded to Krauser...

Erik,

The actual Krauser items were not damaged, just my bike, both the rear plastic (when the metal underneath finally gave way) and the "tc rack" or "subframe" rack itself.
Q: Does the Manufacturer of this product not do product development and research on the application they are selling and advertising as a "great" product for the Bandit, before they market it?.. or is this all done by hindsight?.. as in .. after the fact.. and after there are "casualties". If other industry like, say, the medical or pharmaceutical industry took that approach to their products, we would be looking at  very, very big problems.
This Product "They" promote, even with adherence to the "manufacturers" tolerances and guidelines still failed to perform even adequately close to what they claim, especially when you consider the misleading information of 5 kgms of weight maximum, when if any passenger on my bike uses the case as a safety/security rest for their back via the optional back rest, then that would n't that equal more than 5 kgms of weight?.  So why does the case have a back rest option pad on it?... isn't this a bit misleading?????   In retrospect, For sure the pressure of any passenger on my bike when I accelerate is what probably contributed to the fracture in the brace...They have completely mis-marketed the product if it is not meant to be used by passengers, there shouldn't be a back rest option at all.

If you look at the photographs you will see slight corrosion in the cracks and that the other side was starting to give way also, this indicates gradual failure until one last bit of pressure, "broke its back" so to speak.

So Krauser takes no responsibility for the design of their system, or for marketing it as an accessory that is to be used with their own specs/tolerances, even if adhered to?. Again, the implication in that last body of text you sent from krasuer is that, "Others" admitted to overloading their case, what does this mean, That "I must of done the same?", This is insulting.

Lets not forget about the back rest option here either? Does Krasuer not expect any contributing factors here either?.. there is absolutely no mention of the forces exerted by a passenger on the backrest and its tolerances or maximum loads??? Or is the passenger only supposed to be a 6 year old?. Again, misleading advertising and providing a product and optional accessories for a product that cant possibly perform as per its marketed claim!.

Suzuki certainly wont take responsibility for the weakness of the tc rack, no difference to adding a aftermarket roof rack to a car and IT causing damage to the car!. Ford, Volvo or Nissan, cannot accept responsibility for the damaged roof due to aftermarket product? can it? realistically?. No. the fault would be with the manufacturer of the roof rack for creating a product that both fails to live up to its claim of maximum weight and for marketing an accessory that contributed to the failure of the "roof" that eventually collapsed?

Why is it so hard to get companies to stand behind their product, and further more take responsibility for its failure?.. both in Design standards and promoted claims?.. I guess the rear back rest/pad option is only to "look" functional?, just like a bad fitted set of false teeth!.

This concern will grow in momentum, of this you can assure Krauser, I havent decided yet wether to take further Legal action against the company, as the costs of doing so might outweight the cost of the product and the repair to boot, not to mention the "international" obstacles to get over. Maybe others in Europe, put up with erroneous claims and misleading advertising more than us in the west, could be, I know my grandparents in europe did just that.

The Forum posting will stay, because others need to know about the inferiority of the product that Krauser produces. I know Givi wouldnt make a product that can damage the Motorcycle its designed for, Too much to loose.

Sincerely,and Gravely dissapointed
Simon Jones

So there you have it, I doubt I'll hear from Krauser again, unless its in a court of law, which I am considering, even though it is an expensive process.

As for their claim..."Krauser luggage racks represent the very best of German engineering and design -- quite simply, these are the Mercedes of the synthetic motorcycle hard luggage market."

If I were Mercedes, quite frankly, Id be worried about a comparison like that.

Until next time.
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

We are not what we think we are, We are not what others think, but rather, we are what we think others think we are!

Offline PeteSC

• Board Homesteader!
    • SouthChinaLady
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 04:13:47 PM »
Good luck.   Krauser has a decent rep for quality.  I'm a little surprised. :duh:
Spartanburg, SC
'99 Bandit 1200
'03 DR650
I'm really a very hot, sexy,lesbian, trapped in this fat, middle-aged, male body......

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
quality rep
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 05:29:40 PM »
Yes, you are right. the quality of the PRODUCT ITSELF is very nice, good looking too and functions well as far as the locking/opening/closing and removing the case from the toprack is concerned.

I WAS very happy with it indeed.

It's the ACTUAL APPLICATION of it , its weight limit claim, its continued use, and damaging the very thing that makes its own usefulness and existence possible! .. Not thought out by its designers at all!

thanks for the encouragement though.
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 08:10:53 PM »
Am I understanding this correctly?
Your rear subframe, the Suzuki-made metalwork under the bodywork, is what failed?
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
response to Red01
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005, 09:02:16 PM »
yes you are correct, I believe it is called the "TC Rack" . it has evidentally progressively getting worse and worse, as indicated by the corrosion along the crack without my knowledge and then one day came one crack too much!...Check out the pics...

http://members.shaw.ca/simonjones/issue.htm

I already had an estimate and providing I can get the rear plastic off, the fee for repair will be about $120 US, as they would need to brace the weld also in a few different areas, especially if I end up keeping and using the luggage/rack system. I wouldnt want it to happen again though, so that is why I want it done extra strong (more than factory).

The welder guy says by the looks of it the whole tc-rack (subframe) was only spot welded to the frame. (Hard Black goo looking substance on pic #5, which is also as you see starting to fracture around the thread casings).
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005, 09:42:06 PM »
Maybe it has to do with the design of the Krauser bracketry being different from other brands? Seems that Givi is the most popular aftermarket hard luggage fitted to our steeds, and I don't recall any of them having these kind of issues. Nor anyone with the Ventura Pack Rack systems.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline FlyingTurtle1

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 10:04:35 PM »
Wow, those pictures don't look like fun! Hadn't heard of this problem with a Bandit but have heard from several 'Busa owners that this has happened to.
Terry Humphreys...No longer a Bandit owner
'06 FJR..stock for the moment....

Offline Bazza

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2005, 02:36:32 AM »
I did have a look at Snubnose's damage 1st hand today over coffee, and would second his concerns.

I was just about to purchase the same set-up and will opt out as a result. I will go with Givi instead.

From what I can see comparing the Krauser & Givi set-up's Givi braces their mounting rack in several places conecting to the Tie down bolts along the bodywork, while the Krauser concentrates all the stress in a very small area on the tail.

In discussion with snub, he informed me that Krauser only recomends a 5 kg load in the rear case. Fine I say, but I will go out on a limb here and say that a 150 lb passenger would put much more stress on the thing while just leaning against the backrest. (What a suprise as the Missus goes missing) After viewing the damage on snubs B-12, it does not take an Engineer to see that the design has a huge flaw.

Knowing snub well, I can say I have never seen his case bulging with anything more than a rainsuit or gloves.

Here is what I mean...

Krauser Rack

Givi Rack:

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 11:18:46 AM »
I just purchased a Renntec Rack for Rev's Performance and the connection points are the same as Krauser's.......  The load limit on the Renntec is listed at 2.5 kilos and you can bet I won't be exceeding that after viewing the pictures.    :shock:
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
Hey Baz
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 03:21:23 PM »
Sorry about your change in mind over which case/luggage to go with. As I said, I was quite fond and happy with the krauser system as you fully know until my unfortunate discovery. I was the one I think who sold you on it, didn't I? I liked it that much!.

If I ever get the issue resolved to my satisfaction (krauser to pay for damage) I may re-install the product with a "conservative" approach to their  "liberal" tolerances. What choice do I have? ...Sell it on Ebay and have some poor unforunate soul suffer the same consequence?.. To add insult to injury, it would be another bandit owner to boot!.. NO WAY MAN!

However, If this case is not settled, I may have to trash the system and save up enough $$$$ AGAIN! to go with a more secure and solidly and THOUGHT OUT built/designed system like GIVI. I prefer the looks of the krauser rack, however, if it comes down to looks or quality/craftsmanship, I now see the error of my vanity.

Simes
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline echomadman

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.echomadman.com
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 05:19:00 PM »
Ah buck-passing, the typical response of any company confronted about defects in its products, good luck with trying to get some satisfaction and recompense out of them.

one thing though, you keep referring to "the west", last time i looked us euros were considered westerners too :)
1990 GSF250 Bandit (currently getting a gsxr400 engine transplant,
2000 SV650S

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 06:49:01 PM »
Thanks for the pics Bazza, that helps explain things a lot. Looks like the Krauser mount fits similar to the OEM accessory luggage rack, which also has a 5 lb. limit. Seems like you'd be pretty close to that 5 lb. limit if you just put the case on the rack.

My Ventura rack mounts in locations similar to the Givi, so the load is spread between the mounts were all four OEM bungee spools are.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
Quote from: "echomadman"
Ah buck-passing, the typical response of any company confronted about defects in its products, good luck with trying to get some satisfaction and recompense out of them.

one thing though, you keep referring to "the west", last time i looked us euros were considered westerners too :)

Sorry about that, I guess I meant the kinda west that is more"WEST west" as In 'Wild west?". I used to live in the UK, so it seems to me like going west meant I "ended up in the west?". :roll:.. Im now totally confused.
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends

Offline Snubnose

• Board Homesteader!
  • Cos For why?
more on the issue
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 08:12:12 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
Thanks for the pics Bazza, that helps explain things a lot. Looks like the Krauser mount fits similar to the OEM accessory luggage rack, which also has a 5 lb. limit. Seems like you'd be pretty close to that 5 lb. limit if you just put the case on the rack.

My Ventura rack mounts in locations similar to the Givi, so the load is spread between the mounts were all four OEM bungee spools are.

The LOWER mounts you speak of I believe attach to the actual "thick" part of the main frame of the bike, not the 'Subframe sheet metal" part like the upper mounts do. there-in lies the main the difference I guess.

By the way, Erik @ Twisted Throttle asked me to kindly take out his the actual e-mails he has sent me as he does not want them published publically. I understand his concern, So I have honoured his request to do so and merely "generalized" the conversations that have occured between him and I.
I did mention that I will not remove my e-mail copy to either himself(twisted throttle) or Rainer(krauser), as I my intention here is to educate/document consumers of our "ongoings' and developments, (or possibly lack there of). I firmly believe the consumer has a right to know the kind of "after sales service" one can expect from ANY company.
2003 B12S - Silver
Stock 06' pipe
3 shims on each needle
Zero gravity SR
PAIR Block off Kit
Salamander Bar Ends